Brokeback Mountain

Tools    

well, i don't know how this upcoming movies forum works, but i just wanted to share my excitement about this movie, it seems ang lee has made another brilliant movie,it's based on a short story by annie proulx,it's set in the early 1960's and it's about two cowboys ( played by the fantastic heath ledger and jake gyllenhaal ) who fall in love with each other and while one of them is ready to fight the social prejudeces , the other one is not so keen on it, so they go back to their "normal lives" , marrie, have kids...years later they meet again..and the old spark lights up again....and thus creates a lot of problems for them.......the movie won venice and i can't wait to see it.....

Originally Posted by adidasss
well, i don't know how this upcoming movies forum works, but i just wanted to share my excitement about this movie, it seems ang lee has made another brilliant movie,it's based on a short story by annie proulx,it's set in the early 1960's and it's about two cowboys ( played by the fantastic heath ledger and jake gyllenhaal ) who fall in love with each other and while one of them is ready to fight the social prejudeces , the other one is not so keen on it, so they go back to their "normal lives" , marry, have kids...years later they meet again..and the old spark lights up again....and thus creates a lot of problems for them.......the movie won venice and i can't wait to see it.....
Does look interesting.

There is a standee in my theater, which looks like its advertising the film - it's actually advertising the trailer. It states 'The trailer for Brokeback Mountain will play in front of 'so and so movie' (forgot the name) only in this theater." .....Strange.

I think it looks great! It's my second most anticipated film of the year.

There's treachery afoot!!!
I think this film will be really good as most of Ang Lee's movies are and I'm also glad to see a movie that is probably the first of its kind.

When is it out? I would like to see it.

Originally Posted by nebbit
When is it out? I would like to see it.

I think it is being released in the U.S. on December 9th, 2005...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

It has been nominated for a lot of Critics Choice Awards.

Somehow, I always knew that all those cowboys were gay...

and the Indians were the real studs!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
This is literally the fourth mention I've seen/heard of it today, and it's not even lunchtime yet. It's getting raves from real people, haven't looked at the critics' comments yet. (No offense to any critics.)

Female assassin extraordinaire.
it's got an 87% on rottentomatoes:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brokeback_mountain/

lord. i'm marrying jake gyllenhaal. he's totally my achilles' heel.

So many good movies, so little time.
Picked best picture by NY Film Critics, LA Film Critics and Boston Society of Film Critics

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

So many good movies, so little time.
I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. It seems not too many people are commenting on it despite all the awards it is winning.

I think Brokeback Mountain was a very important movie. Like Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) and Philadelphia(1993) it attempts to educate the audience on an aspect of society with which they might not be familiar or comfortable. In the two previous movies the director had built in witnesses through whom he tried to have the audience view the situation. In Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner we watch the movie through the eyes and commentaries of two of the most distinguished actors of all time, Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. As they become acclimated to the situation and come to accept it, the director hopes the audience will also. In Philadelphia we are educated through the eyes of Denzel Washington who was at first homophobic and ignorant about aids. As he gets educated the the audience does too.

In Brokeback Mountain Ang Lee takes a much braver approach. He doesn’t have us view the circumstances through anyone’s eyes. He could have used one of the wives but he chose not too. He just presented the a story and trusted the audience to accept it for what it was. He didn’t attempt to Hollywoodize the movie in anyway. He made both characters somewhat flawed. Ennis doesn’t even know the name of the man his daughter is going to marry even though they have been going out for two years. Jack takes up with prostitutes in Mexico and takes on another lover. Ang Lee presents the characters as real people, not as heroic characters. He is showing us what these ordinary people had to go through because of the climate of the time they lived in. I don’t think he is passing judgment on them in any way.

As we look back on Brokeback Mountain in 20 years I think we will look at it as we look on Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. Perhaps not a great movie but certainly a very important one.

i had to share this and seeing as how this is the only proper thread about the film i'll post it here. this is a comment from a croatian movie forum:

"Film je dosadan! Nisam homofob, ali ako je to, toboze, nesto sto nije nastrano, zasto u svakoj seriji mora postojati kao lik simpaticni homoseksualac koji je zenin najbolji prijatelj i zasto postaju tema filmova? ako je to nesto normalno, ne treba ni isticati! iako mislim da nije normalno i da, nazalost, postaje trend! filmu dajem -2! jedva sam ga pogledala do kraja!"

translation:"The movie is boring! I'm not a homophobe, but if this is, supposedly, something that is not perverted, why does there have to be a likeable gay man in every tv show who's the woman's best friend and why is it becoming a subject of films? if it's something normal, you shouldn't flaunt it! even though i think it's not normal and, sadly, it's becoming a trend. i give the movie a -2! i almost didn't finish it!"

priceless....

Lets put a smile on that block
I've been meaning to write about tis on here for a while now. When i went to the States over Christmas, there were a ton of movies i wanted to see as they mostly come out a few weeks before they do over here in the UK.So on the night i decide to go see this with my family at the AMC on the Disney complex, we find its not showing. When we asked the ticket lady why it wasnt showing, she said apparently the distributors didn't feel it was the correct movie for showing in that area. Apparently the subject matter was a little too extreme. If we really wanted to see it we would have to write to the distributors and if they recieved enough requests they would show it.
What a stupid attitude. So instead we had to opt to see something else. One of the options available was Hostel. A film with a much more tasteful subject matter

We opted for The Producers.

This is just a film that I'm really glad got a LOT of attention and was what everyone expected to win Best Picture at the Oscars this year. I am sorely disappointed that it lost to Crash, a movie that I haven't seen so I don't know if it really deserved the award over Brokeback Mountain. I felt it should have won because there really hasn't been a film like it that was mainstream. The stuff in the film really wasn't anything new to me, but I loved how it was all filmed. I watch many independent gay films that you've probably never heard of and what was refreshing was the fact that it didn't have things like... dance music, clubs, drag queens, that kind of stereotypical stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, it was just nice to see a larger, more cinematic gay flick with ... COWBOYS! What could be hotter to a gay man than a cowboy?