2010 Best Picture Oscar Nominees

Tools    

Which of these gets your vote for Best Picture?
25.58%
11 votes
0%
0 votes
THE BLIND SIDE
6.98%
3 votes
DISTRICT 9
2.33%
1 votes
AN EDUCATION
39.53%
17 votes
THE HURT LOCKER
11.63%
5 votes
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
2.33%
1 votes
PRECIOUS
2.33%
1 votes
A SERIOUS MAN
4.65%
2 votes
UP
4.65%
2 votes
UP IN THE AIR
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

For the first time since 1945, the Best Picture category has been expanded back from five to ten nominees in this category. Vote here however you want: for what you think will win, what you want to win, or for what you'd actually mark down if you were an Academy member and had a ballot.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In the Beginning...
I think it's a very real possibility that Avatar will take this, but if I were voting, I'd struggle between Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker.

And it boggles my mind why Inglorious Basterds is even nominated.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
THE HURT LOCKER.

A Serious Man has no chance.

Suspect's Reviews

I reckon The Hurt Locker should take home Best Pic, but Inglorious Basterds would be fine too. Heck I'd even be okay with Avatar.

I think the "real" competition is between Avatar, The Hurt Locker and Inglorious Basterds and if it is, then I would like The Hurt Locker to win as I much prefer it over the other two.

But I'm not going to vote for that because it's not the film I would vote for if I were on the "academy". I'm going to throw a vote District 9's way. Just because out of all of the films on the list (of those I've seen), that's the film I most enjoyed.

I've seen seven of the ten and I'll get to the other three before the day, but still going with The Hurt Locker.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My vote's for The Hurt Locker. I feel a female Best Director Oscar win coming this year.
I agree with you.

This may be dumb of me, but I voted for Precious, even though I haven't seen it.

I really wanna go see Precious now and all that I've seen in previews of it looks really good. Maybe I'd end up hating the movie or something, but... I've really only seen two of those films so far (Inglorious Basterds and Up) and of the two, I'd definitely pick Inglorious Basterds... but I'd like to see Precious win. I liked Inglorious Basterds, but it's not as good as Tarantino's older films, in my opinion. Even though it has a great ending.

I think Avatar, another film I haven't seen, will win, though. (ugh - sorry, I can't help but prejudge things I haven't seen.)

The Hurt Locker - because it's the only film that should even be on this list.

A system of cells interlinked
I've only seen half the films on the list... Out of what I have seen, I would have to go with District 9, even though it really isn't something I see winning, realistically.

It's safe to say that Avatar will win this. Hollywood loves James Cameron. They also love movies that makes shiploads of money.

If there is one movie on that list that will be a rival to Avatar, it will be The Hurt Locker. Inglorious Basterds would be a surprise win, if it does win, and I wouldn't be upset if it does win!

Rule Britannia....
Should be Avatar, not because of the storyline but the whole experience for me was amazing.

Sixty-five years ago The Oscars shrunk the number of Best Picture nominees from ten to five (there had been as many as twelve in some of the earlier years of the award). In all those years since going down to five, The Best Picture winner and Best Director winner have differed only thirteen times. Back from the '49 to '53 ceremonies it happened four out of those five years: 1949 Hamlet/John Huston (Treasure of the Sierra Madre), 1950 All the King's Men/Joseph L. Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives), 1952 An American in Paris/George Stevens (A Place in the Sun) and 1953 The Greatest Show on Earth/John Ford (The Quiet Man). Once in the 1960s: 1968 In the Heat of the Night/Mike Nichols (The Graduate). Once on the 1970s: 1973 The Godfather/Bob Fosse (Cabaret). Twice for flms released in the 1980s: 1982 Chariots of Fire/Warren Beatty (Reds) and 1990: Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone (Born of the 4th of July). Then there was another spate of separation where it happened recently four out of the eight years from 1999 to 2006: 1999 Shakespeare in Love/Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan), 2002 Gladiator/Steven Soderbergh (Traffic), 2003 Chicago/Roman Polanski (The Pianist), 2006 Crash/Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain). All of the others since going down to five Picture nominees in '45 have been the same Picture and Director, and for the thirteen that were different all those Director's films were Best Picture nominees.

The only ONE instance in sixty-five years that the Best Picture winner's director did not even get a nomination was Driving Miss Daisy. Despite the big prize and four wins out of nine nominations, the Australian Bruce Beresford (Breaker Morant, Tender Mercies, Black Robe) somehow didn't make the cut on the ballot. He had been nominated back for Tender Mercies, but not the Best Picture winner of the 1990 ceremony. Still seems strange. He didn't get a nom from the DGA, either.

All of that Oscar history preamble is to reinforce that anybody who thinks The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, A Serious Man or Up have ANY realistic shot of winning the top prize are delusional. Which is why I think this expansion back to ten Picture nominees is a waste of time. The theory behind it, besides the fact that you've now doubled the number of producers and Studios who get to promote their product as "Best Picture Nominee" on the DVD box, is that now there is more of a "mix". They believe that because of that mix the television audience for the Oscars will magically expand so that the kids and casual moviegoer who don't care about the usual kinds of dramas (and often box office under-performers) that have garnered most of the Picture noms will now tune in....to watch their favorite not win. How exciting!

If you look at this year's Best Director nominees you can figure out four of the likely five Best Picture noms had it still only been a limit of five in the category: Avatar, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, Precious and Up in the Air. Of those, I'd say Avatar, Hurt Locker and Up in the Air were locks for noms, even with only five spots, and you likely would have gotten at least one of the other two for the fourth spot. In the past fifteen years alone, Picture and Director matched up exactly only twice in 2009 and 2006, matched up for four out of the five in ten years, and only had three of the five match up three times: the differences being in 2002 In the Bedroom & Moulin Rouge! Picture/Black Hawk Down & Mulholland Drive Director, 1996 Apollo 13 & Sense & Sensibility Picture/Dead Man Walking & Leaving Las Vegas Director, and 1995 Four Weddings & a Funeral & The Shawshank Redemption Picture/Bullets Over Broadway & Three Colours: Red Director.

So let's assume for sake of speculation at least four of the five would have matched up this year. That fifth spot would have been filled by a more mainstream piece like The Blind Side or Up, or barring those two even the British drama An Education. So going back to the Picture winner always being either Best Director or at least a Best Director nominee, that would have left really three movies as the only ones with a realistic chance: Avatar, The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air. Which, you know, is where we are anyway. Why not name twenty-five movies as Picture nominees? It's always going to come down to two or three of them anyway. The rest are 100% superfluous.

Now going back to the Best Director category and that Kathryn Bigelow has already been named Best Director for the DGA Awards which is a near-lock of a predictor, we're down to a two-horse race for Best Picture this year: Avatar or The Hurt Locker. Both lead the pack with nine total nominations each. Avatar does not have any nominees in the four acting categories. It used to be almost unheard of for the Best Picture winner not to have even one acting nom. Going all the way back to the 1948 ceremony, in those SIXTY years the only Best Pictures not to have any actors up for awards were An American in Paris (1951), The Greatest Show on Earth (1952), Around the World in 80 Days (1956), Gigi (1958), The Last Emperor (1987), Braveheart (1995), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), and last year's Slumdog Millionaire (2008). Eight times in sixty years, four of those coming in the 1950s, though it has happened for two of the last six, and one of those was an FX-laden mega-blockbuster.

The biggest thing The Hurt Locker has going against it is its very small box office take, because unfortunately this is the business of show doing the voting, and very often that rears its head. Now obviously just about everything ever made has a lesser box office take than Avatar, which has made a couple BILLION and is still going strong. But The Hurt Locker made about $17-million as a worldwide TOTAL. I mean, people in the biz made some derisive comments about the 2006 ceremony where Crash and Brokeback Mountain were the favorites, movies that "nobody" outside of Hollywood had even seen supposedly. But even there, while their final numbers were surely boosted a bit by their Oscar nominations, Crash made about $55-million in the U.S. and nearly $100-million worldwide while Brokeback $83-million domestic and $178-million total.

So you can look at all the percentages about this or that and the historical Oscar trends, but it may simply come down to the more fiscally-minded Academy voters not being able to ignore one of the biggest successes in their history in favor of a movie that made barely a dent at the box office, no matter how good or bad it may be. Not that Avatar needs a Best Picture Oscar to validate it, but the disparity between the two front-runners in regards to money may be too incredibly lopsided for the underdog in the bomb disposal suit to overcome the odds. I'd like The Hurt Locker to win, or even that there is some jaw-dropping upset that nobody predicts and Up in the Air is the movie printed inside the envelope, but no matter what I want the deck does seem stacked...even if it is a computer-generated deck.

There remain some who believe art should be celebrated over commercial success.

The Hurt Locker is substantial art. It may win on that alone. There is an element of integrity - even if it is mostly pseudo intergrity for the purpose of posing. Does Hollywood dare give Avatar the big award simply for it's FX? They did this for LOTR. Once is enough in so soon a time span.

Also, because Avatar has made so much money it does not need the big prize. The Hurt Locker would benefit in a huge way and make much more money if it won the award. This would make the investors of the film happy. So, there is that factor as well.

The main thing that makes a movie a success is advertising. Bad movies make money if enough cash has been spent of adevertising. Few films defy this law.

Avatar, I would guess, initially spent over forty million in advertising. Since it has made so money, even more has been spent.

Movies like The Hurt Locker and the little movie Moon had no money for advertising and most people never knew they even existed until they were on DVD - or something like the Oscars nominates them.