2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I never seen Casablanca but weird enough I look up the movie on IMDB and it has Drama and Romance as the first two genres and then war. You would think war would be the first genre since it drives the movie like you said
You really must watch it, MovieFan. It's one of the classics.
Not much of a fan of black and white films, if it was in color I'd probably give it a shot. I know it sounds weird but I just prefer movies when their in color

While I don't agree with watching Casablanca in color, there is a colorized version, and it might be available at archive.org as a free download. (It's listed there, but I haven't watched it.)

Eligibility questions about the Music genre..
Is the IMDB tag sufficient? Would concert movies, MTV unplugged sessions, documentaries, biopics about musicians/singers, long music videos directed by famous directors all be eligible?

“Dying is easy, comedy is hard”

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I hope, poll to be designed so that voters can choose more than one option.

Is the IMDB tag sufficient? Would concert movies, MTV unplugged sessions, documentaries, biopics about musicians/singers, long music videos directed by famous directors all be eligible?
As with all of these genres it is going to be tough on how to whittle them down, but in the case of those specifics, mostly no. If you are talking about Musicals with a capital M, that is a genre that is rooted in the theatre and can be loosely defined as movies consisting of a plot integrating musical numbers. In the Broadway sense this also almost always means that characters express themselves in song and dance, and when they do so it is often like a Shakespearean soliloquy where thoughts are spoken for the benefit of the audience but not the other characters on stage. Or if the entire town or room is taking part in the number, no conscious acknowledgment is made that things are being expressed musically.

A concert or a documentary would not be Musicals with a capital M. That seems pretty obvious. The tougher distinction would be biopics and movies about musicians. If you wanted to be strict I suppose a movie like Bohemian Rhapsody would not count as a Musical, but Rocketman would. All of the numbers in Bohemian Rhapsody are preformed on stages and in studios. In Rocketman many of the songs are performed as fantasies. But unlike documentaries and concert films versus the Musical with a capital M, I suspect we could all agree that when comparing movies like Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, in the long run it is a distinction without a difference. At least for the purposes of one of our lists. Which would mean biopics that are dramas about musicians such as Coal Miner's Daughter and Walk the Line and Respect and Amadeus can be considered Musicals, and then of course that means those kinds of movies about fictitious musicians also count, like That Thing You Do and Almost Famous and A Star is Born and Crazy Heart.

And that should certainly increase participation in the list site wide. If you think Musicals with a capital M are stupid you can still fill your ballot with movies where absolutely nobody starts singing and dancing unless they are on a stage or writing a song somewhere. And that greatly dilutes the list since somebody like that won't even give the obvious, undisputed classics of the genre a chance, which means those who do love and appreciate the form and are more strict in their definitions have little to no shot of seeing more obscure Musicals make it. Which is going to be the problem with all of the remaining genres being discussed.

Once you allow the definition to be broadened what you have at the end isn't really the genre anymore anyway, so why bother? As a proper cinemaniac I would much rather have twenty or thirty people well-versed and passionate about a genre debate and make a list within agreed upon parameters than those thirty people plus another forty or fifty who at heart kind of hate that genre but will begrudgingly participate if you let them bring in things that kinda sorta maybe-ish fit if you squint.

But...here we are. Bring on the poll.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think in hindsight whatever we vote for people should genuinely just vote for what they THINK fits the genre. Then whatever happens, happens.

Which is its own chaos.

With these handful of remaining genres being discussed, I can't foresee eighty or ninety or a hundred MoFos participating each time. I think we'll be lucky to crest around fifty or so. Which means smaller point totals and a lower threshold to make the list. If multiple spots on people's ballots are being taken up by titles only they personally feel fit the criteria you're going to have lots and lots of "one pointers" all up and down ballots, things that nobody else has. Not due to popularity or taste, but because nobody else even considered it. Absolutely fine for a thread where you are talking about your personal favorites but worse than useless in an exercise trying to find a consensus.

I'm glad I ain't running any of them. Going to be a nightmare.

A system of cells interlinked
Just let me know where to post:

#1 Xanadu

I was just thinking of the scene where Zeus says "No, you can't go to the Disco, you have to do your muse homework."

To which Sonny replies "You dumb mug, get your mitts off the dame before I stuff that mud-pipe down your mush."

It would be up to the host...Just like Holden decided what was and wasn't a western for the Western Countdown, the host of any of these proposed countdowns will have to determine a methodology for movie countdown eligibility. I would think that with a Music countdown (note I typed Music and not Musical) that it would be helpful to have a broad 'music movie' definition so that we could attract the most people to participate. If we narrow down the parameters to what is a musical then we would reduce interest and participation.

I hope, poll to be designed so that voters can choose more than one option.
I don't. Here's why: If I vote for all the poll choices and the poll isn't a ranked voting choice then my vote says nothing at all. And if there's say 5 choices and I vote for 4, it can not be determined which of the 4 I voted for was my first choice and which was my last place choice.

I know last poll we had a pesky tie for awhile, but the odds of that happening again if we have 1 person-1 vote is very small. That's why I favor 1 vote per person only.

If I vote for all the poll choices and the poll isn't a ranked voting choice then my vote says nothing at all.
Sure, but that's only if you choose to do that. Functionally that would be the same as choosing not to vote, and people already have the option to not vote, so this doesn't actually create a scenario that's different from any other non-mandatory option.

And if there's say 5 choices and I vote for 4, it can not be determined which of the 4 I voted for was my first choice and which was my last place choice.
Agreed, but that's why ranked choice is better than multiple votes, not why a single vote is better than multiple. That's the actual decision before us, since ranked is not built into this software. I expect multiple votes captures most of the benefit it affords, anyway, though certainly not all.

I know last poll we had a pesky tie for awhile, but the odds of that happening again if we have 1 person-1 vote is very small. That's why I favor 1 vote per person only.
I'm genuinely not sure how to measure the comparative likelihood, if anything I'd say higher numbers makes ties less likely, but it's pretty marginal either way. I agree avoiding a tie would be nice, but a clear result the majority of people do not like is probably worse, and that becomes far more likely with the single vote option.

For context, the approve/disapprove model, and the ranked choice model, are almost always among the two most popular options when people talk about voting reform in modern democracies.

I was just thinking of the scene where Zeus says "No, you can't go to the Disco, you have to do your muse homework."

To which Sonny replies "You dumb mug, get your mitts off the dame before I stuff that mud-pipe down your mush."
I know nobody is quite as big a fan of Xanadu as I am (which is sad for someone in the straight community), but you are forgetting the scene in Sonny's apartment where Kira enters the old black & white movie playing on his television set and has the characters talk to Sonny.

I see no point in doing Fantasy honestly because LOTR would be your winner by default, no need to do the countdown now.

War - I was thinking movies on the battlefield with a serious tone to them but again you may need to broadened things up like have war comedy in there as well, just like musicals you might need to broaden things up also.

Noir - Not a fan of this stuff but would check it out if it won.

I would love to move on to the 2010's but since we agreed to do genre next, I'd pick Comedy.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Personally I hope one of the options is Musical and not Music. I'd most likely participate in the former but definitely not in the latter.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I don't. Here's why: If I vote for all the poll choices and the poll isn't a ranked voting choice then my vote says nothing at all. And if there's say 5 choices and I vote for 4, it can not be determined which of the 4 I voted for was my first choice and which was my last place choice.

Of course one vote per person. I meant within this one vote the possibility more options (themes) to be chosen.
I don't know if this is possible here technically. It is wide-spread in other leading film/music forums.
1. The best way - Weighted Rank of the options in the poll (4 pts / 3 pts / 2 pts)
2. If the above is not possible technically, then for example two out of four options to be selected (2 x 1pt). This would also be super if possible.

Once more, I don't know if this is possible on this platform.

All this will help to avoid the worst scenario - less favorite theme to win because of the split votes.
(one of the users already wrote that he rely on this scenario to happen)

If there's a voting system where you can vote for more than one, but you're really only rooting for one genre, only vote for that one. I don't know why anybody would want to give points to anything else. I think ranked choice and multiple choice sucks personally.

I know nobody is quite as big a fan of Xanadu as I am (which is sad for someone in the straight community), but you are forgetting the scene in Sonny's apartment where Kira enters the old black & white movie playing on his television set and has the characters talk to Sonny.
I figured if I went for the obvious scene you mentioned, it would damage my cinematic street cred. Being a fan of Xanadu hasn't done quite enough damage in that regard, so figured I may have had a bit left in need of protecting...