2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

I'm surprised that Toni Collete won Best Actress. I voted for her, but expected Yalitza Aparicio or Olivia Colman to get it since those films were more popular.

My vote for best actor went to John David Washington. His performance was the only one of the nominations that really stood out to me, though I didn't actually see all of A Star is Born. The real best actor of the year was Nicholas Cage though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Best Director of the Year

Alfonso Cuaron - Roma

Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite

Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born

Alex Garland - Annihilation

Steve McQueen - Widows

Suspect's Reviews

If you thought that the BIG awards were all going to be different from the Oscars, you thought wrong!!! Alfonso Cuaron took this one home with 6 votes while previous Best Director nominated Alex Garland settled for second place with 4.

movies can be okay...
I was actually surprised by the noms for Best Actor. Granted I haven't seen A Star is Born, and I do consider First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here as 2017 films, but Ben Foster and John David Washington were no where near my consideration, even though they did a good job in their respective films. As a matter of fact, I think my nominations for that category were Adriano Tardiolo for Happy as Lazzaro, Yoo Ah-in for Burning, Jim Cummings for Thunder Road, Joaquin Phoenix for The Sisters Brothers, and Giannis Drakopoulos for Pity.

I ended up voting for Ethan Hawke.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Bohemian Rhapsody hate is in FULL SWING and the film wins Worst Film Of The Year. Is it warranted? It earned 6 votes while the ski/fi disappointment Cloverfield Paradox came in second with 3. Someone voted for Griswold too.

I think Best Director was the only category where none of my favourites actually made the ballot. I voted for Alex Garland, though I didn't expect him to win.

Similarly, since the film that I actually thought was the worst of the year (Ready Player One) didn't get nominated, I settled for my second worst, The Cloverfield Paradox. I had nominated The Predator, but on retrospect I didn't think it was that bad. I'm not at all surprised that Bohemian Rhapsody won though, based on the backlash it received.

Is Mofo correcting a wrong that the Oscars did or are they a bunch of arty-farty film folks? Roma wins this with 4 votes. Mandy, the underdog in this category tied for second with Infinity War, both earning 3. The Favourite, Annihilation and Hereditary all earned 2 with A Star is Born and First Reformed being lonely single votes.