The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

MoFo Reviewers

Manchester By the Sea

Acting in Manchester is excellent. Much of the movie is Lee, and Casey Affleck deserves the attention he’s received for creating this character. Everybody else in the cast is similarly believable. Michelle Williams is excellent as Randi, as is Lucas Hedges as Patrick. In fact, everybody in the cast is excellent and completely believable. It’s definitely an actor’s movie, a low budget drama and not a visual spectacle. Effects and action are near zero since the entire film is about plot and characters. It has a lot of dialog and personal tension. It’s set in several very old towns in coastal New England and has a lot of thick accents. The genealogy of the people involved in the movie (Affleck, Damon and a minor character who may be from the Wahlberg family) suggests that this film is something very personal, being part of the world where they grew up. Sometimes the fruit does not fall too far from the tree.
Read the full review here.

Spotlight

McCarthy and co-screenwriter Josh Singer also hit a bullseye with the impact that this investigation has on the personal lives of the Spotlight team, or more specifcally, the lack thereof. These four people appear to have no personal life at all and always seem to be at work. We learn early on that Rezendes is married but we're well into act two before it is revealed that his wife left him because of his obsession with his work and, sadly, he really doesn't seem to care. The investigation also reveals startling personal connections to Robinson, Carroll, and Pfeiffer that might make some back off, but these reporters never take their eye off the prize, even when their investigation is stalled by the events of 9/11.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)

Handyman Casey Affleck is supposed to become the guardian of his nephew (Lucas Hedges) when his brother dies, but this brings back many hurtful memories of his past in Manchester, Massachusetts.
Spotlight (Tom McCarthy, 2015)

Boston Globe reporters Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo consult with editor Michael Keaton (middle) about the pedophile priest story.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Two more great entries that I didn’t vote for. I’m really digging how this list is shaking out.

Manchester was really close to making my list. I have liked every movie Lonnergan has made, and often have wished he was more prolific. I’m super glad it made the list so Rauldc will still talk to me after not putting it on my list.

Really enjoyed Spotlight as well, but it is stuck in that 4/5 score for me, and there were just too many of those this decade for me. I’m sure it would have made a 100, if I made one.

I watched Gone Girl last night- it would definitely make my top 50 of the 2010s. The film just has an inherent grip, where it totally flies by its run time. It doesn't over-rely on its twists & just keeps a consistent tension. Never overreaches. I would've wished for a little more humanization on the Amy character, even by going back to what created her as she is, but honestly just a great movie.
+

Haven't had a chance to watch any of the other last three films

Two excellent films that just missed out on my ballot. I expected Spotlight to be higher. My thoughts:

Manchester By The Sea: An emotionally devastating film with an Oscar worthy performance from Casey Affleck. With an excellent screenplay, this is one of the best films of last year.

Spotlight: A really well written, intelligent, and powerful film with great performances from a terrific cast.

Seen: 36/38

I've seen Manchester By the Sea. It's fine and has a great central performance from Affleck, but I wasn't in love with it or anything. It didn't make my ballot.

I haven't seen Spotlight, but I might get to it at some point.

I really like Manchester by the Sea and it would be around the halfway point of my top 100 of the decade, probably.

Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)

A film that in many ways revels in its lifelessness, the surroundings of Casey Affleck are never flashy yet the film manages to create a palpable atmosphere that eventually unravels to devastating effect. Affleck's performance captures the complex myriad of emotions involved in grief and loss.
I disliked Spotlight and have no desire to revisit it.

Spotlight (Tom McCarthy, 2015)

Nothing here really impressed me that much. Everything just seemed so standard, like a made for TV documentary but with big movie stars playing the parts. Nothing cinematic in the way the story is told, not through dialogue or visually. I felt like there were a lot of missed opportunities to go beyond what turned out to be a really simple plot. There were scenes, moments which seemed to be begging to explore in greater depth - the church and why the scandal occurred and why it was covered up, the priests who committed the abuse (a scene about halfway through is one of the most memorable relating to this, and is never again revisited), the victims and their story, or those who perhaps could have acted earlier. I'm not sure why everyone is raving about this, an easy comparison to make given the setting but it really is a poor man's All The President's Men. I saw too that Rachel McAdams got nominated for an Oscar for her performance... really really lazy nomination, not that she's bad, but she doesn't really have that much acting to do here.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Manchester by the Sea is a depressingly realistic movie that I don't feel the need to revisit. Powerful performances and I was with him in that police station sequence...I would have wanted to do the exact same thing.

12. Spotlight (2015)

A gripping story with a stellar cast. Keaton was in two back-to-back Best Picture winners and he is the rock in both. I was really engaged with this story and the investigation. It might have one or two "Oscar moment" scenes, but they are done well enough that I don't mind it. Spotlight takes away the bells and whistles of filmmaking to tell a straightforward narrative. The filmmakers don't need fancy shots and compositions to mask a thin story. Much like the journalists depicted, they just want to tell the story for what it is.

Suspect's Reviews

I have very mixed feelings about Manchester By the Sea. My aversion to Casey Affleck meant that I never had any intention of watching it, but then it was nominated in a Hall of Fame so I had to see it. I was really taken by its strong performances, even (and perhaps especially) Affleck's, and engaged by the story, but it's such unrelentingly heavy drama. I didn't think I'd ever have the desire to see it again. In the end, I did watch it a second time and had the same experience as the first. I will not be watching it a third time and I didn't vote for it, but I'm glad it made it without me.

I haven't seen Spotlight.

Seen: 21/38
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My move recent review for Manchester By the Sea:

Manchester By the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
(Rewatch)

When I first heard about this movie, I had absolutely no intention of watching it. The thought of sitting through over two hours of Casey Affleck was, in a word, unappealing. But in 2017 it was nominated for a Hall of Fame I was participating in, so it could no longer be avoided.

I was surprised to find a a quietly devastating and well crafted film that features some really strong performances including - and maybe especially - that of Casey Affleck. He completely embodied Lee, a broken shell of a man who suddenly finds himself thrown into the responsibility of arranging his brother's funeral and becoming the guardian of his teenaged nephew, all while having to return to a town that for him symbolizes tragedy and that brings out tremendous feelings of grief, guilt, and rage that were present before and separate from his brother's death.

The perpetual cold of the weather and the ever-present snow reflect Lee's numbness and add to the film's mood. I also really liked the way the film portrayed his interactions with the other people - the awkwardness of scenes like the funeral reception is palpable - and the way their individual struggles caused so much friction between him and his nephew. I felt very strongly for Lee's struggles and found myself crying for his pain in multiple scenes.

But as devastating and beautiful as it is, that heartache also works against it and makes for a very difficult watch. Also working against it is the fact that it offers almost no levity, no relief from the pain even for its audience. I came away from that initial viewing never wanting to see it again and I come away from this rewatch feeling much the same. If it takes a place on the countdown, I'll say in all sincerity that it deserves to be there but I don't think it'll have any of my help in getting there and I don't think there will ever be a third watch for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Aaaaaand we're back to no votes. I've seen all of Lonergan's features and though they were middling at best - whatever it is people like about his work, it simply does not click for me (while I have occasionally entertained the notion of revisiting Manchester by the Sea, deep down I know I never will). Spotlight is the better film, but I don't see myself revisiting it unless I want to try ranking Best Picture winners from best to worst.

We have now had three of the Academy Award Best Picture winners of the decade make the countdown: The Artist (#87), The King's Speech (#78), and Spotlight (#63). Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite remain.

I still predict we'll get eight of the ten. I don't think Argo will make it (though it is a good flick) and I sincerely hope Green Book doesn't make it (which almost surely means it will).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh! I knew if I said that clue wasn't the movie Manchester By the Sea then it probably would be Manchester By the Sea and it was Really solid movie too and just about made my ballot.

My review:

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

The first time I tried watching this I had to shut if off after the hospital and morgue scenes as I wasn't in the mood for such a depressing film, so I never finish it....until recently that is.

Going into this I expected to dislike it but...surprise! I actually thought it was really good. Even more surprising is that I didn't find the rest of the movie overly depressing. Powerful yes and somber too, but I like somber movies.

Casey Affleck was phenomenal in this as the depressed uncle with a failed marriage and a tragic event buried in his past. It was powerful how he was so deep within his own inner turmoil and kept his emotions bottled up...and yet we can sense he's been crushed inside and is utterly devastated by his losses.

Anytime an actor can nail a performance, the movie will get high marks in my book, and Casey Affleck won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance here. For once the Academy got things right!

I like movies that are grounded in reality without spoon feeding the audience or dumbing it down and Manchester By The Sea is very grounded in reality and intelligently made.

Yahoo! a 2nd movie from my ballot has made the countdown and it's a damn good movie!

My review:

Spotlight (Tom McCarthy 2015)

Based on the true life story of the Boston Globe newspaper investigate efforts to uncover a massive cover up scandal involving child molestation by priest in the Catholic Church...and an even larger cover up by the community.

Wow! what a powerful movie and sadly it's all true. Spotlight won the Academy Award for Best Picture and and another Academy Award for Best Screen Play. In this reviewer's opinion it was well deserving of both Oscars.

Spotlight is reminiscent of the 1976 classic All The President's Men. The focus of the movie is on the investigative efforts of a four person team at the Boston Globe called Spotlight. We follow the bread crumb evidence as the investigate team seek out and find new information to prove this huge conspiracy.

This is not a character driven movie, we hardly get to know the back story and personalities of the news reporters. We don't need to know much about them. The focus is on the uncovering of the molestation scandal.

We don't see much action, we don't see any of the priest actually abuse the kids. We do learn that an estimated 6% of Catholic Priest are involved in molesting children. We learn that the Catholic hierarchic including the Cardinal, look the other way as this abuse happens. In Boston alone we learn that there is a shocking 87 priest confirmed by their victims as abusing children.

66. Before Midnight (2013, Richard Linklater) 107 points
65. Gone Girl (2014, David Fincher) 107 points
64. Manchester by the Sea (2016, Kenneth Lonergan) 108 points
63. Spotlight (2015, Tom McCarthy) 108 points

Good crop of films there. Manchester by the Sea especially. Brilliant film, which was basically 26th on my ballot. None were though.

Manchester by the Sea is excellent. A depressing and deeply haunting movie experience. It was my #10.

I think Casey Affleck’s performance is one of the very best of, like, the last 20 years or so. It’s so masterfully subdued and subtle, yet he provides a whole lot with very little. I feel like I understand him completely.

The story was also almost a little too close to home. I had just lost my uncle unexpectedly at age 50. The whole story just seemed like it was scary close to my life. Of course, not as dramatic and all, but there was just something about it that made it eerie to watch and “improved” the experience so it really got under my skin. I need to see more Lonergan.

As for Spotlight, I pretty much agree with all of what Daniel M said.

These types of real life factual stories, which is a super interesting and often wild and groundbreaking story, just boiled down to a straight forward tv documentary that almost makes the real story feel “less” to me. You don’t have a great movie on your hands just because you have a great story on your hands. And I really feel like everything but the story is lacking in this film…

These are both excellent films dealing with difficult subjects, though Spotlight is easier to take because it's mostly operating at one remove from the crimes. I appreciate Manchester by the Sea's honesty. I didn't vote for either, but they were in that mix from 15-50.

We have now had three of the Academy Award Best Picture winners of the decade make the countdown: The Artist (#87), The King's Speech (#78), and Spotlight (#63). Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite remain.

I still predict we'll get eight of the ten. I don't think Argo will make it (though it is a good flick) and I sincerely hope Green Book doesn't make it (which almost surely means it will).
I still think that Moonlight and Parasite are sure shots. I also think Argo has an outside chance. It's a popular film with a well-known cast, and although I don't think it's great, it's competent enough to maybe sneak in a few ballots. I would say the same applies to The Shape of Water, but to a lesser extent.

That said, this countdown has had a few surprises so far, so I wouldn't really count anything out.

Two films I liked, but that I'm not that hot for.

As most people have said, Manchester by the Sea is finely acted and has a couple of powerful moments, but overall, it's not something that resonated with me.

Spotlight is one that I liked, but that I'm still somehow baffled for how much love and praise it gets. To me it was just *there* and I didn't find much in it to separate itself from other "newspaper" drama/thrillers. At least it was better than The Post!

So, here's where I'm at...

Seen: 30/38

My ballot: