Song Tournament (October 2023)

Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Yeah, with 12 nominated songs already, it can be moved forward.

Never participated in one of these before, but I do love music. So, I can pull any song out of my butt that I think the majority would like, am I correct?
Correct, but please rinse the songs thoroughly. I'd rather not get fecal matter on my earbuds. Also: don't worry too much about pleasing the majority.

If we are keeping with the customs of the previous administration, the following songs aren't eligible for nomination since they won a round in a previous tournament. Up to Cap to decide if he wants to make it only monthly winners or individual round winners being ineligible though.
I'm only making two changes from Chyp's "administration." The first is that everyone must automatically rank my nominations first or else be disqualified. The second is that only songs that won previous tournaments are ineligible, rather than every song that ever won a round. That list you posted is already so long and unwieldy, and it features such an eclectic group of songs that I doubt we have to worry much about repeats.

I thought she had left us for good, but I see she just posted a few days ago. So get your butt in here, @cat_sidhe, and rock out with us!

Ok, I'll see if I can jump in with some scary tunes.
For the record, this isn't a themed song tournament, but if people want to nominate "spooky" songs then that'd be cool. I've got a few songs in mind that fit the Halloween theme, but I'll probably save them for closer to the holiday. The presentation will certainly be Halloween-themed, however; and maybe the ultimate winner will receive a big bowl of candy or something.

When is this starting?
Oct. 1, probably around midnight eastern standard time. We've already got a healthy turnout (better than I expected, tbh), but I'll stick to my planned start time just in case one or two more want to join.

For the record, this isn't a themed song tournament, but if people want to nominate "spooky" songs then that'd be cool. I've got a few songs in mind that fit the Halloween theme, but I'll probably save them for closer to the holiday. The presentation will certainly be Halloween-themed, however; and maybe the ultimate winner will receive a big bowl of candy or something.
Oh, I know. I just thought it would be nice if I try to do spooky songs.

1. Yuridia, Angela Aguilar - Qué Agonía
2. Caroline Polachek - Welcome to My Island
3. Garbage - Vow
4. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
5. Hana Vu - Keeper
6. Mark Lanegan - Dead on You
7. Evergrey - King of Errors
8. Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes
9. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue
10. HMLTD - Satan, Luella and I
11. Nation of Language - Sole Obsession
12. The Record Company - Off the Ground
13. Odylife - Damas Swing Orchestra
14. Beastie Boys - Sabotage

Round 1

1. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue
2. Caroline Polachek - Welcome to My Island
3. Hana Vu - Keeper
4. Odylife - Damas Swing Orchestra
5. Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes
6. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
7. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
8. Nation of Language - Sole Obsession
9. HMLTD - Satan, Luella and I
10. The Record Company - Off the Ground
11. Yuridia, Angela Aguilar - Qué Agonía
12. Garbage - Vow
13. Mark Lanegan - Dead on You
14. Evergrey - King of Errors

Beastie Boys - Sabotage - It's one of the best songs of the '90s. Another I've nominated before.

Garbage - Vow - I must have listened to this song once or twice a day for the last couple of weeks. I've just completely re-fallen in love with it.

Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground - I love this song and I've nominated it myself before. Great song from a great album.

Hana Vu - Keeper - I like it. Just a very nice, pleasant song. Feels a bit like a good Eurovision song, though I'm sure that would be an insult to anyone else who likes it and probably the group themselves.

Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes - Joe Cocker is all right, but I have the same problem with this song I have with any Joe Cocker song that I hear; just sing 'With a Little Help from My Friends' or Up Where We Belong.' This is in no way bad, it's just not either of those two songs.

The Record Company - Off the Ground - Hello Baseline! It's all right, but it's the bass and slide guitar that will probably put this top third, almost certainly top half.

Nation of Language - Sole Obsession It was very much like an approximation of an 80s song, but not in a way that rings true and that makes me dislike it a little bit more than otherwise might.

Odylife - Damas Swing Orchestra - This is okay, it's kind of cool, kind of laid back but I'm not really feeling it at the moment.

Yuridia, Angela Aguilar - Qué Agonía - Ooh it's like being on holiday in Spain in the 80s.

HMLTD - Satan, Luella and I - No real idea what I think of this. It's somehow repetitive yet different. I think this would take a few more lessons before I could really tell whether I liked it or not and, even then, that might not be enough.

Caroline Polachek - Welcome to My Island - The opening needs to go! Yeah, I'm just not feeling this song at all. It feels to summery, but in a 'beach cool' way rather than a nice sunny day way. Very apt for the song, just not a feel I like.

Mark Lanegan - Dead on You - Oh God it's Country. Thank you for making it short.

Evergrey - King of Errors - Firstly it takes far too long to get going. Why is it the only Iron Maiden can actually do this kind of stuff well? Too long, too dull, just went on.

Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue - Oh God, it's Dylan. With the exception of the phrasing of "Tangled Up in blue" (which also annoys me by the end) I really don't like this song that much. That said, it's better than a lot of this stuff.

A system of cells interlinked
  1. Evergrey - King of Errors
  2. Garbage - Vow
  3. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
  4. Nation of Language - Sole Obsession
  5. Caroline Polachek - Welcome to My Island
  6. The Record Company - Off the Ground
  7. Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes
  8. Hana Vu - Keeper
  9. HMLTD - Satan, Luella and I
  10. Yuridia, Angela Aguilar - Qué Agonía
  11. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
  12. Odylife - Damas Swing Orchestra
  13. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue
  14. Mark Lanegan - Dead on You

Hitting the ground running, just like we never missed a beat. Just to take stock:

I still can't stand Bob Dylan
Everyone else still hates Swedish metal

On to round 2!

Round 2 NOM

Church of the Cosmic Skull - Sorcery & Sabotage

1. Bestie Boys - Sabatage
2. Sneaker Pumps - 6 Underground
3. HMLTD - Satan, Luella and and I
4. The Record Company - Off the Ground
5. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue
6 Dallas Swing Orchestra - Odylife
7.Mark Lanegan - Dead on You
8. Yuridia, Angela Anguilar - Que Agonia
9. Garbage - Vow
10. Hana Vu - Keeper
11.Nation of Language - Sole Obsession
12. Caroline Polachek - Welcome to my Island
13. Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes
14. Evergrey - King of Errors

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
1. Garbage - Vow
2. HMLTD - Satan, Luella and I
3. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
4. Nation of Language - Sole Obsession
5. Evergrey - King of Errors
6. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
7. Mark Lanegan - Dead on You
8. Caroline Polachek - Welcome to my Island
9. Joe Cocker - When the Night Comes
10. Hannah Vu - Keeper
11. Yuridia, Angela Angular - Que Agonia
12. Bob Dylan - Tangled up in Blue