Movies about the movies

Tools    

There's many of these and since there's so many as its a popular theme among movie-makers I would like to leave out the bad ones.

Here's the best movies I've seen where the main focus of the story is about making movies or the life of an actor:

The Stunt Man (1980) Peter O'Toole

Realite (2014) Alain Chabat Dir. Quentin Dupieux

The Artist (2011) Dir. Michel Hazanavicius

Le Mepris (1963) Dir. Jean Luc-Goddard

Nobody Knows Anything (2003) Dir. William Tannen

Sunset Blvd. (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson

Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (2001) Paul Hogan

Hail, Caesar (2016) Josh Brolin, George Clooney

Targets (1968) Boris Karloff

Irma Vep (1997)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116650/
French film about a French film-maker that hires a Chinese lead actress for a remake of Les Vampirs (1915)
I don't know, looks like it might be good. Found it in the ratings thread from 2017.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Living in Oblivion

Synecdoche, New York

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Last Action Hero?

The Player
The purple Rose of Cairo
Cinema Paradiso
Good call ! I liked them all, but I think The Player especially really gives insight into Hollywood studio machinations.

Anyone ever seen John Schlesinger's The Day of the Locust from 1975, based on the novel by Nathanael West? It's one of my favorite movies of all time. It stars Donald Sutherland, Karen Black, Burgess Meredith and William Atherton. And trust me, it's got one of the most mind-blowingly apocalyptic climaxes to any film you've ever seen! I'm a hardened horror-movie fan, and believe me when I say that my jaw was on the freaking floor the first time I saw this movie! Chuck D. and Public Enemy may have said "Burn Hollywood Burn" in 1990, but Nathanael West envisioned it when he wrote the novel in 1939!

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Some good recommendations mentioned. Mulholland Drive was the one that immediately came to my mind.

David Mamet's all-star State and Main is another good one. More recently, you've got The Comeback Trail with the great Robert De Niro and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood from Quentin Tarantino (which was my favourite film of 2019). One from the 1980s - Who Framed Roger Rabbit from Back to the Future director Robert Zemeckis.

How about 1993's Dangerous Game from director Abel Ferrara. It's included in this list of other movies about making movies. There's a few other suggestions on there too.