What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

This is why we have downloading

Naughty naughty.

Last ones I bought were Alien 3 Definitive, The Fourth Kind (review coming soon) and Elm Street remake.
Ok I too wish I hadn't bought two of them, Fourth Kind and Elm are utter pap, (Alien 3 Def is superb), but I'd still rather pay for my movies legally than have to put up with bad quality digital pirates that do nothing to help the movie industry.

PS: If you're on about legal downloads, I take back my naughty comment.

Nope, I'm talking about saving your money for things that don't suck. Try before you buy is an undeniable method, especially since I do buy loads of records/movies. If you think that the movie industry needs help, you're misinformed. Independent artists need help, not Hollywood. Also, I don't get bad quality pirating so idk where you go.

The idea that the movie industry doesn't "need help" is not an argument in defense of piracy on moral or practical grounds. There are many marginal films of varying budgets, and studios often have smaller arms (like Fox Searchlight) that try to find and acquire lesser-known films. Even when they don't, those lesser-known films are more likely to secure various types of financing if potential investors know that there's a chance that a larger studio will scoop it up and distribute. That all gets factored in. There's no magical level of revenue beyond which you're only hurting some stereotypically dehumanized fat cat, rather than the many ordinary people working for them on various levels, or the independent filmmakers often vying for their distribution. Economic effects are not compartmentalized like that.

There are many threads on this and I've had this exact argument before, if you're interested.

Intersting stuff there guys.

Anyway, back to the subjest matter before the thread goes off at a tangent, I lied in my previous post: The last film I bought was Arachnophobia (review coming soon). Simply because it's one I meant to buy for a long time and mainly because it was on sale for £3!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
^ Excellent film and I love that cover.

Picked these up as recommended viewing for my 'Fantasy & the Fantastic in Film and Literature' class:

Seven
Pulp Fiction
Battle Royale
Bruce Almighty
Community: The Complete First Season
Good luck with your class. Sounds interesting. Are you going to be looking at and studying any of those films in the class, or were they purely just recommended viewing?

And those that I've left are all great. Are you a fan of Community or is that a blind buy?

I adore MASH, especially the later seasons with B.J.
Same here. One of my top 5 sitcoms of all time. And I too preferred the seasons with B.J. over the first three seasons with Trapper.

Good luck with your class. Sounds interesting. Are you going to be looking at and studying any of those films in the class, or were they purely just recommended viewing?

And those that I've left are all great. Are you a fan of Community or is that a blind buy?
Studying each of them, and thanks!

Big fan of Community, would have bought season 2 as well but that's not been released here yet, unfortunately. Are you a fan?

Big fan of Community, would have bought season 2 as well but that's not been released here yet, unfortunately. Are you a fan?
Yes I'm a big fan. Although I only discovered it after blind buying the first season on DVD. Also picked up the second season on region 1 which I'm watching just now.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I ordered a copy of Cast Away, because I heard it had to be seen. Seriously, I have never heard so much hype from my friends who have seen it. So, here's hoping its as good as people say.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Same here. Pre-ordered it on Amazon but chose the snail's pace free delivery by mistake.

Used to think that these double play BD/DVD combos served a purpose. The only purpose I now think they serve is raising the price of the package.

Don't see this happening in other forms of life - You don't go out and buy a nice comfy chair and get a smaller, lumpier one thrown into the deal simply because it'll fit in a few more corners than the comfy one?

Same here. Pre-ordered it on Amazon but chose the snail's pace free delivery by mistake.
I always choose that, comes in good time - just only this time I was not in when it was delivered as it didn't fit through the letterbox, so had to wait a few more days for re delivery...

Used to think that these double play BD/DVD combos served a purpose. The only purpose I now think they serve is raising the price of the package.
Not much of a difference in prices - single or double play(if you can find a single now when a double play is out...). DVD on its own is naturally going to be cheaper than the blu-ray as it's below blu-ray quality now. I'd rather pay £14 for that above 'steelbook' edition in blu-ray quality with the DVD also, than £10 for the DVD.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Dunno about you but I'd rather pay less than £14.99 for the BD on its own instead of something coming bundled with a DVD I'll never use.

In the real world, of course, they'll still end up costing the same but these double play packs are needless.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Green Lantern

I thought this was quite good but tbh it has nothing on the other hero films eg: Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk etc

In the real world, of course, they'll still end up costing the same but these double play packs are needless.
Indeed they will more or less. For me, I like double play - if my blu ray player buggers up, I've got the dvd to play on my separate dvd player until I get a new blu-ray player. And also I have some family members who have DVD players only, so they can borrow films off me still.

I ordered a copy of Cast Away, because I heard it had to be seen. Seriously, I have never heard so much hype from my friends who have seen it. So, here's hoping its as good as people say.
Good luck with it, TD. I didn't get on with it myself.

I bought The Hitcher because Sean Bean.
Ooh, no. Please tell me you've seen the original.

Well I love it (top 25-30 on my list, can't remember exactly) but didn't know it was considered a must-see by a lot of other people. But hopefully you enjoy it. And watch what I think is one of the greatest acting performances I've ever seen from Tom Hanks.