Kurt Cobain
Jimi Hendrix
Jhon Lennon
Eric Clapton
Sid Vicious

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Agent 0 Zero
Sid Vicious
You have to be kidding, First off he's a bassist, Secondly Hes the worst bassist EVER. Even in terms of Punk Hes terrible.

My List

5. Joe Strummer

4. Tom Morrello

3. Brian Setzer

2. George Harrison

1. Jimmy Page
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Jimi Hendrix

Keith Richards was a good guitarist before he died... oh wait... Hahaha, A Keith Richards joke.

Johnny Winter
Do you doubt me? Try these: Rock Me Baby, Still Alive And Well

Dick Dale
Do you doubt me? Try this: Fever

My favorite Guitarist would have to be:

Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhoads(Ozzy Osbourne)
Mick Thomson(Slipknot)
Jim Root(Slipknot)
Zakk Wylde(Black Label Society)
Jimmy Page(Led Zeplin)
Dimebag Darrell(Pantera/Damageplan)
Stephen Carpenter(Deftones)
Daron Miller(CKY/Foreign Objects)
Noodle(Gorillaz)
Dave Grohl(Nirvana/Foo Fighters/Queens of the Stone Age/Probot)

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
Steve Vai
Tony Iommi
Randy Rhoads
Dimebag Darrell
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Eddie Van Halen
Slash
Zakk Wylde

These are my favorites, since there is no "Best" guitarist for say. I know I forgot some but my memory's blocked at the moment.

Dave Grohl(Nirvana
Dave Grohl played drums in Nirvana

Some people mentioned Chuck Berry as one of the best guitarists. He had great music, but his playing was very simple...power cords. Anyone can play a power cord and sound like Chuck Berry.

My picks...
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
BB King
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones
Kirk Hammett of Metallica
Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave
Bo Diddley
Lou Reed
Angus Young of AC/DC

Ex-Con. Ex-Cop. Explosive
I cannot believe some of the names on this list. Many of you have no clue what a good guitarist is.
There are a lot of 'good' guitarists. No question. You have to be good to be a mainstream rock artist. But there are definitely great guitarists, and you have all forgotten the best.

Duane Allman.

Not to be outdone by these other truly great not just good musicians, most of whom were mentioned.

Jimi
Django
Jimmy P.
Mark Knoffler

The rest, are just that... the rest. These 5 are the greatest.

Amen.

Ex-Con. Ex-Cop. Explosive
Kobain and Lennon? Please!!!!

Randomly visiting for now
Jimi Hendrix was truly a great performer and amazing guitarist; there's nobody else I'd consider as best of all time. The impact he made on the music scene during his prime was unbelievable.

Joe Satriaini
Steve Via
Paul Gilbert

Someone Save Us College Kids
Originally Posted by Cabbage Head
Kobain and Lennon? Please!!!!
C-O-B-A-I-N and actually Kurt was more of a better lyricist and singers of his time, but his career as a guitarist is not what he praised for the most.

Jimmy Page
Hendrix

Well, if playing powerchords in every minute of each of their songs means your a good guitarist, then Kurt would be that, but an actual good guitarist, is reserved for other people

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Frank Castle
C-O-B-A-I-N and actually Kurt was more of a better lyricist and singers of his time, but his career as a guitarist is not what he praised for the most.

Jimmy Page
Hendrix

I felt Kurt was a sub-standard singer, but an extremely gifted songwriter. Many of the greatest songwriters in rock were sort of shoddy performers, and many didn't like having to be in the public eye, Cobain included (according to Rolling Stone anyway). Other examples would be Bob Dylan and Billy Corgan (hey, the guy can write a song).

As for greatest gutarist, I am finding it pretty much impossible to choose one person. I will list some guitarists whose music moves me, but I don't know if they are great, I just love the way they play.

Dave Gilmore (he was closest to being chosen)

Jimmy Page - I have a complaint. On my original cassette copy of physical graffiti, IMO the pinnacle album of Zepp's career, and maybe in the history of blues/rock, Kashmir was at the end of the album, followed immediately by Bron Yr Aur, an amazing drop C acoustic piece that is just magic. This was one of my favorite pieces of music for a very long time, both tracks, one after the other. I go to buy the cd, and they have changed the track order. It's a travesty I tell you.

Jimi Hendrix - The man.

A thought has crossed my mind. By asking the question "who is the best guitarist?", how are we supposed to choose someone, by their technical ability when playing? by their knowledge of their intrument?

I now own all but 4 Pink Floyd albums, and I'm putting David Gilmour in my top 5 list now.
And found he was eating his shoe.