Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

6.5/10

Welcome to the human race...
Machete Kills -

I miss the days when I used to think Robert Rodriguez movies were "the s**t" instead of "s**t".

Creed (2015)

When you go into a movie with extremely high expectations, you're bound to leave a little disappointed. Unfortunately for Creed, that was the case for me. Maybe it was because I was tired from a long day at work, or maybe it was the fact that a group of idiots sitting behind me kept making noise throughout the film, or maybe it was the movie itself that was a bit overrated. I'm not sure. All I know is that the movie's rave reviews and 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes seemed like an exaggeration.

Let me start by talking about Stallone's performance. It's the best thing about the movie for sure. Even without the award nomination buzz, Stallone is in his comfort zone here playing the one beloved role he can play naturally in Rocky Balboa. Michael B. Jordan was okay for the most part. Nothing too amazing. It's just that I never felt that I really cared for him the way I cared for Rocky in the first movie, and that's saying something. If the main underdog of the movie isn't pulling on your heart-strings and not making you want to pump your fists when he's preparing to face the champ or throwing the first punch...Houston, we have a problem. Again, maybe it was just me on a long tiring day with some distraction behind me that made me not feel a certain way. In other words, I want to give Creed the benefit of the doubt and maybe, unlike Rocky or even Creed's shot at the title, give it a second chance.

Or maybe somebody else who watched it can persuade me to see what I didn't see in the film.

For now I give the movie 3 out of 5. I know it's too low for a movie that's been hyped up to be huge, but, like Tessa Thompson's character tells Adonis Creed, I need to keep it 100.

American Movie (Chris Smith, 1999)

Great documentary. Very inspiring and relateable, and in many ways sad too. Here's someone with great passion for films and a dream to become a successful filmmaker himself, and despite all the criticism and setbacks he receives there seems to be nothing able to stop him from believing in himself, a really heart warming story of determination. Loved editing and soundtrack too, the mixture of real life human content and film related scenes really worked, it felt like a love letter to the art of actual film making too, getting out their, recording sounds, hiring local actors, multiple takes, hours in the editing room etc.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Dune
BBC had the 4 hour version and it took me a few days to knock it out. I remember my brother having a five-hour version on VHS and this one seemed to be missing a few scenes with the Baron being his twisted self and made me wonder what else was edited out. And sadly, this wasn't widescreen so my enjoyment definitely dropped. (Regardless of the severe overacting that saturates this movie, of which I am very well aware of from past viewings of the theatrical 2 hour version)

(YET ANOTHER REWATCH) 2 Guns
I just need to buy a copy and put this one in the collection, I just love it so much.

Knock Knock (2015)

The best bad taste I've ever had in my mouth during an entire movie.

The movie was so surprisingly good I was speechless after the final scene.

WARNING: "Ending spoilers for Knock Knock" spoilers below
When Reeves' son says "Daddy had a party" at the end I lost it

Tremors 5: Bloodline (2015)

With news of Kevin Bacon's Tremors TV Reboot coming out I forgot I didn't post my rating for the newest Tremors that went straight to DVD and Netflix (Red Flag right there). Bloodline is much better than 3 and 4 but that doesn't make it a good movie. Gross as Gummer is always entertaining but the movie itself wasn't good. It is sad that this series will never get the funding that could make it great (Granted the first one was fantastic and it was done for cheap in 90, and the new TV show coming has Kevin Bacon backing it so it could get much more funding). And Jamie Kennedy wasn't terrible like I was expecting him to be, so there's another positive I guess.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Few of Us

First time seeing a Bartas film. It's obvious he has a great eye for visuals, as the compositions are striking. This was a really solid mood-piece, although maybe a little too enigmatic.

Rocky IV (1985)

The plot is pretty ridiculous, and it seems more like a 90-minute music video than a movie at times, but the fight sequence is one of the saga's better ones and it's a decent popcorn flick overall.

Madness is the emergency exit…
Victoria (2015)

As a single take movie like Colombian thriller PVC-1 (2007) or Uruguayan horror flick The Silent House (2010), this German thriller-drama also does a very commendable job to film the entire thing in one continuous shot, particularly when the running time is 134 minutes!! And it took only 3 attempts to film the movie (source: IMDB). Surely the director & his team deserve a big round of applause for that but though it was pretty nicely done with a good cast & a fine, interesting story but near the end it kind of made me eagerly anxious about when it was going to end! It'd be better if they could kept it within 100 minutes.

--: 6.5/10

Festen/ The Celebration (1998) - Thomas Vinterberg

Loved the restless and volatile making of it and how effectively it enhances...always love the so called unsophisticated...well, you can always find out the mastery and the lack of it...this was brilliantly done...

8.5 out of 10