Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Barefoot in the Park (1967) - 3/10

You can tell this was made first for the theater, and first by writing, as there are some nice writing exchanges, but it doesn't translate. I thought Jane Fonda was pretty awful, Redford was decent, his subdued acting was needed for Jane's hysteria, overreacting, ruckus over nothing. There was a lot of repeating... The "going up to the stairs" fiasco took half of the movie. It tries to play real, when almost every second is fiction.

And then to top it off, I hear a voice not familiar, as it was disguised with an accent, but I could tell just by the rhythm it had to be Charles Boyer. His face was disguised, and I look at the DVD cover, it was him... I didn't like him in Gaslight, Algiers, and this film. Different roles, but he's always annoying, with his little soliloquies.

I saw this film many years ago, and just wanted to test it on me as a 32-year old.

Barefoot in the Park (1967) - 3/10

You can tell this was made first for the theater, and first by writing, as there are some nice writing exchanges, but it doesn't translate. I thought Jane Fonda was pretty awful, Redford was decent, his subdued acting was needed for Jane's hysteria, overreacting, ruckus over nothing. There was a lot of repeating... The "going up to the stairs" fiasco took half of the movie. It tries to play real, when almost every second is fiction.

And then to top it off, I hear a voice not familiar, as it was disguised with an accent, but I could tell just by the rhythm it had to be Charles Boyer. His face was disguised, and I look at the DVD cover, it was him... I didn't like him in Gaslight, Algiers, and this film. Different roles, but he's always annoying, with his little soliloquies.

I saw this film many years ago, and just wanted to test it on me as a 32-year old.

Sad to see this rating. Barefoot in the Park is one of my favorite movies.

After a long break I'm finally back with a new full-length movie review in my Cinema Review thread. One that has been long overdue...

- CLICK HERE TO READ MY REVIEW OF WHIPLASH -

...and if you missed my last big diary update, which I just edited with detailed reviews, you can view that HERE.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

While I can watch a musical and enjoy it, I prefer ones where the actors/singers don't just break out into a song for no reason. I like to have a little story with drama/comedy to go along with the songs. And that is why I liked the GDo1933 quite a bit. It stars Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, Warren William, Guy Kibbee, and a very young Ginger Rogers. The usual forbidden love, let's put on a show (Broadway this time), mistaken identity, and everything wrapped up in a bow by the end, all augmented by great Busby Berkeley musical/dance set pieces.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - Robert Rodriguez

- Awesome movie never seen it before and I really appreciate it. Whole fun and nice acting by Clooney and Tarantino. Love It.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Hugely entertaining. The best James Bond/spy pastiche since Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

It deftly takes influence from Moore era Bond to Harry Palmer, The Avengers, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Bulldog Drummond, and Our Man Flint; even Matt Helm. The amped up violence does make it a little uneven at times, but it's very funny and there are at least three excellent white knuckle sequences... plus an underground lair. You can't go wrong with an underground lair. The cast are all great too. See it.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Before Sunrise, 1995
Dir: Richard Linklater

Like many other romance films, this one is mainly conversation-driven. But unlike many other romance films, this one does not force the tenderness nor the sentimentality through standard, cheesy, lovesick phrases. Instead, it lets the romantic quality naturally flow and take its own path, mirroring the insecurities and imperfections of real life, so the tenderness and the sentimentality become a hundred times more touching.

Despite the constant talking and lack of large, emphasized actions it is far from a dull movie and it definitely does not lack profound, silent moments (the scene pictured in the gif above, in which Celine [Julie Delpy] and Jesse [Ethan Hawke] awkwardly try to look at each other without letting the other catch the glance is one of the most memorable scenes. It is simple but so effective, so moving, and it says the most, even if almost no words are delivered by the characters. Its effectiveness is not only due to the qualities of the specific scene itself, but also because of the contrast between it and the rest of the dialogue-filled film).

The topics discussed between the two characters start as silly and mostly innocent observations or remarks, yet as the conversations keep unfolding and unfolding they end in deeply philosophical and beautifully poetic exchanges. Yet they do not take themselves seriously, the film itself does not seem to take itself seriously, because just like life, it cannot be tightly controlled, it simply continues in an uncertain yet natural progression. And henceforth, despite its intelligence, this movie still manages to capture the awkwardness and ambiguity of the very flawed real life, making it splendidly tender and genuinely endearing.

8/10

WARNING: "Millennium Actress (THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST QUOTES OF ALL TIME!" spoilers below
After all, it's the chasing after him I really love.

Millennium Actress is a definition of a masterpiece!

ALL THE WAY!

One of the greatest passions I have ever seen, if not it's the pinnacle love story. Beautiful Beautiful!

Thanks Cobpyth for your review which made me want to watch it.

Kuroneko (1968) - Kaneto Shindo

Wanted to see an old Japanese Horror for sometimes, this one wasn't very good though, except a few unusual shots and settings nothing much good to write about...

5 out of 10

Hour of the Wolf (1968)

With creepy acting, camera work, and music, I thought this was excellent as a horror movie.

Yes, fantastic film, I also saw this recently...it is excellent even if one (like me) doesn't consider it a horror...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Before Sunrise, 1995
Dir: Richard Linklater

Like many other romance films, this one is mainly conversation-driven. But unlike many other romance films, this one does not force the tenderness nor the sentimentality through standard, cheesy, lovesick phrases. Instead, it lets the romantic quality naturally flow and take its own path, mirroring the insecurities and imperfections of real life, so the tenderness and the sentimentality become a hundred times more touching.

Despite the constant talking and lack of large, emphasized actions it is far from a dull movie and it definitely does not lack profound, silent moments (the scene pictured in the gif above, in which Celine [Julie Delpy] and Jesse [Ethan Hawke] awkwardly try to look at each other without letting the other catch the glance is one of the most memorable scenes. It is simple but so effective, so moving, and it says the most, even if almost no words are delivered by the characters. Its effectiveness is not only due to the qualities of the specific scene itself, but also because of the contrast between it and the rest of the dialogue-filled film).

The topics discussed between the two characters start as silly and mostly innocent observations or remarks, yet as the conversations keep unfolding and unfolding they end in deeply philosophical and beautifully poetic exchanges. Yet they do not take themselves seriously, the film itself does not seem to take itself seriously, because just like life, it cannot be tightly controlled, it simply continues in an uncertain yet natural progression. And henceforth, despite its intelligence, this movie still manages to capture the awkwardness and ambiguity of the very flawed real life, making it splendidly tender and genuinely endearing.

8/10
Great review! A Top 5 film of the 90's.

It's real, because I've had the same exact situations meeting some girl on a train in Europe (minus the love part).. The script was great and interesting. This film didn't cost hardly any money in comparison, it's just really good. I don't think this was even nominated for an Oscar