The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

When I saw the title Night of the Hunter along with Mitchum’s picture I immediately mistook it for Cape Fear (1962), another one of his early forays as a villain.

“Hunter” is an unusual film—an artistic as well as a frightful film, unusual for its era. I’m sure director Charles Laughton heavily influenced the settings and photography. It was also unusual to have a villain threaten a child. Otherwise it’s a fairly simple story, with Mitchum’s portrayal one of his best and most unsettling, a performance he would more than equal in Cape Fear.

North by Northwest is one of my all time favorite Hitchcock’s, one that I never tire of re-watching. It could have easily been in my top 25 but I already had two Hitchcock’s, so NBN got a pass.

The powerful film score by Bernard Herrmann by itself is worth the price of admission. Never has a film been more captured by a film score than was this one. From the galvanizing opening credits and scene right up to the end, Herrmann glues us right to the narrative.

The story was complex enough to keep one guessing, and the acting was first rate. The obvious chemistry between Eve Marie Saint and Cary Grant was clever and very racy for its day. James Mason was at his most suave and intimidating, as was his henchman Martin Landau (in a role that really put him on the map). Jessie Royce Landis, as Grant’s mother, although only 8 years older in real life, was perfect comedic relief. She put me in mind a little of Robert Walker’s mother, Marion Lorne, in Strangers on a Train, only not as wacky. Robert Burks’ wide screen photography, especially in the dusty country scenes was remarkable, as good as anything from John Ford.

Two very different films done 4 years apart—both memorable.

And if you say M*A*S*H, tell me if I should watch the show also, and which should I watch first
Definitely watch both, although I prefer the show personally. But they're completely different animals. As different as two things based on the same material/characters etc could get, really. I'd watch the movie first but then don't go into the show expecting anything similar beyond the superficial.

Tomorrow's hint:

In our next two films, a stiff breeze blows.
But in different ways, for each of those.

In the first he comes, and will return.
While the second goes, and passions churn.

At different ends, they get down low.
Both looking forward, to tomorrow.
Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I liked Tanner '88, but I do fear that it's of its time. Michael Murphy and Pamela Reed were fine. The use of various cameos never felt over the top.
I just saw Tanner '88 last year, and thought it was great; for all times.

I liked the cameos very much. It was cool to see, it also gave the entire project more legitimacy.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Since he was brought up, I've only seen 3 Robert Altman films (Gosford Park, The Player, and The Gingerbread Man). I really enjoyed the first two, even if they didn't make it to my list. I should really rewatch The Player also. It's been a long, long time. As for Gingerbread Man, that was obviously a studio work and, although it's been a while, I seem to recall it being a serviceable 90's thriller, whatever that means.

What should I prioritize? And if you say M*A*S*H, tell me if I should watch the show also, and which should I watch first

Watch "Nashville" and "McCabe and Mrs. Miller"... Even if you like them, I'd recommend a second viewing, since there's a lot going on.

I wasn't a big fan of M*A*S*H, but I've seen about 20 Altman movies. He has quite a few duds, but I'd recommend "Secret Honor" which might make my Top 5 of his movies, but I really love it because there's only ONE character -- Richard Nixon.

His interviews are great, too.. And the documentaries on him.

Tree of Life - I seem unable to shake the love I have for early Malick for any of his later films I've seen. Thin Red Line did little for me, and while I preferred Tree of Life to it, it left a whisper of an impression. He's a rare director who I seemed to have preferred being a little more straightforward. Badlands is a favorite of all time and Days of Heaven isn't far behind. The more indulgent Malick became though, the less I found to resonate in his work. I'm sure I'm just dumb

City of God - Violence and poetry. Always a good combo. City of God is great. But when it comes to troubled South American kid films, Pixote steals a lot of its thunder. It's not nearly as slick, yet exists in the same sort of universe. It's sadness gets under your fingernails, unlike the sadness of City of God which just kinda scuffed up my hands.

There Will Be Blood - might be my favorite PTA. The opening sequence alone would be enough for me to consider it a favorite. Paul Dano is the worst, as usual, though.

Rocky - Already somewhat commented on this above. Was in my top 10 I believe. Those who are disappointed in its placement on a list of greatest of all time, disappoint me equally. With five stellar performances, it is one of the great character studies of the 70's. It is graceful without ever being slick. It is a momentous film, paving the way for a ridiculously dumb yet entertaining series of films which, as a package, can be used to map how American films lost there way over the ensuing decade. And Stallone's performance has all the magnetism and invention of prime Brando. Yes, I said it.

Night of the Hunter - Is it a nightmare or a fairy tale? It's both of course, you dummy. Exists as a foreboding warning for all first time directors, don't ever dare to be toooo good.

North by Northwest - In the grand scheme of things, a fairly insignificant Hitchcock. But who cares. Great fun. One of Grant's best performances. The template for all great paranoid thrillers to come. Probably as good a intro to Hitchcock for those who are not convinced that older films have just a lively a pulse as anything made in recent years. Because of course they do.

Tomorrow's hint:

Gone with the wind and It's a Wonderful Life, not sure on what other movies to think of

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Tomorrow's hint:

Damn it and I love Jumanji.

A lot of people are sure it's Gone With the Wind and the other varies. It feels too obvious, but I'm not so sure it has as strong a chance of getting in as The Wizard of Oz does considering that more modern reviews all the film out for the slavery subplot.

That other one's a huge challenge. "Will return" either screams Empire Strikes Back or James bond to me...

The trick is not minding
Since he was brought up, I've only seen 3 Robert Altman films (Gosford Park, The Player, and The Gingerbread Man). I really enjoyed the first two, even if they didn't make it to my list. I should really rewatch The Player also. It's been a long, long time. As for Gingerbread Man, that was obviously a studio work and, although it's been a while, I seem to recall it being a serviceable 90's thriller, whatever that means.

What should I prioritize? And if you say M*A*S*H, tell me if I should watch the show also, and which should I watch first
MCCabe and Mrs Miller
Streamers

I’ve also seen Popeye, Brewster McCloud, and Images side from the ones you mentioned.
Worth seeing if only for how interesting they are

62. The Tree of Life-
-
61. City of God -

60. There will be blood--
+
59.Rocky-

58. The Night of the Hunter-

57. North by northwest-

Some suprising entries this high up for me. Definitely wouldn't have expected tree of life to make it. All films inconic in their own way, North by Northwest is pure Americana, and while it's far from my favorite Hitchcock film it's arguably his most entertaining. Very due for another viewing of There Will be Blood

The Long Goodbye is truly a masterpiece, otherwise I find him a very average director. Three Women probably my next favorite but I don't find it anything that special

Night of the Hunter being on this list makes me very, very happy.

EDIT: I think it was on my list. Either way, I'm glad that either 5 or 6 other posters share my love for it.

Tomorrow's hint:

Second one is definitely Gone With The Wind as it fits with all the second lines.

The other film, not too sure... maybe The Third Man. The last verse could refer to the sewers. Probably wrong again

Thanks to all for the recs on Altman. I'll see when I can check one out...... along with the dozens other recs!

I thought North by Northwest was fine. Not quite my favorite Hitchcock, but a perfectly reasonable choice for the list.

On the other hand, Night of the Hunter? It was my #13!

Much like TWBB, Hunter succeeds in part due to a memorable performance by Robert Mitchum as an ex-con with a desire to get his loot. Unfortunately for him, his partner has hidden the loot. So he decides to keep a close eye on his kids who might be able to slip up and reveal where it is. This draws him to Shelley Winters who is desperately looking to find someone who'll keep her from becoming an old maid.

What happens next is an impressive display of good fighting against evil while we also meet Rachel (Lillian Gish) and hear The Everlasting Arms. Memorable and dark, but with a little hope throughout as well. Film also proves that Charles Laughton was skilled as a director and should have done more movies.

My List:

6. Metropolis
9. There Will Be Blood
10. City of God
13. Night of the Hunter

Tomorrow's hint:

The Second One is Gone with the Wind
The first might be Something Wicked This Way Comes.