Movies that have CNN footage in the Movie.

Tools    

Hi,

I am trying to find some movies or as many movies as anyone can think of that have CNN (or some CNN knockoff, VCN CVN) as footage in the movie. I am mainly into older movies from the 1990s. But if CNN even existed back in the 1980s I would like to know if there were any movies back then. With CNN.

Movies that I can think of right off my head are Executive decision. That shows some CNN footage. Of the hijackers or the leader of the hijackers. And the movie Jurassic Park the Lost World shows a bogus CNN news clip with Bernard Shaw, who no longer is a host. Talking about the Dinosaurs on Isla Numbar. And Hammond was sitting there watching it. Other movies are Left Behind where it is VCN. Talking about the Antichrist. And there's that horrible Disaster L.A. movie where CNN is mentioned. I believe the movie Olympus has fallen shows footage of MSNBC.

Since CNN goes back to the 1980s I know that there were movies that had to have CNN shown in them. Funny when you do a google search on this nothing comes up. I would think that this is a popular topic. I am drawing dead stones on the internet.

Yeah but movies made (that are not too obscure) from the 1980s to the 1990s that has CNN news footage. I don't care if it is a bogus news story, like in Jurassic Park or like in the movie Contact where they somehow got the real president Bill Clinton to talk about a SETI signal. I am pretty sure that all of the news stories or clips would be bogus because it is a movie! Meant to be fiction. But I would still like to know. Really bugs me that the internet, a so called powerful tool to find information is really a downer on this. I would have better luck asking a bunch of kids with colored pencils (than the internet.) All I know is, if you want to know something like the first Marconi transmission or movies that have CNN footage —Read a book! If you want to know about having more legroom on a plane ask Chuck Shumer. But I hope you guys can help.

Anything you guys can come up and brainstorm would be nice. I am passing the baton.
P.S. I definitely want CNN footage. Not Fox or MSNBC. Or not some old fuzzy screen looking Walter Kronkite. A Johnny Carson show or a Dave Letterman interview. None of that. Like where you are watching the movie and they show the news where it is relevant to the movie. And on the "news" it actually says CNN. I would think they are all over the place. And maybe a more advanced follow on to this — Are there any cartoons made like ever that as part of satire has CNN footage in it? Disney or Pixar.

Thanks!

I would try movies set in Washington or with a political theme like "Dave," "My Fellow Americans," Man of the Year" or "Swing State" or specific CNN personalities. I remembered Larry King appearing in "Ghostbusters" but when I looked it up on YouTube, I found he was then a radio show host, not on CNN.

I might check out BlackKlansman Yoda. But..Spike Lee? Does Spike Lee have CNN footage in any of his other movies. Why all of a sudden now. Is their goal the opposite of Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah Winfrey's couch. Is their goal stealing Oprah Winfrey's couch? Sounds like it to me. We already know that the news has no credibility. Movies have absolutely no credibility. And they never will. At least with the news there is some hope (not really crossing my fingers.) Movies just rip off fads or feelings or some vibe that they believe they can market to us in a dumbed down mushed way. In General movies are horrible when they try to splice in CNN footage. But sometimes I think it is funny and has an effect. Like Jurassic Park with Bernard Shaw. I actually thought that last scene was hilarious. The movie as a whole I thought was dull. And bad.

Yeah, I didn't love it. It was kind of hamfisted. Obviously, though, his goal was to explicitly tie this to real-world events. It makes sense in that context, though obviously we can question the decision to do that. It certainly seems to date and dilute the film.

I was going to say real fast. Saw a movie the other day. By saw, meaning I could make it through twenty minutes of it. Some movie on FilmRise (for free) called Invasion of the Pod People. Danae Nason is in this. I am into those invasion of the Pod people type of movies. I have been trying to think of anything to get me away from zombie movies. It has a segment with Wolf Blitzer and some CNN footage. Like they are talking about some Meteor Shower or Asteroid spectacle and "NASA" this or that. I thought this movie would be good because of that. This movie, Invasion of the Pod People (from 2007) is proof that having CNN or Fake CNN footage (who can tell these days what is fake CNN or real CNN) won't make the movie good. This movie actually has damaged my ability to see any movie. I made it up to the lesbian scene, which is like twenty minutes into it.
I don't know what to say. Hollywood is in the toilet. I think they believe showing footage of the news will give whatever crummy topic they display credibility.

I am trying to watch Anzio right now and Halls of Montezuma with Richard Widmark. Both classic films, and I just can't. Just knowing that both of those are movies (like the same species is in those films that made Invasion of the Pod people.)

I believe Anderson Cooper appears as Anderson Cooper in these films

Chappie (2015)
The 33 (2015)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

I believe Anderson Cooper appears as Anderson Cooper in these films

Chappie (2015)
The 33 (2015)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

I tried hard to get through Chappie. I couldn't. Chappie is based supposedly in South Africa right? I am trying to process that in itself. Anderson Cooper really gets around. I have a hard time making out Anderson Cooper. Yeah I mean he is popular. But he reminds me of Pen and Teller or something. I am reading a book called Don't Check Your Brains At the Door. Written in 1992, and that must have been right before CNN. It talks about a lot of stuff like Shirley Maclaine and some kind of New Age mysticism movement that she was a part of. To me, CNN is really pretty much the New Age mysticism movement from the early 1990s. By into 2000 and on to now it's no longer called New Age Mysticism.

I have some pretty strong views on this. What you just posted though Corax to me shows that like in the 1990s seeing CNN footage in a movie would be seen as kind of novelty or experimental.
Now it's Christmas Tree Lane. It's normalized. I watched Ghost Rider the other day and I really liked that movie. Eva Mendes plays a reporter and she is Nicolas Cage's love interest. You don't see a bunch of Anderson Cooper or Wolf Blitzer segments spliced in there. The movie is fiction and so you interpret Eva Mendes as being exactly who she says she is: A reporter. And in my opinion she does a good job. Actually as an actress she could easily be a Dana Bash or Erin Burnett or Hallie Jackson. Another kind of creepy thing about CNN is that a lot of the reporters that you see on their new casts aren't even listed by name on their website, like the Blue Oyster cult said, A Rock through a window never comes with a kiss. And their website has a long extensive list of names. The whole thing of Art imitating reality and reality imitating art comes into question. Ahh.
Chappie. Tried to get through it. We used to have strong presidents that would tell us to light Candles for solidarity with other people. CNN is like there now perpetually. But they don't tell us to do that. It's always talking about the Death Toll of whatever. It's not the way of the take courage anymore, and ironic because CNN is in all of these super hero movies, about some courageous hero. I don't buy it. If Bill Weir were to pick up the Antikythera mechanism, I know that he would drop it and probably shatter it. And CNN would be the first to cover it up. It's not the highly artistic world that I envisioned growing up – its more like molding us into a beehive. The CNN beehive. It's possible that Ghost Rider is my favorite super hero movie, for nothing else other than CNN is not in it, but it's Eva Mendes.

A system of cells interlinked
CNN launched in 1980, so it had been around for quite a while by 1992.

I also see many films that basically have CNN in the film, but it's a fictional version...OK, an even more fictional version of that network. So it has different initials but they use the same style of chyrons etc. so it looks like CNN.

I also see many films that basically have CNN in the film, but it's a fictional version...OK, an even more fictional version of that network. So it has different initials but they use the same style of chyrons etc. so it looks like CNN.

Wow. The 1980s. Going back to Mycenaen times. Love your Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Yeah I believe the Beatles Song a Day in the Life was based on a Solzhenitsyn book called a Day in the Life in a Camp. Or something. I have that as one of my game show questions, I made during the Covid Pandemic. This gets into a bigger and perhaps sprawling topic. Yoda brought up the BlackKlansman and Spike Lee. We're talking about the origins of CNN now (somehow I feel like just talking about this makes us literal characters from the The Stand.)

I grew up in the 1980s and I never remember hearing the term CNN. The movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out in 1990 and April O'Neil (I think that's what her name was) was a reporter. You would think that CNN would be on that. Unless of course that is what the Foot Clan was. The whole April O'Neil thing being a reporter exposing the Foot Clan could have been an metaphor for CNN and how they would takeover (foot clan esque) cable news. I am thinking about it too deep I guess. The big deal with CNN was that they were 24 hour nonstop news, and supposedly they were the first to do it. Unless you have knowledge that can dispute that. Now when you see CNN or some fictionalized CNN on a movie, you are expecting it to be doom and gloom, like an Alien takeover or meteors hitting, or a Purge (actually I don't think the Purge movies use CNN or even like a fictionalized CNN.) Al Roker has been a weather man for forty years. Somehow though he slipped under the radar of being in movies (although he might be in a few, can't think of one off hand. Geraldo has been referenced at least ten to twenty times from movies (and TV shows) in the late eighties.

Fox news in my opinion actually does a better job of that (doing the Sci Fi scenario thing.) If you like seeing that Reporter (whom you know) and it's a Science Fiction movie, talking about the Fifth Wave or Aliens to me Fox news would be a better seller on that. Not– that Fox news is any less fiction.
Man, since you said 1980s I am getting a flood of movies into my head that I wonder if CNN would have been kind of appropriate for. **At least the CNN that I am familiar with from late 90's on. The Seventh Sign with Demi Moore. Can picture CNN in that. Actually to me based on the material of that movie, it is very bizarre that something like CNN wouldn't be in it. To me it has to be some kind of New Age mysticism. Because if they were around back then and they weren't in movies, that means that if you are someone who is doing the actual news (or at least in your mind, that is what you actually believe you are doing) you are not going to demote yourself to some crummy director sticking you in a movie – playing as "yourself." Some screen reproduction of a strip of cine-camera film.
Actually that is the most ridiculous thing you can think of. If Anderson Cooper is playing as himself in some role in a movie, then who is he when you see him on the actual news?? PumpkinHead II Blood Wings? Mayor Bubba?
I'm reading this stupid book called Lies they teach in school. It says "No where in Shakespeare's play does Macbeth say, "Lead on Macduff." His actual words, in act V scene VIII, are "Lay on, Macduff, and damn'd be him that first cries "Hold enough!" This probably applies to Caitlyn Collins..Who isn't even mentioned on the CNN website as a reporter. The foot clan?

Right, film and television also frequently winks at us with fake versions of Fox news. HBO's Succession is obviously a satire of Fox and Rupert Murdoch.

Having Anderson Cooper appearing as "CNN reporter Anderson Cooper" in films and TV shows is a cute way to get verisimilitude (Wow, that not only looks like the guy. That is the guy!), but it also potentially creates a referential house of mirrors. Anderson Cooper talks about controversy about a movie in which Anderson Cooper appears which is referenced in the sequel to the movie.

TV Tropes has an entry (can't remember which one -- there are too damned many of them) on self-referential media which creates a chicken-and-the egg paradox/grandfather paradox. That is, Family Guy Makes a referential joke about the Big Bang Theory and we also find Big Bang Theory making references to Family Guy. When we're watching Family Guy the other show is the "fiction" (in that world). When we watch The Big Bang Theory, however, Family Guy is referenced as a fiction. But when we connect the dots, we find that one show refers to another show as a fiction which refers back to the reality of that show as a fiction, melting the boundaries of reality.

I am at the point that I don't really care how many worlds there are in which John Munch is a real detective. Richard Belzer is dead and every gag wears itself out after a while. Likewise, I don't really care how many "worlds" Red Apple cigarettes or Weyland-Yutani is in. I love me some Kurt Russell, but Soldier is NOT a sequel or side-quel or prequel to Blade Runner even though a screen shows the battle of the "Tannhauser Gate" in Soldier.

At the other extreme, however, I don't want to go back to world in which all beer comes in a white can that has a label which says "Beer" on it.

Do just much as to make the reality seem real for a moment. But don't overdo it. Don't get too cute. Don't lose the plot. Stop trying to tunnel into every damned fictional universe with cute references. GET OFF MY LAWN! Oh my God, that's a reference. AGHHHHH!!!

I grew up in the 1980s and I never remember hearing the term CNN.
I definitely so, but only because people were talking about it as being the new thing, and groundbreaking in its formatting.

That said, it took years for it to really insert itself into people's lives and routines, as before then, the news was something you watched around dinner time - local first for 30 minutes, then national for another 30. Real news junkies sat in front of stuff like 60 minutes and The McNeil Lehrer Report, which was shit I just straight up avoided as much as possible, desperately scanning all the channels for anything that resembled sci-fi or action at the time: gems like Airwolf or Battlestar Galactica. The world wasn't ready for 24 hour news, and apparently, neither was CNN, which is why their wild flailing about to fill the airwaves for 24 hours is what began the inevitable descent of quality news coverage into something that resembled the news agencies in Sidney Lumet's classic film Network.

When the news just had 30 minutes, they only had time to report the facts. There wasn't room for speculation, spin, or storytelling. They had about 18 minutes, with commercials, to fit all the lead stories in before the smiling blonde guy with the perfect teeth came on to stick little adhesive clouds to his weather map. 4 minutes later, and they were cramming local sports into the last 6 minutes. Whoops! Time for the Pizza Hut pizza and Walter Cronkite talking on about the lame duck Gerald Ford, Lee Iacocca and Chrysler, and how cars needed to get smaller or we would face a gas shortage. I ignored al of this waiting for the weekly special to come on so I could watch Charlie Brown and the great pumpkin.

It took America, and the world for that matter, many years to come around to 24 hour news.

You are pretty much spot on as far as when CNN really took off - in the 90s. Not sure when it became a staple in airport waiting areas, but I presume it was shortly after 9/11.

. Likewise, I don't really care how many "worlds" Red Apple cigarettes or Weyland-Yutani is in. I love me some Kurt Russell, but Soldier is NOT a sequel or side-quel or prequel to Blade Runner even though a screen shows the battle of the "Tannhauser Gate" in Soldier.

Really Weyland-Yutani is what this is all about. I have been banned from forums talking about this, because I believe this is a literal cult. You are talking about reality melting or melting into other belief systems and tropes. Some people don't believe Weyland-Yutani is fiction. And I am not talking about conspiracy theorists – like who get into secret technology and whatever. But people make Weyland-Yutani be real. I kinda got banned for talking about that, somewhere, I perceive by a Weyland-Yutani cult member. Talking about Elon Musk and Mars, and of course that gets into the whole melting effect of CNN, Anderson Cooper, the Family Guy.

The Martian is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's directed by the same guy who started the Weyland-Yutani cult. And hmm..strange but..oh yeah. CNN Is mentioned, or I mean shown in The Martian. Actually CNN (or seeing CNN) was kind of what the whole build up of the movie was about. I loved it and it disgusted me at the same time. Because it wasn't real! Matthew Damon did not go to Mars and he did not plant potatoes there, and he was not the Planet's first botanist. And he didn't talk live back to earth (although there was some twenty minute delay.) Then CNN shows up and gets you pumped up for Matthew Damon to do this miraculous rendevous with the Space Ship sent from Earth to save him. The real producers and the real Ethos of CNN must literally love that. But I wonder if they are even capable of totally discerning that and removing that as fiction. The CNN footage in the Martian looked exactly like if I were to right now turn it on CNN. It actually looked better. Like it would be a topic that I would actually want to watch the news for to see.
This all could be about the Weyland-Yutani cult. I noticed this about twenty years ago, when I first started using the internet. And actually I couldn't believe it. It's like people who have this mentality that already, They are ready. They are ready for it....

Really Weyland-Yutani is what this is all about. I have been banned from forums talking about this, because I believe this is a literal cult. You are talking about reality melting or melting into other belief systems and tropes. Some people don't believe Weyland-Yutani is fiction. And I am not talking about conspiracy theorists – like who get into secret technology and whatever. But people make Weyland-Yutani be real. I kinda got banned for talking about that, somewhere, I perceive by a Weyland-Yutani cult member. Talking about Elon Musk and Mars, and of course that gets into the whole melting effect of CNN, Anderson Cooper, the Family Guy.

The Martian is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's directed by the same guy who started the Weyland-Yutani cult. And hmm..strange but..oh yeah. CNN Is mentioned, or I mean shown in The Martian. Actually CNN (or seeing CNN) was kind of what the whole build up of the movie was about. I loved it and it disgusted me at the same time. Because it wasn't real! Matthew Damn did not go to Mars and he did not plant potatoes there, and he was not the Planet's first botanist. And he didn't talk live back to earth (although there was some twenty minute delay.) Then CNN shows up and gets you pumped up for Matthew Damon to do this miraculous rendevous with the Space Ship sent from Earth to save him. The real producers and the real Ethos of CNN must literally love that. But I wonder if they are even capable of totally discerning that and removing that as fiction. The CNN footage in the Martian looked exactly like if I were to right now turn it on CNN. It actually looked better. Like it would be a topic that I would actually want to watch the news for to see.
This all could be about the Weyland-Yutani cult. I noticed this about twenty years ago, when I first started using the internet. And actually I couldn't believe it. It's like people who have this mentality that already, They are ready. They are ready for it....

If we're talking about "melting reality" consider the bonus for CNN. We cannot escape CNN being our "reality" even in our fiction. CNN allowing (or encouraging) Anderson Cooper do a cameo isn't just a cute Easter Egg, but is more like a dog peeing on a tree to mark it's turf--WE are the news! Even when you dream, you will dream of CNN. And this is why product placement is ever so popular--it's always working on the subconscious mind. Don't worry if it is a rerun dear advertisers. Digital product placement has been updating product placement for decades.

Ha. The cult stuff reminds me of all these people who claim Netflix's The OA never got canceled, and has spilled out into reality, which is reinforced by Brit Marling posting cryptic pictures and sayings on her social media. People analyze the folds in her clothing for secret messages. Others show up on the street to perform the interpretive gestures from the show, claiming that if they just do it enough, the show will come back online and the story will continue.

I mean... I like Brit Marling, but man...some folks have too much time on their hands.

You are pretty much spot on as far as when CNN really took off - in the 90s. Not sure when it became a staple in airport waiting areas, but I presume it was shortly after 9/11.

I'll make my own decoys..lol. Yeah it's almost like V. When they did that remake of the show V, and they aired it, for a second my mind wasn't totally cogent or lucid, and I saw that big screen jumbotron and someone with that too good looking and pristine face come on, I thought this was some new show on CNN. And of course it was the show V. The show V or the remake did not do that well. But people all the time say (including Trump) how poorly CNN's ratings are. But I don't think that's the point. Like you said they have really engineered a totally new sample temperature. I notice that the airport in my town has shut it off. Some people are really thinking about preservation now.