The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Why a week? If Back to the Future shows up tomorrow, for example, I'll know sooner that I was wrong.

You made the banner early, but you put Dorothy Michaels on the banner? Were you already sure that Tootsie would be on the list, then?

Die Hard is a great film worthy of a place in the top ten. Undoubtedly one of the finest action films ever made, it has everything you could want from the genre, some great fight scenes, fantastic witty dialogue, and memorable and respectably crafted characters including one of the greatest villains created in Hans Gruber. I had it at #16.

I think that The Terminator will be up next too, quite surprised it's ahead of Die Hard actually as there is not that much discussion about it around here.

Why a week? If Back to the Future shows up tomorrow, for example, I'll know sooner that I was wrong.
True.

You made the banner early, but you put Dorothy Michaels on the banner? Were you already sure that Tootsie would be on the list, then?
Nope. Wasn't sure Paris, Texas would be either. I picked mostly very popular 80s movies I knew would be on the list, and threw those two in because I like them.

Nope. Wasn't sure Paris, Texas would be either. I picked mostly very popular 80s movies I knew would be on the list, and threw those two in because I like them.
Very skeptical of this. What if they hadn't been on the list? It would be stupid to have them on the banner.

I think that Die Had might be the best pure action movie ever made. That's not as high praise as it sounds because the genre is full of mediocre movies that are very popular. Still, Die Hard is one of the few pure action movies that are actually great films IMO. I had it at number 10.

Disappointed that The Terminator is going to finish higher. Die Hard is light years ahead in terms of quality

Very skeptical of this. What if they hadn't been on the list? It would be stupid to have them on the banner.
I mean, I was pretty sure, given their reputation around here. I just wasn't absolutely certain like I was with the others.

too bad neither Big Trouble in Little China nor They Live made the countdown, love those movies. put em both in my top 10

I'm with everyone else who says Die Hard is the top of the tree in the action genre. I remember it being considered more of an action thriller when released, however, with time, the sequels and the fact that action films were as big and pumped up as they were in the 80's, it makes sense that the thriller part of it has been lost over time. However, I'd argue it's that thriller element which puts this so high on people's lists.

I had Die Hard at #8 and now there's only one more film to come from my list, which will make 11 in all. That's four or five short of what I predicted at the start.

BTW, who cares about what's on the bloody banner?

Oh! I got so caught up in my banner theory that I forgot to mention that Die Hard was #9 on my list.

haven't seen full metal jacket, but i like blue velvet. i'm not crazy about it, but it's a good movie. laura dern annoyed the crap out of me in it, though. in my top 60.

i love die hard. it's one of the few pure fun movies that i actually like. i had it at #6.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Are we certain that The Terminator will make it? I would definitely have thought Die Hard would be above it. There seems to be a lot more love for that movie here than TT.

Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What if they hadn't been on the list? It would be stupid to have them on the banner.
Yeah, Skepsis, it's stupid to put '80s movies on the Top of the '80s banner! That's not '80s! It's also stupid to see males and females alternating in those 11 films. Sexual equality is so pre-'80s!

Yeah, Skepsis, it's stupid to put '80s movies on the Top of the '80s banner! That's not '80s! It's also stupid to see males and females alternating in those 11 films. Sexual equality is so pre-'80s!

You mean post-80s...