Reading Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've always liked Stations of the Tide. It's a bit of a hallucinogenic 'challenge', but it's got a nice simple twist at the end. Which is then followed by yet more of the organic-cyberspace-cultish-tantric-sexy open-endeness that preceded it. I like it anyway

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ay. Asimov & C.Clarke short stories are a safe bet too. Or even their long stories i guess (dunno, never read em )

All i know is, if you read Snow Crash, expect your language skills to diminish. (It's a 'modern classic' with a great conceit towards the second half, but written with the skill and panache of a five-year-old eating pizza)

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Try anything by Robert A. Heinlein, and / or Isaac Asimov.

Also, Octavia Butler has some great stuff IMO. I'm attempting to ready all of her stuff this year. The only hard part of that is availability at my library.

You ready? You look ready.
Can anyone suggest some quality sci-fi?
Damn near anything by Ben Bova. The Asteroid Wars series being my favorite.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

good science fiction

philip k. dick - flow my tears, the policeman said
j.g. ballard - the drowned world
abe kobo - the face of another
russell hoban - riddley walker
harry harrison - west of eden (trilogy)
frank herbert - dune (sharp decline after the first book)
arthur c. clarke - childhood's end

ummm, i will surely think of more

Kindred by Octavia Butler (5/5) was a very good book for me. It was wonderful to be reading something more substance. It involved time travel which isn't explained. A black woman from the 1970's is repeatably sent back to that horrible time in our history when slavery was legal. There she meets and tries to help her ancestors both black and white, while also trying to keep herself safe.

3/5
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Registered Creature

Anyone read any of Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John short stories? They're amazing.

Thistle and Twigg by Mary Saums was a pleasant surprise. I read it mainly because it was set in Alabama. I have a book reading challenge this year to read a book from every state. LOL.

I expected it to be rather insipid chick lit. It turned out to be very engaging and adorable. There were supernatural elements involved that were intriguing as well. Now I'm off to see if the town in the book actually exists.

Now I'm off to see if the town in the book actually exists.
wow. you are actually going to drive there? im impressed. or do you mean research it on the internet?

LMAO! I meant research it on the internet. It doesn't actually exist. I didn't think so.

wow. you are actually going to drive there? im impressed. or do you mean research it on the internet?

oh well that's cool too. i have actually met people who go on those book / movie places tours, so it wouldnt be so far out of the norm.

I so wish I had the leisure time and the disposable income to travel to all the places I read about!

If fact, I've often though it would be ideal to homeschool while traveling the world.

I don't have the money or the time but that would be brilliant!

currently reading the Illuminatus trilogy, book 1. so far, so good.

Maybe the reason I don't like books so much is because my vocabulary is quite limited. Last book I read was Lord of the Flies , most of the time I had little idea what was actually happening - sure the obvious events are there but the descriptions of them baffled my language.

"Then, amid the roar of bees in the afternoon sunlight, Simon found for the fruit they could not reach... passed them back down to the endless, outstretched hands"

... what !?

I did however find a great compilation of short fantasy stories , but I've completely forgotten the name of it. One of the stories was about a guy who insults a water gnome - resulting in the gnome not letting water come near him in any situation.