Denis Villenueve seems to be trying to be Christopher Nolan so hard

Tools    

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
When I came in here I had a duck on my head and now it's gone.

Someone is stealing ducks and I won't stand for it.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

It generally seems on message boards that people call this mask a reference to Cesar Romaros TV Joker and....I don't see it. The design of it looks almost completely lifted from The Killing, a movie which I believe Nolan has said in interviews was an influence on the scene.

I think you're right that the use of clown masks is mostly intended as a way to bind these men to the influence of the Joker but, when it comes to what influenced it's look, I'm literally only seeing Kubrick. And even if everyone else is seeing Cesar Romero, it is certainly more than enough to use as a way to push back against these tenuous claims that Villeneuve is a Nolan wannabe due to some very minor similarities.

Basically, if your going to hate on Villeneuve for having influences, it's silly to let Nolan off from similar accusations
I'm not familiar with the TV joker mask, so I can't speak to that. From the comparison picture sent upthread though, I would say that the eyebrows, nose, and mouth on both masks look different. I'll have to look up if Nolan gave any interviews on the subject though. Either way, the thematic reason for the criminals having the clown masks was my main takeaway from them.

As I lightly implied though, my posts aren't really intended as a defense of jcaleb. I don't think he's making much sense either. Just an offhand comment I was making.

What's the Nolan analog for Sicario?

Insomnia

This is a bad thread ofcourse...both are incredible directors and it's a crime they aren't competing for Oscars against each other every year. but that is neither here nor there

I mean if someone is going to hate on directors for having influences, then everybody needs to stick to the Lumière brothers output only.

Nah, The Lumiere Brothers just wish they had been born late enough to also be try-hard Nolan clones.

The trick is not minding
Nah, The Lumiere Brothers just wish they had been born late enough to also be try-hard Nolan clones.
More like Kubrick. I mean….everyone wants to be like Kubrick

More like Kubrick. I mean….everyone wants to be like Kubrick

But Kubrick was also influenced by Max Ophuls.
ETA: sorry, I lost track which part of the originality thread I was responding to. Ignore me.

Insomnia

This is a bad thread ofcourse...both are incredible directors and it's a crime they aren't competing for Oscars against each other every year. but that is neither here nor there
Insomnia is a remake! And the original is better than Nolan's effort too.

Sicario is an original film written by Taylor Sheridan. 2 very different pieces of work directorially.

Insomnia is a remake! And the original is better than Nolan's effort too.

Sicario is an original film written by Taylor Sheridan. 2 very different pieces of work directorially.

Well it's been a while but from what I recall Hillary Swank was a much bigger character in the US version than Hilde was in the Norwegian.

But if my memory serves me correctly about the three films...

Each film starts off with a dead partner
Revolves around a three actor shuffle of the a world weary cycnical vet (Pacino/Brolin) a murderer who is working with said vet (Williams/Del Toro) and a female POV characters (Swank/Blunt).

The films take place in diametrically placed environments (Alaska/Texas) which the film crescendos in a traffic scene (Logs/Cars)

Well it's been a while but from what I recall Hillary Swank was a much bigger character in the US version than Hilde was in the Norwegian.

But if my memory serves me correctly about the three films...

Each film starts off with a dead partner
Revolves around a three actor shuffle of the a world weary cycnical vet (Pacino/Brolin) a murderer who is working with said vet (Williams/Del Toro) and a female POV characters (Swank/Blunt).

The films take place in diametrically placed environments (Alaska/Texas) which the film crescendos in a traffic scene (Logs/Cars)
I'm not doubting similarities in plots and subplots. They are similar in that respect. I'm just saying that they are not comparable in terms of the Directors career paths and the choices they make.

Sicario is Villeneuve's 7th film. Insomnia is Nolan's 3rd. But the big difference is that Insomnia is a remake. It's a subjective matter but when making a remake, all the groundwork has been done before. The plot is there to manipulate and mould. With Sicario, the work Villeneuve and Sheridan would have had to put into the script would have been considerably different.

Exhibit A to prove my case -

I mean like a German shepherd

I'm not doubting similarities in plots and subplots. They are similar in that respect. I'm just saying that they are not comparable in terms of the Directors career paths and the choices they make.

Sicario is Villeneuve's 7th film. Insomnia is Nolan's 3rd. But the big difference is that Insomnia is a remake. It's a subjective matter but when making a remake, all the groundwork has been done before. The plot is there to manipulate and mould. With Sicario, the work Villeneuve and Sheridan would have had to put into the script would have been considerably different.
why then is he trying to steal the popularity of Nolan by marketing dune like a Chris Nolan movie - "you Gotta see this f&&&&&king thing on IMAX" and why are they even involving Nolan to market dune ?

why then is he trying to steal the popularity of Nolan by marketing dune like a Chris Nolan movie - "you Gotta see this f&&&&&king thing on IMAX" and why are they even involving Nolan to market dune ?
Because he's a nasty, nasty man.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
My duck is still missing.

Since it's an IMAX sponsored, "in conversation with directors," thing (the A24 podcast will also have a director interview another director), that quote sounds more like Nolan is marketing IMAX.

Yeah, how dare Villeneuve! Only Nolan is allowed to utilize IMAX.
I felt like this was always an unspoken agreement amongst thieves, scum, and villainy.

So your position is based on the idea that only one guy can make visual spectacles, and anyone else who wants to do that--in a highly visual medium--is aping him?

Also, were you unaware of the current fight about streaming releases versus theatrical ones? A lot of directors have expressed concern about "losing" the theater experience, so the idea that more than one would specifically want to emphasize it in their marketing is totally unremarkable. Scorsese's said the same sort of thing.

So your position is based on the idea that only one guy can make visual spectacles, and anyone else who wants to do that--in a highly visual medium--is aping him?
As far as I can remember, studios have been trying to sell audiences on a "premium" showcase for their movies since before Nolan was even in diapers. It goes all the way back to the days of Cinerama, at least. IMAX is just the latest in a long line of "premium" theatrical presentations.