MoFo Fantasy Football 2023 - The Season

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Yeah, seriously. Many QB’s struggled (Burrows, Jackson, Smith and Fields) while others under performed while their teams still won (Hurts, Prescot).

Ah well. It’s only the first week, and a loss (unless Diggs goes crazy) won’t set me back this early.I started 0-2 last year with horrible scoring, and I like this team far more so I’m sure things shall be fine.

Didn’t expect Dallas D to go insane this week tho. 😒

A system of cells interlinked
I was quite worried when two of my guys dialed up goose eggs. Without Dallas D going crazy, I would most certainly be losing. Could still happen with Diggs still to play, but odds are long there. Will adjust my lineup next week, and hopefully Hurts remembers Goedert is on his team...

I play in a league with my two boys and they were matched up yesterday. Trash talking was on all day yesterday and they went into last night with my oldest on top comfortably. He had Giants K left and my youngest had Dallas D. You know where this is going. Needless to say the trash talk hasn’t stopped yet but the tables have turned. Pretty fun week 1 at my house despite the fact unless Josh goes back ff I probably will be 0-1 in both leagues.

The trick is not minding
Starting to think Holden is just cursed. Thankfully he has his game wrapped up against Yoda, but Rodgers getting hurt on his…..second play I think?….is just brutal!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

X Rays on his ankle came back negative, whew.

Wow, the highest scoring team in our league this week put up 2 donuts.

I can't believe I may have lost my QB on his fourth snap of the season. The rest of my Week One wasn't pretty either - it was partially Purty, or at least Purty adjacent - but a win is a win, I guess? Despite thuds in four of my seven main spots, it was all just barely enough to start 2023 in the win column.

I sat two of my four top draft picks, and probably should have sat a third. Baltimore's Mark Andrews was a not terribly surprising gametime scratch which left me screwed at TE. My backup option is Buc Cade Otten, who caught only two short passes for 2.90 points. Jet superstar-to-be Breece Hall was looking like he was probably going to play Monday night, but during the week I feared he may be on a pitch count...so I got clever. With Jonathan Taylor definitely out and Zack Moss likely out too, young Deon Jackson was the Colts' defacto lead RB. He was projected at over ten points so I scooped him up and started him in favor of Breece! The Indianapolis back rushed for 14 yards, caught FIVE passes but for only another 14 yards, he did not score, oh, yeah, and he lost two fumbles. 1.30 fantasy points. What a genius I am. Of course Breece did wind up playing, and even with the shocking early loss of Rodgers and splitting carries with veteran Dalvin Cook he racked up 147 total yards including an explosive 83-yard dash! Those 15.20 points were slightly better than Deon Jackson and his fumbleitis (coming soon to a waiver wire near you).

The other splat was Terry McLaurin. He is the one I should have sat on Sunday. On the injury report for the last two weeks with turf toe, he played, but I knew he wasn't at 100%. He had just a pair of catches for 31 yards (4.10 points), definitely not his fully fleet-footed self.

Those three low scores alone would have sunk me, most weeks, even before taking a zero from my QB. My other Commander, second-year back Brian Robinson, had a decent day with 59 yards on the ground and one catch, which was a 7-yard TD (13.10 points). Much better was my number one pick, the first player taken in the draft. The mighty Justin Jefferson proved his worth by scoring 19.50 points in an embarrassing Vikings loss where he did not score. He still managed nine receptions on twelve targets for 150 yards! When he starts adding TDs in there...woah. If nineteen points are his floor I can hardly wait to see his ceilings!

But my week was truly saved by my FLEX spot and my DEF. The Green Bay Packers didn't have much trouble with Justin Fields, and a late pick-six gave me 15.00 points from their defense. But my true MVP of the week is San Fran's Brandon Aiyuk. He went off in Pittsburgh catching all eight of his targets (129 yards) with two of them in the end zone (28.90 points).

I did believe going in that I had depth at wide receiver, and that turned out to be true. Through one week, anyway. On my bench was the Colt I should have played, Michael Pittman, who had eight catches for 97 yards and a TD (19.70 points) and New Orleans Saint Rashid Shaheed who had 100 combined yards and a TD, though he did lose a fumble (16.50 points).

Mathematically I had already won before the Aaron Rodgers disaster on Monday Night Football, thank goodness. I did not need a single point from him and turns out a single point was unachievable this night. It certainly helped that Yoda's stars faltered even worse than mine, en masse, but I will take it. Who in the fart knows what will become of Rodgers this season, if he is out for a couple weeks or two months or the whole fu*kin' thing (looking like the whole thing)? But if and when Mark Andrews, Breece Hall, and Terry McLaurin are all healthy and in my lineup I could potentially still be OK. Or OK-ish?

Oy.

The trick is not minding
Scored over 100 points despite my QB putting up his worst production in his young career. I’ll take the loss, seeing as it took an unlikely 37 point performance from the Dallas D to beat me.

Burrow won’t put up 3 point games often, and defenses won’t put up 30+ point performances against me every week.

They’re a lot to like about my team. I can rebound from this. Easily. 8-6 is usually enough to get me into the playoffs, and that’s what I’m aiming for at the least.

Next week, I get Holden, who I edged out for 3rd place last year. I’m 2-3 against him, so I’d like to even our series up.

Good luck Holden!

Looks like several guys on my bench had good games and my regulars... did not. Thats fun!

I was all in on Rodgers, too. I took him as my primary QB in both of my leagues. I got lucky in my other league that the round after I took him Tua Tagovailoa was still sitting there available, so I have him. Even started him over Rodgers this week, mainly based on strength of opponent.

Ugh.

Rodgers might have done you a favor to keep you from choosing every week. Miami offense looked primed.

Worst case scenario as a fan and fantasy player for me week1. No worries yet, Allen will get his.

I had my phone in my pocket while mowing the lawn, awaiting a call from my wife. Apparently I had the app open and did just the right motions to unintentionally select, confirm, and drop McLaurin. WTF.

If anybody is interested I created a guillotine league using the same settings as the one I'm already in. I wanted to see how everything worked before committing to trying one.

I think starting week 3 makes the most sense. If we get 14 teams the championship would be week 16. How it works is lowest team score of the week is eliminated and all their players got to waivers. Draft would probably be next week in the evening, 7-9 ish CST. The only change I made was passing td's are 6 points, not 4.

If anybody is interested I created a guillotine league using the same settings as the one I'm already in. I wanted to see how everything worked before committing to trying one.

I think starting week 3 makes the most sense. If we get 14 teams the championship would be week 16. How it works is lowest team score of the week is eliminated and all their players got to waivers. Draft would probably be next week in the evening, 7-9 ish CST. The only change I made was passing td's are 6 points, not 4.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo...7c5d0a41dc8919
Im in! Thank you Freddie! You should make a thread for this league.