What's the Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Tools    

I agree Poltergeist (1982) is one of the scariest movies
especially if you see it as a kid.

There are also some alfred hitchcock movies that are scary
such as vertigo and psycho

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ( Tobe Hooper, 1974 ) - From the opening sequence to the final frame, I was terrified. The violence is startling and realistic, but not overdone. One good example is the scene in which Leatherface suddenly looms up out of the darkness, wielding his chainsaw, and kills the wheelchair-bound Franklyn, as Sally runs off screaming into the night. We are horrified by this brutal killing of a victim who has no hope of escape, but the murder is played for shock, not disgust. We are not shown the gruesome details of Franklyn's death; the idea is enough. It may be this down to earth approach to violence that helps make the movie so unnervingly believable. The unexpected and outlandish humor of the movie also contributes to its effectiveness.

Going back a few years....I was 8 when I first saw Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" and it terrified me to the point that to this day when I see a flock of birds anywhere I make sure I get away from them. I know it sounds ridiculous because I am now 51 but Hitchcock did his job very well!

Hi, this is my first post. I will have to go with the original Dark Water. I felt like I had been run over after watching that. As a kid, it was Phantasm. That tall man haunted me for years

Going back a few years....I was 8 when I first saw Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" and it terrified me to the point that to this day when I see a flock of birds anywhere I make sure I get away from them. I know it sounds ridiculous because I am now 51 but Hitchcock did his job very well!
oh me too! and I'm a year older than you!

JAWS - think about the first time you went in the ocean after seeing it.

TCSM - disturbing

The Town that dreaded sundown - creepy

Blair Witch - at the time in the theater & that ending!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Halloween (1978)
A Tale of Two Sisters

http://hiddenmovieblog.blogspot.com

Welcome to the human race...
Seems I haven't answered this thread before for some reason. I guess there are different kinds of scares and different kinds of films to nominate but for subjectivity's sake I nominate The Evil Dead.

The Grudge , is the best. "Alien" and "The king" is very near to them.

Whoa... I know kung-fu!
It wasn't the scariest movie that I've ever seen, but I recently watched deadgirl on DVD at my job. I'm a projectionist at a digital movie theatre, and at night, once all the movies are up and running, there isn't usually much to do. All alone in a projection booth, this movie creeped the **** out of me!

Actually the scariest movie I have ever seen would just be silly to me now, but I saw it when I was very little. I do not remember the name of it but I remember it was about a guy who chopped up his wife into pieces. The wrapped pieces of her body came back to live and went after him.

ring 1 (american version)
jaws
6th sense
blue velvet
dark knight
Fly 86 version

I agree with the old version of the chain saw massacre, but it's more grotesque and delightful, than scary.

Anything with Goblin (a band) freaks me out. Especially Profondo Rosso.

I don't scare easy so the movies you all speak of don't bother me at all. The scariest/creepiest movie for me was the movie FIVE. It was about a smart bomb that only killed, but did not destroy buildings. There were 5 people left alive in the USA and of course they had to fight. It starts out in a city with sirens going off. I was a young teenager and it was made during the cold war. After watching the movie, every time I heard sirens I thought of Five.

For me it was the Omen (the original). I found that movie very terrifying. The suspense in this movie is amazing. I belive this film is the master of scary movie. Watch this alone at in middle of night with lights shut on your own. Its bound to give you a scare! http://www.toppinz.com

I've seen my fair share of scary movies, ranging from the very good (Exorcist) to the just plain silly (Sleepaway Camp) and I loved them all. Even took a class about them and why we love to scare ourselves.

But the one movie that to this day still gives me nightmares is Interview with a Vampire. Its not so much the movie itself, but Tom Cruise in that silly blonde wig and accent. For months after watch it for the first time I could see him peeking through my blinds watching me in my sleep.

Also the classic 1922 film Nosferatu. There was an old episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark that feature him coming out of the movie screen and trying to kill the kids running the theater. After watching that episode I made my parents rent the movie only to then scare me to the point that now 19 year later I'm still completely terrified of Max Shreck.