The 1980s - As seen through the eyes of JayDee

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just as I did back for the 1990s (here) I decided to put together an alternative list of films that I feel perhaps more closely represents the epitomy of the 80s, at least for me personally.

In fact I'm going to be lazy and just copy and paste what I wrote for my 90s list with just the odd alteration -

First of all yes Sexy I did steal your idea! At times throughout the 80s countdown I actually found myself agreeing with Sexy (a scary prospect I tell you! ) about it not feeling particularly 80s on occasion, at least not how I think of the 80s. Following Sexy's attempt at a list I decided to attempt my own just for a bit of a fun, purely a personal project. When I was done with it however I decided that I may as well post it here in case someone was perhaps interested in it. People might get a laugh from it or even get the odd recommendation, but more likely it will just strike up some nostalgia and make you go 'oh yeah I remember that film.'

Now this certainly isn't what I think are the best films of the 80s, or even my favourites; they're just films that I really liked/loved during the period. Many of them I've not seen in years so remember very little about them, except for the nostalgic fondness I have for them. I don't know what I'd think of them these days. To make the list easier to wittle down and also to make it more interesting to post I've discounted all films that made the official list, as well as sequels.
For me the 80s were about the macho stylings of Stallone and Schwarzenegger; they were about the proliferation of action adventures; they were about the buddy cop movie; it was a time when Tom Hanks was strictly a comedy actor: it was a time when Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin were still funny; they were about the films of John Carpenter, John Hughes, Joe Dante etc; they were about cheese, oh good lord the cheese!; and more than anything else they were about great fun.

Anyway on with my little bit of nonsense. If anyone wants to criticise the films I've gone with fair enough but it's just a bit of fun and really shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
And for the record here's the 25 films that were on my list

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some really good films there. Believe it or not, my fave would probably be Ruthless People.