Star Wars: The Clone Wars

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Executive summary: meh.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

There is something about all Star Wars films that makes them enjoyable, even if they are not particularly good. Inevitably, there comes a moment where a beloved character is in peril or a crucial outcome is in jeopardy, the music picks up at just the right moment, and we experience that lovely rush of excited memory.

There are such lovely rushes in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but they are few and far between, and what is between them makes for a pitiable contrast. Everything here is dumbed down. The give-and-take is slow and easy to process, the character dynamics are simplistic, and the film telegraphs its relatively few turns. This is Star Wars for children.

Set between the events of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, this installment narrows in on some of the specific battles and events in the "Clone Wars" we've heard so much about. The central event is the kidnapping of Jabba the Hut's son. Jabba controls certain trade routes, and both sides of the conflict vie for his favor by promising to rescue him, like two armies struggling for control of a strategically important bridge.

Most of the characters are the same, but most of the voices are new. Obi-Wan Kenobi is voiced by James Arnold Taylor, Anakin Skywalker by Matt Lanter, and Tom Kane does an uncanny Yoda. The only major voice talents to reprise their physical roles are Christopher Lee (Count Dooku), Anthony Daniels (C-3P0), and Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu).

The primary addition to the cast is Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein), a Padawan learner assigned to Anakin. Ahsoka's design is interesting (ever seen a Jedi in a tube top?), but as written the character couldn't be shallower. Not content to embody a single cliche, she is both the wisecracking-sidekick-who-disobeys-orders and the precocious-amateur-determined-to-prove-their-worth.

At almost every turn, the film undermines its own attempts at producing any sort of tension. I look forward to the day when we no longer have to hear someone responding to criticism during a battle with a sarcastic "I'm a little busy right now!" Ahsoka and Anakin attempt to banter during almost every action sequence, a form of subtraction by addition which is devoid of wit or originality.

The voice work is passable for the most part, but laughably bad at times. An extended member of the Hut clan sounds disturbingly like Truman Capote, and many characters come to a halting stop at every period.

All these problems become a bit less surprising when you consider the tremendous work which must have gone into the film's technical aspects. George Lucas' epic world has been heavily stylized, but retains its core look and feel. Character wear their hair like rigid helmets, and have impossibly exaggerated, angular faces that reflect their personalities. The stylistic choices are bold, but it works unequivocally and is lovely to look at, even if Senator Palpatine looks uncannily like Joe Lieberman.

There are some bright spots outside of the art direction. A vertical fight on the face of a massive cliff is particularly inventive, though all too short. If nothing else, the sequence shows us that Star Wars can work in animated form, provided they find the right story. This isn't it.

A system of cells interlinked
Good review!

"a form of subtraction by addition"

I might have to borrow that one...

Thanks for taking one for the team there Yods, was this a family affair or were you actually excited to go see this?

I have no urge whatsoever to see this and you really cemented that feeling for me.

What's the point? More money I'm sure, and I imagine they'll make plenty just because it says Star Wars on the title somewhere.

So this is like episode 2.5? Whatever.

I was excited when I saw the trailers, but as the release approached, word of mouth got around and I saw how poorly it was being reviewed. My girlfriend loves Star Wars, though, and felt she had to see it even though we both knew it would be bad.

I don't hate the idea and I don't agree with some reviewers, like Ebert, who feel the animation was lacking. It's true that the faces lack emotion, but I was pretty enamored with the overall style. But they didn't have anything even approaching a decent script.

So much of the film is just flat-out lazy. For example, at one point Obi-Wan is seemingly beaten by a Sith, who's disarmed him and has a lightsaber pointed in his face. How does he escape this? By ducking. That's all. I thought it was understood that, when a good guy is cornered, something special has to happen to save them. Another good guy, for example, can come in. For crying out loud, at least give us an explosion which distracts the bad guy.

There are other examples of this sort of thing, wherein the good guys are surrounded or held captive, and escape by just moving around a bit quicker than the bad guys, and possibly punching them suddenly. If they're just flat-out faster, and can use that fact to escape being seemingly beaten, then what danger are they really ever in? If they don't have to outsmart or outmaneuvering the bad guys, but are simply better, then what's the difference between their fight scenes and an arm wrestling match?

There's also an insanely goofy, Starship Troopers-esque voiceover in the beginning. It's in the style of an over-the-top newscast, or somesuch, and it's supposed to bring us up to date. It doesn't tell us anything terribly crucial, though, and nearly qualifies as self-parody. The fact that it also seems to have taken the place of the famous scrolling words that precede all the other films makes it downright inexplicable.

By the by, I'm not exaggerating about the Truman Capote thing; my girlfriend and I both started to say exactly that to each other (she got it out first) after the first few lines of dialogue from the character. More than once, I visualized what it might be like to sit and watch each scene with Lucas, and just ask him "what on earth were you thinking? Don't you see how stupid this looks/sounds/is"? Not a good sign.

The only silver lining here might be that this serves as some sort of wakeup call for those involved. For all the criticism of the prequels, they were still huge successes, which may have allowed them to dismiss the criticism. This looks it will be a rather substantial disappointment, and will hopefully spark enough introspection about the turn the series has taken.

Despite how badly this flick came out, I want them to try again. The broad world of Star Wars is great fun, and even a half-decent script set inside it should make for an above-average film.

Yeah, I don't see why they can't just take Star Wars in a whole new direction. Star Trek has been reinventing itself for decades with a good deal of success.

Why not start something new if one really must continue the Star Wars saga? I would certainly watch it. They have 7 movies based around the central characters now. It seems to this humble viewer that the term 'beating a dead horse' should probably come to mind at some point.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My thoughts of this garbage are in the upcoming movies section and I feel the same way.

what a waste.

Suspect's Reviews

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Yeah, I don't see why they can't just take Star Wars in a whole new direction. Star Trek has been reinventing itself for decades with a good deal of success.

Why not start something new if one really must continue the Star Wars saga? I would certainly watch it. They have 7 movies based around the central characters now. It seems to this humble viewer that the term 'beating a dead horse' should probably come to mind at some point.
I'd rather if Lucas just didn't continue the series.

Registered Reviewer Writer
I think Padawan was a great character for little girls. She's super tough!!

I am the Nightrider!
This is my review, that I would like to share. Being an avid "Star Wars" fan, I felt I needed to share this with the class.

I'd like to take you back in time a few years: May 28, 1983 to be exact. It was a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon. I was 9 1/2 years-old, riding shotgun in my mother's old Country Squire station-wagon. She was driving us home from the movie theater in the Hudson Mall in Jersey City, where we just watched a little film called "Return of the Jedi." At this point, it was my second viewing of the film (I played hooky on the 25th and watched it first). As we pulled onto our block, something struck me. What struck me was the sheer fact that there wasn't going to be any more "Star Wars" films, which broke my little heart. Darth Vader was dead, the Empire was defeated and the galaxy was saved, and not to mention all the press and reports stating that it was "The Final Chapter of Star Wars." I was very sad.

In 1997, when it was announced that "Star Wars Episode I" actually started filming, as graciously covered in Star Wars Insider, I was happier than a fly on a turd. I merely counted the days till May '99 and I thought back to that instance, of that sad child in '83 that wasn't getting any more "Star Wars" films. This was a real dream come true.

Of course, "Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace" opened up and sadly disappointed me. I mean sure, I won't lie, I was giddy in my seat to see Jedi again, to see lightsabers again, to see R2-D2 again, young Obi-Wan meeting young Anakin, the creation of C-3PO and that new wicked Sith Lord, Darth Maul. F*ck yeah! But in the same vein, Jar Jar Binks and some of the silly dialogue really bothered me, to the point where I found myself, well, disappointed. Sixteen years I waited, and George kind of let me down, giving me kiddie garbage mixed with my "Star Wars." Of course, I've learned to live with it, and for the most part I always find myself defending "Episode I" for being a mere introductory film...where a simple, peaceful galaxy was turning to sh*t. I loved "Episode II" (probably my favorite of the prequels) and "Episode III" is a great, dark installment which actually makes "Episode I" a more solid film (that's another story). It's clear to me, that the prequel trilogy lost some magic...but still managed to keep the true spirit of "Star Wars" alive. And once again, when I came home from witnessing the Birth of Darth Vader in "III," I was sad again, no more "Star Wars." It's over.

Wait, not so fast....

George Lucas decided to take his pilot episode for his 'in-depth' "Star Wars: Clone Wars" TV series he promised us and make it a feature film. You might remember him covering this ground before back in 2004/2005 where he gave 25 short episodes leading up to the events that occur in "Episode III." It was a cool concept...and a cool little mini-series. So, another theatrical "Star Wars," that little boy was happy again...and now, he is PISSED!!

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is basically a bitch-slap in every "Star Wars" fans' face. If you thought "The Phantom Menace" was childish, wait till you see this movie! Even worse off, the storyline of what supposedly happens to our heroes during The Clone Wars, is so pathetically ridiculous, that I may want to, a) just curl up in a corner hugging a copy of "Empire Strikes Back" and cry or, b) find George Lucas and piss on him! What the fck was he thinking??

The basic plot is no big mystery, the Clone Wars are raging on, Clones and Battle Droids are kicking each other's asses, Dooku takes on a new cool apprentice, and Anakin and Obi-Wan are best of friends fighting noble alongside each other. Cool.

Enter Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's new Padawan, getting upped from a Youngling. The plot has Yoda splitting Obi and Ani up again. This time, Anakin and his new Padawan are missioned to find Jabba the Hutt's son, who has been kidnapped by the Separatists, namely Dooku and his new apprentice, Assajj Ventress, in a ploy to get Jabba's hand in the Separatist movement. Dooku also plans to blame the Jedi for the crime in a set-up. Obi-Wan is sent to speak with Jabba, in faith that his son will be returned to him unharmed, which is then shot down by Dooku's visit to Jabba, claiming the Jedi will kill his son and then Jabba himself. This all leads to more clone war action, a few lightsbaer duels and a small subplot with Padme and Jabba's uncle, Ziro (if you want to see Truman Capote as a Hutt, here's your chance).

Ok, here it is! First off, Anakin should not be with a Padawan; Anakin having a Padawan contradicts his whole character in the "Star Wars" saga. The Jedi Council never did trust this guy, he's notoriously reckless and frankly, too psychologically fcked in the head to obtain a Padawan. This is a bad far-fetched idea. Furthermore, it also doesn't help that Ahsoka is annoying little girl, sounds like Hanna Montana and talks like a California mallchick! My next problem, Jabba's son! His son is a baby Hutt, a cutesy little slug that sounds like a wittle baby! Ahsoka, and later Anakin, nick-name him 'Stinky'...yes, STINKY...and that name is used far too many times for a "Star Wars" flick, I cringed each time. Ridiculously childish! No signs of Anakin's dark side, not even a hint, we see a lot of heroics but not enough conflict. With the exception of the Clone Battles, nothing mirrors the films. The music score is terrible, mostly due to the fact that it's not John Williams. You'd think they would try to at least mirror that. It's just not the same!

When I witnessed the high schoolish bickering of Ahsoka, and heard 'Stinky' for the tenth time, I couldn't help but to think of the great scene in the very first "Star Wars" where Obi-Wan (played wonderfully by Alec Guinness) says, "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice for the Old Republic." With a powerful scene like that (especially when it was awesomely used for the trailer of "Episode III"), a scene that for years we wondered about and raised questions of: that the Clone Wars was this awesome epic battle, responsible for the deaths of many Jedi, brutally, tragically and gloriously shown to us briefly in "Episode III"...and now we have to sit here and believe that The Clone Wars went down like this?? Girlie middle school banter? Cutesy baby slugs? "Stinky" and calling Anakin Skywalker, "Sky Guy"?? Let me just say it, it's PAINFUL TO WATCH.

Did I watch a "Star Wars" film or a sci-fi version of "All That?!" No, this is not "Star Wars"...f*ck this.

In small defense (most likely the reason I gave this an additional half of a voting star), I will say that it was (just barely) fun seeing another "Star Wars" film. The animation was pretty cool (flawed but cool), the sound effects are pure "Star Wars," it had some interesting elements; I like the Assajj Ventress character, and the battle scenes were pretty awesome. But frankly, it's a sad day for the world of "Star Wars" and I believe it's time for Lucas to pass the torch before it completely burns out, because I hate to say it, "Star Wars" is really starting to ruin!

If there's anything worse than being pissed, it's being hurt.

-UJ

Hi Guys
I am Ronek.I have seen the Star War episode. This is my favorite episode. I like the most role of Peter Cushing in this episode.Because peter is very comady chracter.I love Star War episode.

I love Star Wars just as much as the next guy, but I feel you gave the film a little too much credit. I also wrote a review of this and my co-critic and I both lamented at its elementary plot and direction. It sadly mirrors the awful prequels: Dim-witted characters (jedi), plots that no one care about, and TOO much action. It seems this movie, and the iterations like it, can't tell a story, so over-the-top cgi and polygons are hurled at you. The way they angled it to appeal to the children only made it worse. Obnoxious character additions, and obnoxious "dumbing-down" (for lack of a better term). As much as I adore this franchise, I can't continue to ignore its failings and utter disrespect for its grand predecessors.

A system of cells interlinked
Not sure who you are addressing, Eulian. You talking abut the first or second review in this thread?

Meanwhile, both reviewers pretty much slay this film, so I don't see too much credit being given anywhere.

Good points, nonetheless.

I agree with everyone else on this thread. This film was really disappointed and detracts from the rest of the Star Wars series.

The Movie is Rocking...........Star Wars fanatics Movie. The animation process that LucasFilm employs does take some getting adjusted to.................. Apparently inspired by maquettes based on the Genndy Tartakovsky micro-series.............

i don't like it that much

I also agree that George Lucas could have done without this animated film, and that it takes away from the other films.

I was not entirely disappointed with the film, although I was upset they changed the intro and had a announcer fill the audience on what was going on instead of the scrolling text through outer space :P.

But what I don't understand is why they gave Skywalker a padiwan, where they made notion in the films that he ever had one.

I have been watching the Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network and I do enjoy this, although it does take away a little of what Genndy Tartakovsky did with Star Wars. I am interested in it since they are going to have a episode that tells the background story of General Grevious.

Over all on a scale from 1-5: Id give the movie a 3, wasn't bad, nor was it good. Just another way for George Lucas to steal more of are hard earned money :P