The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ah. Haven't seen The Pianist and really didn't know anything about it other than that it stars Adrien Brody, who I generally dislike and tend to avoid.

Shoah

Schindler's List is a strong film, a worthy attempt to deal with such an immense and grave subject. Easily Spielberg's most adult and successfully complex film, if some way short of his best.

I need to watch that one.

Schindler's List is a strong film, a worthy attempt to deal with such an immense and grave subject. Easily Spielberg's most adult and successfully complex film, if some way short of his best.
What's your favorite Spielberg film?

Schindler's List is a great movie, I think it was somewhere in the middle of my list. I'm surprised it's not higher.

I was thinking the same thing.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ah. Haven't seen The Pianist and really didn't know anything about it other than that it stars Adrien Brody, who I generally dislike and tend to avoid.
He's really good in it, as is the movie. I recommend it if you're feeling like an emotional film some day.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

What's your favorite Spielberg film?
Hoo... oh Harry Lime already said that. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull then.

Actually my favourite would be either Jaws or ET. I love Duel too, but that is not really among his very best.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Well if you are going to watch Shoah, set aside 10 hours and prepare to be emotionally drained. Plan something positive to do the next day. It's heavy.

Schindler's List -

Very good movie! It's not my favourite film about the Holocaust (I like some of the documentary films more), but it's my favourite dramatization of the Holocaust.

Well if you are going to watch Shoah, set aside 10 hours and prepare to be emotionally drained. Plan something positive to do the next day. It's heavy.
Don't worry, I have watched some very heavy stuff already so I have developed a resistance to tearjerkers. Its probable that I will think that Shoah is rather melodramatic or maybe it may crack my top 20.

Don't worry, I have watched some very heavy stuff already so I have developed a resistance to tearjerkers. Its probable that I will think that Shoah is rather melodramatic or maybe it may crack my top 20.
If i remember correctly, you said the saddest film you have seen is Grave of The Fireflies? Do you honestly think that and 19 other films will be sadder than the most graphic (from what i've heard) account of the Holocaust?

Tis a shame. Fargo should have been in the top ten. The Pianist is indeed a better film than Schindler's List but that is in another decade.

It's sad to see The Matrix so high and Dark City significantly lower. I believe DC to be the better film of the two, but since one is "flashier" than the other it gets more recognition.