Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gooble gobble, one of us!
One film ignites the passion, but another film sustains the love for the director.
Hmm, a poet we have here? Quite beautifully put, I almost shed a couple of manly tears reading that post. Almost....

Not currently on fire...
'Mega Python vs. Gatoroid' (2011)

Okay so you really should know what you are getting in for with a SyFy channel original feature with a title like that one. This is definitely one of the cheesier and dafter entries and is as much about the fight between Debbie Gibson and Tiffany as it is about the titular monsters. Plenty for genre fans to love, all others need not apply.

(PS - I'm going to be writing up a full review later this month as part of a creature feature marathon, see my twitter below for more)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I Could Go on Singing (1963)

I Could Go on Singing was Judy Garland's final movie, and it was a great movie to end her wonderful movie career. Judy Garland plays a singing star who wants to meet and spend time with her teenage son who she gave up years earlier. Dirk Bogarde plays the boy's father, but much of the movie centers more on the building relationship between mother and son, and how it affects the boy's father.

Judy Garland's singing performances are the highlights of the film, but there's a wonderful story here too. There are also some great scenes between Judy Garland and her manager (played by Jack Klugman).

Captain Newman, M.D. (1963)

Captain Newman, M.D. is a drama/comedy set in a psych ward during the war. Gregory Peck plays the doctor who is trying to help the mental patients. This is one of my favorite performances by Gregory Peck because he's not as stiff as he is in most of his other movies. Tony Curtis is wonderful as the comic relief throughout the movie, and Bobby Darin gives an amazing performance as one of the mental patients.

Some of the other actors giving great performances in this movie are Angie Dickinson as the nurse, and Eddie Albert and Robert Duvall as patients.

Really like your dedication to the 1963's list gbgoodies.

Thanks. I'm not even near done. I have a whole watchlist of movies from 1963 to watch before I submit my list. I'm trying to watch two movies every night.

The Hired Hand (1971)

I think this is what they call an anti-Western; it's not one of those cowboys and Indians types. Very good performances from Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, and Verna Bloom, it's filmed great, and has a terrific musical score. At 90 minutes, it's a fairly short movie that I think only has a certain ceiling, but I very much liked everything about it. Very good mood and atmosphere, with a simple yet thought provoking story.

Mr.Babadook (2014) - Jennifer Kent

- Wow surprise! stylish australian horror flick with some great acting from the two principal actors. The Babadook is creepy as hell and I completely love it. Soundtracks , score and mood are amazing. Really a very good movie.

+

Lord High Filmquisitor
Edge of Tomorrow - 7.5/10

A good, but not great, film with a solid pair of performances and an interesting premise (even if the actual writjng was exceedingly conventional). It was certainly entertaining enough for what it was, and is one of my favorite Cruise movies (probably fourth or fifth), even if it doesn't actually rate all that highly with me.

Welcome to the human race...
The Rover -

The sophomore feature from David Michôd trades the densely plotted but taut crime drama of Animal Kingdom for a film that can generously be described as "arthouse Mad Max". Guy Pearce spends the movie trying to track down the bandits who stole his car, dragging along the mentally challenged kid brother of the lead bandit (Robert Pattinson) in the process. The very familiar premise isn't given much in the way of interesting development and it's padded out pretty severely by a lot of landscape photography and moody silences (when there isn't loud atonal droning dominating the soundtrack). The acting leaves a bit to be desired - Pearce is alright, but Pattinson's attempts to show some range fall flat and he tends to be incomprehensible more often than not.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Have you never seen any of the Die Hards before this binge-watching? If so you can look forward to the 3rd one, and 4th one is awesome too, but for the love of God just skip 5...
Ya, it's embarassing but it was my first time watching Die Hard! I'll watch the 3rd one today, I hope!

The Girl Next Door (2007) - 5/10
Thankfully didn't go down the route of being gratuitously graphic but while it was perfectly watchable some of the young cast didn't perform that well and the film in general just didn't really captivate me.

Winter Light (1963)

This Bergman film is about a priest who comes to doubt his faith, and the woman who's love he doesn't return. I hate saying this, but the fact that I'm not in the least bit religious, was probably a problem for me in this. Somebody questioning their faith just isn't compelling to me. I could be interested under the right circumstances, but I found these characters to be dull and selfish. This is my 6th Bergman, and I've found them all to be slow building, but they all eventually clicked with me and made me feel something. There's a point in this movie when one of the characters is mean to another, and it seemed as though this was supposed to be an emotional scene. It didn't work for me; it actually felt like sort of a trick, as in lull the viewer into a certain sedation, and then hit them with something that bites. This has worked for me in past Bergman films, but here I felt nothing, although that's not to say I didn't like it at all. One more problem I had with the film: there's a tragedy that occurs, and when other characters find out about it, there's no reaction at all. They just go on as if nothing happened, no emotion, nothing. I found this to be extremely odd, and I thought it somewhat discredited the movie. I did like the movie moderately; it has many of the usual Bergman touches, some very good dialogue, and fine acting. From what I understand, this was Bergman's favorite movie amongst his own. So far, it's my least favorite.