Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It deftly takes influence from Moore era Bond to Harry Palmer, The Avengers, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Bulldog Drummond, and Our Man Flint; even Matt Helm. The amped up violence does make it a little uneven at times, but it's very funny and there are at least three excellent white knuckle sequences... plus an underground lair. You can't go wrong with an underground lair. The cast are all great too. See it.

I saw the trailer and liked the first half of it, but then thought it looked a little 'off'. In other words, I liked the silly stuff.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Before Sunrise, 1995
Dir: Richard Linklater

Like many other romance films, this one is mainly conversation-driven. But unlike many other romance films, this one does not force the tenderness nor the sentimentality through standard, cheesy, lovesick phrases. Instead, it lets the romantic quality naturally flow and take its own path, mirroring the insecurities and imperfections of real life, so the tenderness and the sentimentality become a hundred times more touching.

Despite the constant talking and lack of large, emphasized actions it is far from a dull movie and it definitely does not lack profound, silent moments (the scene pictured in the gif above, in which Celine [Julie Delpy] and Jesse [Ethan Hawke] awkwardly try to look at each other without letting the other catch the glance is one of the most memorable scenes. It is simple but so effective, so moving, and it says the most, even if almost no words are delivered by the characters. Its effectiveness is not only due to the qualities of the specific scene itself, but also because of the contrast between it and the rest of the dialogue-filled film).

The topics discussed between the two characters start as silly and mostly innocent observations or remarks, yet as the conversations keep unfolding and unfolding they end in deeply philosophical and beautifully poetic exchanges. Yet they do not take themselves seriously, the film itself does not seem to take itself seriously, because just like life, it cannot be tightly controlled, it simply continues in an uncertain yet natural progression. And henceforth, despite its intelligence, this movie still manages to capture the awkwardness and ambiguity of the very flawed real life, making it splendidly tender and genuinely endearing.

8/10

WARNING: "Millennium Actress (THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST QUOTES OF ALL TIME!" spoilers below
After all, it's the chasing after him I really love.

Millennium Actress is a definition of a masterpiece!

ALL THE WAY!

One of the greatest passions I have ever seen, if not it's the pinnacle love story. Beautiful Beautiful!

Thanks Cobpyth for your review which made me want to watch it.

Kuroneko (1968) - Kaneto Shindo

Wanted to see an old Japanese Horror for sometimes, this one wasn't very good though, except a few unusual shots and settings nothing much good to write about...

5 out of 10

Full Metal Jacket -

Goodfellas -

Munich -

The Crow -

The Color Purple -

Commando -

History of the World, Part 1 -

Hour of the Wolf (1968)

With creepy acting, camera work, and music, I thought this was excellent as a horror movie.

Yes, fantastic film, I also saw this recently...it is excellent even if one (like me) doesn't consider it a horror...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Before Sunrise, 1995
Dir: Richard Linklater

Like many other romance films, this one is mainly conversation-driven. But unlike many other romance films, this one does not force the tenderness nor the sentimentality through standard, cheesy, lovesick phrases. Instead, it lets the romantic quality naturally flow and take its own path, mirroring the insecurities and imperfections of real life, so the tenderness and the sentimentality become a hundred times more touching.

Despite the constant talking and lack of large, emphasized actions it is far from a dull movie and it definitely does not lack profound, silent moments (the scene pictured in the gif above, in which Celine [Julie Delpy] and Jesse [Ethan Hawke] awkwardly try to look at each other without letting the other catch the glance is one of the most memorable scenes. It is simple but so effective, so moving, and it says the most, even if almost no words are delivered by the characters. Its effectiveness is not only due to the qualities of the specific scene itself, but also because of the contrast between it and the rest of the dialogue-filled film).

The topics discussed between the two characters start as silly and mostly innocent observations or remarks, yet as the conversations keep unfolding and unfolding they end in deeply philosophical and beautifully poetic exchanges. Yet they do not take themselves seriously, the film itself does not seem to take itself seriously, because just like life, it cannot be tightly controlled, it simply continues in an uncertain yet natural progression. And henceforth, despite its intelligence, this movie still manages to capture the awkwardness and ambiguity of the very flawed real life, making it splendidly tender and genuinely endearing.

8/10
Great review! A Top 5 film of the 90's.

It's real, because I've had the same exact situations meeting some girl on a train in Europe (minus the love part).. The script was great and interesting. This film didn't cost hardly any money in comparison, it's just really good. I don't think this was even nominated for an Oscar

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Killers - 5/10

I kept seeing this title around here, and I'm a big Lancaster fan, but was pretty disappointed. Maybe I've just see too many film noirs, as they all seem to becoming so similar. That's the problem of categories, it looks it's factory made.

I also expected more because Richard Brooks and John Huston co-wrote the screenplay, and I'm big fans of them as directors and writers.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960)

Very good British kitchen sink drama with Albert Finney. Sometimes I complain that a movie is too long; I thought this was too short. I liked it a good deal and wanted more to happen.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood - 5/10

Other than the needless wrinkle to the established franchise formula in the form of a psychic girl struggling to control her powers, this was a fairly standard entry into the series. The means of resurrecting Jason was definitely over-written, but the kills were all solid, the characters well enough (at least as far as the seventh instalment in an already shakey slasher franchise goes) and the unfolding events reasonably enjoyable. When push comes to shove, it's really only on the lower-end of average quality.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan - 3.5/10

This was the point that the franchise stopped even trying to make sense (my personal favorite WTF moment: when the sewers of New York flood with toxic waste every night at midnight with no negative effects to the surface dwellers only a few feet above). And that's really sad, because I think that it has one of the best premises of the entire series: Jason on a boat. It's a cramped, claustrophobic setting that really offers no place for his victims to run to; it's also a more labarynthian setting, naturally seperating and sectioning off the teenagers for easy pickings without them being complete morons in the process. It's really so much wasted potential, and becomes especially unbearable when they reach the city.

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday - 2/10

This film is unquestionably the most needlessly confusing, least sense making film of them all. It bends over backwards to try to do something different and utterly fails with every attempt. It suffers from Part V's major shortcoming of not actually including Jason Vorhees, but tries to sidestep that by giving him some incomprehenible power to possess living victims. It tries to overthink a simple slasher film with the same style of exaggerated plotting from Part VII and is about as poorly realized as Part VIII. It is, in short, an absolute mess, but surprisingly not the worst one out there.

Jason X - 1.5/10

This is hands down the worst Friday the 13th movie of them all, made at a time where launchig horror icons into space was all the rage, with a tone that comes full circle to a semi-frequent self-parody. The CG was God-aweful, the cybernetic Jason conceptually stupid and the characters insipidly one-note. Far too many deaths occur off screen and most of the ones we do see are questionably tame.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Looking back on the original, stand-alone franchise, I'd rank them:

1) Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
2) Friday the 13th Part III
3) Friday the 13th Part II
4) Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
5) Friday the 13th
6) Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
7) Friday the 13th Part V: The New Beginning
8) Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
9) Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
10) Jason X