Oregon people are freaking out????

Tools    

It doesn't seem to matter how busy the station is. We usually leave NJ late at night, and the gas stations are usually pretty empty when we're there. Even when we're the only car there, the attendants just walk away and it takes forever for them to come back to the pump. Sometimes they go inside the store and talk to the cashiers for a while and forget that there's a customer waiting for them at the pump.
Yes, that...
And one of my regular complaints is so many of them are on a Bluetooth, so you think they're talking to you, but they're not. They'll ask for your order then right when you start to tell them, they start talking (usually in a foreign language) and you think they interrupted you to ask you something, but they weren't even talking to you - so you start from the beginning, once again trying to communicate your request, but they just keep talking. There were times when I gave a guy my order 5 times, and each time he cut me off to talk on his phone, he'd jabber a while then turn to me with the pump in his hand and say "how much you want?" before doing it again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, that...
And one of my regular complaints is so many of them are on a Bluetooth, so you think they're talking to you, but they're not. They'll ask for your order then right when you start to tell them, they start talking (usually in a foreign language) and you think they interrupted you to ask you something, but they weren't even talking to you - so you start from the beginning, once again trying to communicate your request, but they just keep talking. There were times when I gave a guy my order 5 times, and each time he cut me off to talk on his phone, he'd jabber a while then turn to me with the pump in his hand and say "how much you want?" before doing it again.

And good luck if you're not filling up your tank. They don't listen when you tell them how much, and then they fill the tank and expect you to pay for it. I can't even count how many times Hubby had to jump out of the car and stop the pump because the attendant let it go over the amount we told him.

Yikes.

I've never had that happen when filling up in Oregon. Though I've not spent much time there, only ever passed through on my way to or from Washington and Idaho.

And good luck if you're not filling up your tank. They don't listen when you tell them how much, and then they fill the tank and expect you to pay for it. I can't even count how many times Hubby had to jump out of the car and stop the pump because the attendant let it go over the amount we told him.
Ha-ha! That's so true, gbg!
I always try to have my cash amount ready so I can hold it out the window and show it to them - so as I say "twenty" I hold the $20.00 bill up as I say it (to use as a visual aid what with the Bluetooth and them not listening to your amount request).

It happened to me once where I only had ten dollars on me and was out of gas, the guy let it go over and it created a huge hubbub since I couldn't pay the amount they gave me, yet I only requested 10! So ever since then I got in the habit of holding up the bill to them. And I always pay cash since using credit for gas costs more.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ha-ha! That's so true, gbg!
I always try to have my cash amount ready so I can hold it out the window and show it to them - so as I say "twenty" I hold the $20.00 bill up as I say it (to use as a visual aid what with the Bluetooth and them not listening to your amount request).

It happened to me once where I only had ten dollars on me and was out of gas, the guy let it go over and it created a huge hubbub since I couldn't pay the amount they gave me, yet I only requested 10! So ever since then I got in the habit of holding up the bill to them. And I always pay cash since using credit for gas costs more.

We always pay cash too because we don't trust them to not try to charge the extra amount if they go over. We just tell them that's all we have, and if they don't like it, they can siphon out the extra or call a cop.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Sounds like a real hassle. I'll stick with my old fashioned service station where I can have the attendant (or not) to fill my car with petrol and check my oil or clean my screens, mechanics on site if I need, they all know me by name and ask where I've been if I dont go in for a few days, all speak the same language - and not while speaking on the phone, and busy means there's one car at my preferred pump with an old lady taking her sweet time to move out because she's going full Cougar and chatting up the staff. At times like this it's nice living in a little suburban bubble.

So what happens in Oregon if you're a tourist and you decide to play dumb and fill up yourself - are the cops going to drag you off screaming?

So what happens in Oregon if you're a tourist and you decide to play dumb and fill up yourself - are the cops going to drag you off screaming?
The attendant will stop you and inform you that you're not allowed to do that. And, assuming you're not a dick, you get back in your car and let them do their job.

Well there are plenty of dicks around, so would the dick illegally using the pump be attended to by the police? Seems like a waste of resources. It's not like he or she is bashing an old lady.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just remember driving to Florida and having to pay BEFORE I pumped the gas...I thought that was weird. Where I live, I can just drive up to a pump, pump the gas and then pay inside, unless I'm using a card at the pump itself.

But to me, this is too funny. There are instructions on how to do it at every pump I'm at.

Suspect's Reviews

I just remember driving to Florida and having to pay BEFORE I pumped the gas...I thought that was weird. Where I live, I can just drive up to a pump, pump the gas and then pay inside, unless I'm using a card at the pump itself.
See, that's weird to me. Very weird. You have to prepay before pumping at every station I've been to here. Either you enter your card and it charges whatever you've pumped, or if you're using cash, you go in and tell the cashier how much money you want to put on whichever pump and give them the money, then later collect your change if you don't use all of what you paid.

Canadians must be some extremely honest people for the honor system to work like that. Here the stations would just be basically asking for people to steal from them if they did that.

In Sweden, you put in petrol, then go pay at the cashier.

With card payments, you put your card in, pump petrol, and when you stop, it'll deduct the money and print a receipt.

Most round here just go out and steal another when theirs is empty

Nah, not really - we pump and then pay for it after ..... it's a lot like coitus really

Here you just pump then go and tell the cashier which pump. I went to one station once, got petrol, and a drink and sandwich. Cashier only charged for the drink and sandwich and I didnt realise until I got home. I went back and paid.

When I was younger I remember options for paying first or not. Now it's like Miss Vicky said: you don't have to go in, but only because you can use a credit card. I never see gas pumps where you can actually pump the gas without entering your card first, though.

Here you can use a card first. I've just never used it.

LOL Ash!

So back to the issue of using pumps - are the pesky dicks who think they're in a hurry and have more important places to be so cant possibly wait five minutes for the attendant to do his job taken to the station and charged or issued an on the spot or in the mail fine? And if they have to wait for the cops who makes them? I mean I cant imagine some young guy at 3am standing over a behemoth tool who grabbed the pump himself. And how are out of staters informed - are there big signs at the station or on the bowser?

I don't think the pumps work until they are activated by the attendant. That's how they enforce prepay in us pump it yourself states.

I don't think the pumps work until they are activated by the attendant. That's how they enforce prepay in us pump it yourself states.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks Sean.

Thinking back on the time I forgot to pay for fuel, I'm wondering now why I didnt get an automatic fine in the mail. When I went back to pay it was a different shift so I assume the previous attendant would have just sent off the notification and my plate number/photo to the police but I guess not.