‘The Holdovers’ Accused of Plagiarism by ‘Luca’ Screenwriter

Tools    

Speaking of, it's not clear what this ominous threat of tagging is supposed to represent. Tag them when...what? I don't see a single person in this thread claiming this will result in anything. It's just a discussion about whether it's likely to be true or not, which would not in any way be disproven by any (or any lack of) resolution.

This seems like some made up some win condition where, if we don't get a prosecution or public admission, it'll be treated as some kind of definitive conclusion. Which is of course nonsense: it's plausible (likely, even) that nothing formal will come of this whether it's true or not, for a bunch of reasons.
Exactly. They may come to some kind of "settlement" where the accused party does not admit to any wrongdoing but the accuser nonetheless accepts the issue as settled. We just won't know until it happens and I personally have no horse in the race, other than my general desire to see people who have done something wrong to get what they deserve.

I can't be bothered to read 5 pages of this so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned but erm, The Holdovers already completely stole the concept of the film from another film. Now it's accused of swiping the script too?

Hmmm, it's a film that's gone down in my estimations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlusse

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026703...m_6_q_merlusse

Merlusse (1935)
Synopsis:
A tough teacher charged with looking after the students left behind at a boarding school during the Christmas holidays rises to the challenge and comes to better understand the boys in his care.

I started to read through this and my head hurt, so I stopped. All I wanted to add is that one of my all-time favorite movies was made from a partially plagiarized script. The director did not know it at the time, but Scorsese's After Hours (1985) was made from a script by Joseph Minion. Turns out he took the concept, some memorable details, and even bits of dialogue from a radio monologue he heard on NPR performed by Joe Frank. The entire twelve-minute radio piece is included in the below article...

https://andrewhearst.com/blog/2008/0...es-after-hours

Plaster of Paris bagel-and-cream-cheese paperweights, Man. Frank was paid an undisclosed amount of money by Warner Brothers.

And none of that detracts at all from my enjoyment of the movie. Of course.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Big difference there in that it sounds like Scorsese really didn't know about it.

Nothing grows in a vacuum of course, but credit should be given where due.

I read the other day that the Kevin Spacey film 'K-Pax' is entirely a rip off of a Spanish film called 'Man facing South East'. No credit, no acknowledgement.No nothing.

K Pax: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272152/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Man Facing SouthEast : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091214/

The creator of the spanish film, which was made 14 years previously, tried to sue the writer of the novel that K-Pax was based on. But as always, those with no money can't do anything about it. He was forced to drop the case, and never received a penny from the novel or K-Pax.

But as always, those with no money can't do anything about it. He was forced to drop the case, and never received a penny from the novel or K-Pax.
I'm curious as to how strong the case was, legally speaking, since people who have a good case but can't pay legal fees upfront usually can find a lawyer who'll take the case for a percentage of the settlement.

I'm curious as to how strong the case was, legally speaking, since people who have a good case but can't pay legal fees upfront usually can find a lawyer who'll take the case for a percentage of the settlement.
I'm not sure that a one size fits all approach works here. Have you heard the song that was apparently ripped off by Led Zeppelin for 'Stairway to Heaven' ? The intro is near identical. It's almost a carbon copy. Given the fact that the bands were around at the time and possibly even shared a billing together, it's totally conceivable that Led Zep stole it.

Yet it was thrown out of court for being unproveable. Absolute madness.

I'm not sure that a one size fits all approach works here. Have you heard the song that was apparently ripped off by Led Zeppelin for 'Stairway to Heaven' ? The intro is near identical. It's almost a carbon copy. Given the fact that the bands were around at the time and possibly even shared a billing together, it's totally conceivable that Led Zep stole it.

Yet it was thrown out of court for being unproveable. Absolute madness.

Yes these things are insanely hard to prove legally. And even in the Zeppelin instance, where the openings of the song are pretty nearly identical, Page was also known as a fan of the particular group he ripped off, not to mention the dreadful history Zeppelin had with ripping off all sorts of other songs without giving credit. It was kinda their thing for a while.

Legally though, still not enough.

A system of cells interlinked
My assumption is that it's just an inherently hard thing to prove, even if you've got money, or good representation, or whatever.
Eventually, you can just claim you won and then write a book about it in an attempt to grift money from the situation. See: Sophia Stewart re: The Matrix.

My assumption is that it's just an inherently hard thing to prove, even if you've got money, or good representation, or whatever.

A month in no lawsuit....also Plagerism Today addressed the issue,

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2024...-a-plagiarism/

The Problems with the Case

While the similarities between the films are obvious, when you look at the specifics of the complaint, the wheels begin to come off.

For much of the document, Stephenson highlights various scenes that he says the two films share that are nearly identical. However, even a cursory examination of those scenes who that not only are they not identical, but they are also not very similar, with very different dialog and other elements.

Instead, what the scenes have in common deals more with the structure of the movie. For example, a boss calling an employee into their office or two characters getting stuck together in a quiet place (library vs. quiet carriage).

It's looking more and more that this was a smear campaign. Disney lied on this films name and once the facts came out it was buried. I'm posting this as Disney just fought off a change in CEO this week which was another campaign from the company.

A I'm posting this as Disney just fought off a change in CEO this week
Absolutely no such thing happened.

Did you even bother reading the story? Because what happened was absolutely not at all what you claimed. Not by a long shot.

It's looking more and more that this was a smear campaign.
Nah, it looks almost exactly as much like this as it did before. The fact that there's no lawsuit is unremarkable, and in fact was predicted by a few people, contra your confusing claim that several people thought otherwise, which still hasn't been explained. I also specifically predicted that the lack of a definitive legal result would be used to claim some faux victory:
This seems like some made up some win condition where, if we don't get a prosecution or public admission, it'll be treated as some kind of definitive conclusion. Which is of course nonsense: it's plausible (likely, even) that nothing formal will come of this whether it's true or not, for a bunch of reasons.

This article says Pelz was trying to get a seat on the board, not replace Iger as CEO.

Be honest: did you read it, or did you just see the title?
Everyone who's been following that situation knows that Iger's current contract runs through 2026.

So if anyone claims that "Disney fought off a change in CEO" or anything even remotely like that, it just shows they have absolutely no idea what's going on. All that happened this week was a vote for the company's board of directors.

And that, by the way, has absolutely nothing at all to do with the allegation levied at "The Holdovers".