American History X = Most powerful movie ever?

→ in
Tools    

Is American History X the most powerful movie ever?
18.33%
11 votes
Yes
81.67%
49 votes
No
60 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Registered Abuser
AHX is a great movie in my opinion.

BANNED (PLANT)
Don't know about the most powerful but it's definitely one of the most moving!

stay in the movie
AHX is a good movie, but there are many that are better like Passion of the crist (mentioned), or pay it forward.

I think this movie sends a strong message to the American people about the extremes of racism. I mean, it is nice to see them do a film like this, but the context to which the film was made really holds water. Also the lines by Ed Norton are really powerful!

honestly this movie sold me on Edward Norton being the greatest actor of all time.

A system of cells interlinked
honestly this movie sold me on Edward Norton being the greatest actor of all time.
Not!

Of all time? Have you seen many films? Dozens of more accomplished and, well, better actors have graced the screen over the years.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not!

Of all time? Have you seen many films? Dozens of more accomplished and, well, better actors have graced the screen over the years.
Only dozens? You're being too kind, pal, too kind.

fbi
american history x is a great film. Makes u realise whats on the film makers mind huh? lol.

I wouldn't call it the most powerful film ever made. It's excellent, yeah, and Norton is outstanding, but I've seen films with a much more profound impact (on me personally). Examples are The Fountain, Taxi Driver, To Kill a Mockingbird, Requiem for a Dream, Half Nelson.

See the trailer here:

...if you don't think [Do the Right Thing] is more powerful than American History X, I'll make you change your mind.
So, Sinny McGuffins, make me change my mind...
Originally Posted by BobbyB
Change my mind. I saw the movie, hated it, and wasn't moved in the least.
OK. First of all, the little yellow guy winking at you was supposed to be me joking. Obviously, I could never change your mind, BobbyB, only you can do that.

I can't remember why I never came back to this thread (I must of completely forgotten about it until I just discovered the neg rep I got hit with) but like I said I can't change your mind, but the least I could do is elaborate on why I think Do the Right Thing is much, much, much better and a helluva lot more powerful than American History X. So here goes.

I'll start by responding to PrometheusFG's comments...

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, is this racial fight. Nothing motivated it to happen at all. Throughout the entirety of the film, the blacks and whites seem to get along, with the exception of a little verbal fighting here an there but nothing more. But all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, they are fighting in this huge brawl with the cops too?
Yes, that's exactly it!

You see, unlike American History X, Do the Right Thing doesn't throw any messages or values at you. Which I think makes it all the more powerful. It's an average day on a New York block, people go to work, meet their friends, and go about their everyday lives. The black and white communities do indeed get along fine, but there's still a subtle racial tension.

The fact that the whole climax stems from one punk kid getting all riled-up about a Pizzeria's wall of fame is entirely the point. All of a sudden there's a big racial issue over something so little. And because of what? One person's opinion on what he thinks is racist.

Some characters always had racial hatred building up inside of them, and all they needed was something to ignite the fuse. The riot all came from an argument between three people and escalated into a huge conflict that involved the whole neighbourhood. Someone was killed, and a Pizzeria was trashed and eventually set on fire.

To me, the film states just how sensitive people are when it comes to race. It's about overreaction, and aggression not leading to any resolution. It's about a guy who would never call himself racist, but finds himself resorting to the N word when in conflict. It's about a guy who's favourite movie star is Eddie Murphy, and yet still claims to hate black people. It's about a kid who completely disrespects a man who was like family, when he chooses to side with his race just because he thinks it's the right thing to do.

The quotes from Martin Luthor King and Malcom X at the end sum the film up. Racism is complicated. What's right and what's wrong is the choice of each individual person, regardless of the colour of their skin.

And that's why I think Do the Right Thing is more powerful than American History X. It's unfortunate you hated it BobbyB, it's one of my favourite films of all time. But of course, everyone has their own tastes.

I loved Do the right thing I have American History X I haven't watched it yet I think I have to be in the right mood, just haven't been in the right, or whatever mood, to take it out of its packaging

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Nebbs, watch it NOW!

Sinny, I appreciate the time you took to explain your thoughts, but I was just really bored and thought the movie was to preachy. AHX didn't preach, just showed you the ugly side of racism and at times, even had the characters trying to change your mind. I loved the movie to death. Still one of my all time favorites.

Another thing I didn't like about the ending of Do the Right Thing

WARNING: "Do the Right Thing" spoilers below
I hated how the character that dies, Radio Raheem, is a guy you really never know and in turn, I don't really feel for him. In fact, I thought they were pushing the limits, and Raheem was being obnoxious, so I didn't feel any emotion at all

To each his own.

Another thing I didn't like about the ending of Do the Right Thing
WARNING: "Do the Right Thing" spoilers below
Yeah, Raheem was being very obnoxious, and he was being very disrespectful and arrogant towards Sal. But really I don't think you're supposed to feel any emotion when Radio Raheem dies, except just the shock that it's the cops who kill him.

This is what starts the riot. The black community watching, including Mookie, start to blame Sal for what the cops did. It wasn't Sal's fault at all, he didn't start the argument, and he didn't call the cops. But because he was white and so were the cops, it unfortunately became a racial issue. And like I said, when Mookie decided to throw the garbage can through the window, that was him trying to do the right thing.

At the end were we see the morning after, when Mookie sees Sal to collect his pay. It gets you thinking about how this all happened, what was the point of it all. And that is precisely the point.

This is an eye opener when people are really closed in on their race. I mean this could happen if we have neighborhoods such as this one shown on the movie.

Just a girl who loves movies
Don't know if I would consider AHX as the most powerful movie (can't really find now a competition out of my head), but it was very disturbing and I considered it to be very good. One of my favourites from then on

Don't know if I would consider AHX as the most powerful movie (can't really find now a competition out of my head), but it was very disturbing and I considered it to be very good. One of my favourites from then on
I think it is disturbing because it somehow depicts parts of what really happens in reality.

i thought it was horrible . Really no plot , it's characters are driven only by their racism - it's extremly fake and non-related to any sort of racism there is.