Oscars 24 Best Picture DEI rules

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Hollywood was so liberal in it's views that right wing conservatives in the1950s like McCarthy and the House UN-American Activities Committee hearings went after numerous writers, directors, producers and actors to 'weed out' those Hollywood types who were of a liberal mind...
This again...

I know we have talked about this before at length on the boards, but I don't think you were in the thread. McCarthy (a senator) was not affiliated with the HOUSE Un-American Activities committee, and he had pretty much nothing to do with the Hollywood blacklists, which were before his time. This is one of the those revisionist myths that has propagated through the decades to the point that people end up conflating unrelated things to be the same event or concept and its just accepted as the truth. This is mostly due to the term McCarthyism being used as a widespread catch-all, even if his particular brand of well, McCarthyism didn't arrive on the scene until later and in a different capacity.

The HUAC started much earlier, and had quite different aims at its inception, focusing more on investigations of German and yes, also communist presence in the country, but at that point, wasn't centered around film or Hollywood at all.

The incarnation of the HUAC, also known as the McCormack–Dickstein Committee, that was focused on Hollywood came about in the late 30s and continued on through the next decade and into the 50s, which is when McCarthy got his engines revving with his Government Operations Committee and its Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the U.S. Senate. To my knowledge, he had no involvement with House activities or the Hollywood blacklists at all.

As I mentioned in the previous discussions, it is almost impossible to view the stuff that was going on back then through a post cold-war lens, as communism had a much more romanticized reputation, with neither the Chinese Cultural Revolution nor the Soviet Gulags having reared their ugly heads yet - in other words, the full and lasting effects of the system were as of yet unknown.

This is why, even as sort of a stanch anti-communist myself, I try to view these events though the lens of the times, as best I can. Most of these people were ignorant of the lasting damage support of this ideology would cause. They had no way of knowing.

Not that you asked

I’m sorry to have such a short response to a long thought out post, but you and Thief’s answer to the op was that this really isn’t forcing people to change their art. In fact Thief said just tetris together a couple of these initiatives with background folk and you are good to go. So how exactly does that change the problems you mention above, and how is this initiative not virtue signaling? Because it screams it to me.

For the record, I was on board when they introduced a more diverse voting body. I think that’s how you get the change in nominees we have seen the last few years. The art is being made.
Oh I thought it was evident I was being cynical with my initial post. Of course I don't expect these standards to change the behavior of anyone. My initial post was more directed to anyone who thinks these new standards would require them to change how they do things, when the truth is that I think very little change will be necessary. I would go as far as to say that you could take the "whitest" film you could think of from the last 30 years or so, and I'm sure it would still comply with these standards.

But, in terms of career opportunities to those minorities, then it might mean everything for a black gaffer, a Latino grip, or a Samoan script supervisor to have a BP nominee/winner on their resume, or to say they've worked with this-or-that renowned director.

On the OP...

As always, my issue with breaking stuff down into Marcusian intersectional groups, with the aim of balancing perceived imbalances through social manipulation and force (rules etc.), is that historically, it has taken an excessive amount of force to ensure everything gets balanced, and in many cases, ends up applying force in all the wrong directions to ensure balance. An inordinate amount of authoritative control must be exercised, and in most cases merit falls by the wayside, which ends up diluting whatever pool is being focused upon creating worse results.

This isn't taking into account that oftentimes, there may be a perfectly reasonable, non-discriminatory explanation as to why the imbalance exists in the first place, be it current population breakdown, interest in any given subject/art/career/sport/whatever due to demographic (why aren't there equal amounts of women coal miners/mechanics/plumbers etc.) or the fact that certain demographics, on average, make different choices and end up wanting to do different things. And on and on.

When the first reaction to any imbalance is "this must be due to discrimination and unfairness," the data gets corrupted, ignored, or altered in its interpretations, or in some instances, the definitions themselves get rewritten entirely to serve a preexisting narrative.

I think we may be too far down this track to slow the train at this point, so we just have to see where it finally comes off the rails.

This again...

I know we have talked about this before at length on the boards, but I don't think you were in the thread. McCarthy (a senator) was not affiliated with the HOUSE Un-American Activities committee, and he had pretty much nothing to do with the Hollywood blacklists, which were before his time. This is one of the those revisionist myths that has propagated through the decades to the point that people end up conflating unrelated things to be the same event or concept and its just accepted as the truth. This is mostly due to the term McCarthyism being used as a widespread catch-all, even if his particular brand of well, McCarthyism didn't arrive on the scene until later and in a different capacity.

The HUAC started much earlier, and had quite different aims at its inception, focusing more on investigations of German and yes, also communist presence in the country, but at that point, wasn't centered around film or Hollywood at all.

The incarnation of the HUAC, also known as the McCormack–Dickstein Committee, that was focused on Hollywood came about in the late 30s and continued on through the next decade and into the 50s, which is when McCarthy got his engines revving with his Government Operations Committee and its Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the U.S. Senate. To my knowledge, he had no involvement with House activities or the Hollywood blacklists at all.

As I mentioned in the previous discussions, it is almost impossible to view the stuff that was going on back then through a post cold-war lens, as communism had a much more romanticized reputation, with neither the Chinese Cultural Revolution nor the Soviet Gulags having reared their ugly heads yet - in other words, the full and lasting effects of the system were as of yet unknown.

This is why, even as sort of a stanch anti-communist myself, I try to view these events though the lens of the times, as best I can. Most of these people were ignorant of the lasting damage support of this ideology would cause. They had no way of knowing.

Not that you asked
Good & detailed post, thanks for that...and I agree too. I was using the catch phrase 'McCarthyism' along with 'blacklisting' to describe what happened in the late stages of the HUAC when they far out-stepped their reach and turned the procedures to harassing and purging Hollywood of alot of it's talent all because of intolerance. Anyway...my point is Hollywood is not run by MAGA's, it is run by largely progressive people, so that the idea that racism and discrimination is a real problem in Hollywood is nuts (not that you were saying that) but that's what I was saying to the board.

Not that you asked
You brought up some very pertinent points. I think some believe that it was the Federal government that instituted the Hollywood blacklist. But of course it was the Hollywood studios themselves who did so. HUAC, and later Sen. McCarthy were interested in weeding out communists from the Federal government. One could say it didn't work...

But re the Academy, in my view they should not restrict or dictate to their members any code or test. Their function was, and should be, simply recognition of good film making, acting, and production. If the public doesn't like a movie or a movie trend they won't support it. In other words it should be left to the open market.

The trick is not minding
I will let you have the last word after this because I don’t think this conversation is bearing any fruit. I will just end with saying that you used the term fist waving in two of your responses to me, which I don’t think I was doing. I have never said this is a nefarious plot, which you stated above. I said it’s virtue signaling, which you have said you aren’t arguing that it’s not. I don’t think virtue signaling is a productive means of change. Apparently you do, and you will get to find out in this case.
Sorry for the late response. Work and all that.

The fruit was born from the many quotes I posted from the actual arricle, which no one seems to be debating or acknowledging, or even attempting to refute those numbers and it’s accuracy or even bothering ponder whether the ends justify the means…perhaps?

People seem more intent on arguing over being forced (again, nothing new except it’s now applied to Hollywood productions) and throwing the word “virtue signal” as if it’s some counter argument.
I’m not holding my breath it has the effect they hope, but even if it provides just some opportunities, well….is it really a bad thing?

Also, the Senator McCarthy apologists here is eye opening
Who are the people apologizing for McCarthy?

For the record, I was simply recounting accurate history, which is well documented and widely available.

I guess this is somewhat related and not worth creating a whole new thread just to talk about it.

The theatrical releases that saw the highest median return on investment (ROI) in 2023 were those whose casts reflected racial representation proportionate to the real-world U.S. population, according to the latest Hollywood Diversity Report from UCLA.

Horror movies like M3GAN (14.0 ROI) and Saw X (7.5 ROI) were among the films whose casts were 41 to 50 percent BIPOC, the category with the highest median ROI (1.1). Conversely, the category with the lowest ROI (-0.25) was the least diverse (less than 11 percent BIPOC cast). According to U.S. census data, 43.6 percent of the country in 2023 was BIPOC.

Proportionately representative movies also earned a median of $114.2 million worldwide, the second highest median box office take behind only movies whose casts were 31 to 40 percent BIPOC ($119.8 million). That latter category included the billion-dollar Barbie ($1.4 billion, to be exact), which won the worldwide box office in 2023. The lowest-earning category was again the least diverse, with a median of just $18.2 million globally.

Women comprised the majority of moviegoers on the opening weekend of Barbie (69 percent) as well as two other movies in the top 10, The Little Mermaid (68 percent) and Elemental (54 percent). The latter two films also had majority BIPOC audiences, who overall drove opening weekend sales for seven of the top 10 and 14 of the top 20 highest-grossing movies of 2023. Every movie in the top 10 worldwide grosses had a cast that was at least 31 percent BIPOC, except Oppenheimer (11-20 percent), which had a majority white and majority male audience on opening weekend.

“After examining global and domestic box office success and audience demographics for more than a decade, we have repeatedly found that people want to see films that reflect the diversity that exists in their communities and in the world,” said report co-founder Ana-Christina Ramón, who directs UCLA’s Entertainment and Media Research Initiative, in a statement.

The report, now in its 11th year, also ranked the top theatrical releases according to specific audience shares on opening weekend. For example, the movie with the highest Black audience share was The Color Purple (69 percent), while Asians drove turnout for Joy Ride and Latinos for Insidious: The Red Door. The vast majority of people watching The Boys in the Boat were white (81 percent), Bottoms scored with the age 18-34 crowd (78 percent), Native turnout peaked for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (8 percent) and the most male audience-driven movie was a Finnish-American historical action thriller called Sisu (71 percent). Meanwhile, what movie had the most women in seats opening weekend? Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (79 percent), natch.

But film employment is not keeping pace with the diversifying audience. Women, BIPOC and disabled movie characters remained underrepresented compared to their real-world numbers, as were women and BIPOC directors and writers. Budgets of $100 million or more were given to 17 movies helmed by white men, 10 by BIPOC directors and just one by a white woman — Greta Gerwig, whose movie made the most money of them all.

READ MORE AB

Related NYT article - it's a good read

March 8, 2024
The national reckoning over racial justice after the killing of George Floyd spurred many of the country’s most distinguished institutions into action, few more so than the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

After years of criticism for overlooking female directors and actors of color, the academy announced a torrent of diversity-oriented changes. One high-profile move involved the academy’s most coveted trophy: To qualify for the best picture Oscar, films had to fulfill a new set of diversity and inclusion standards.

This new rule, enforced for the first time for this Sunday’s ceremony, is complicated and expansive.

A checklist of four categories and nine subcategories cover almost every aspect of the filmmaking pipeline. Diversity in hiring — actors, directors, makeup artists, publicists, interns — is considered. So is the movie’s plot. To qualify, films must show that they meet two of the four main categories of representation: onscreen (actors, plot), offscreen leadership (set designers, makeup artists), training programs and marketing.
Academy leaders light up like theater marquees when talking about the standards, calling them a success and pointing to a 2023 survey of members in which 85 percent of respondents said it was “important” for the organization to lead on representation, inclusion and equity.

But critics from an array of perspectives in the film industry have described the standards as the equivalent of tinsel — flimsy and showy — doing more to gild Hollywood’s image than to help people the movie business has long overlooked.

Executives at some of the major film companies, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to appear anti-inclusion, said that the diversity mandates have changed little about how they make movies, largely because the standards are so easily met.

The director Spike Lee, whose films often explore the country’s tortured history with racism, has said that while he thinks the academy’s “heart is in the right place,” the standards contain “a lot of loopholes.” Mr. Lee, who declined to comment further, has also said that nothing will change unless the studio gatekeepers who greenlight films come from more diverse backgrounds.
On the more conservative side of Hollywood — or what can seem conservative in such a deep blue enclave — the actor Richard Dreyfuss, who often jabs at his more liberal peers, has called the best picture rules “thoughtless,” “patronizing” and an impingement to artistic freedom. “They make me vomit,” he fumed.

By several measures, diversification has improved, and the Oscars this year look much more like America in 2024. Seven of the 20 acting nominees are from historically underrepresented groups. Lily Gladstone is the first Native American nominee for best actress for her role in “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Colman Domingo was nominated for best actor for his role playing the civil rights activist Bayard Rustin.

And the best picture category includes films with diverse casts, like “Barbie” and “American Fiction,” and stories, like “Past Lives,” about a fateful reunion between a Korean American woman and her childhood friend.

Then there is “Oppenheimer,” which received 13 nominations, and is widely seen by awards handicappers as the front-runner for the top Oscar. The film has profound themes and euphoric reviews — exactly the kind of work the academy often honors.

But because of its historical context, the cast is nearly all white. The biographical film, directed by Christopher Nolan, is set largely during World War II, when the military and most of American society was still segregated. Its plot — about the classified program to develop the atomic bomb — is centered on powerful and privileged men who work at the nation’s most elite academic institutions.
“Oppenheimer” still easily met the diversity requirements for Best Picture.

It cleared one standard for offscreen hiring because nearly a dozen women held senior positions on the crew, including costume designer, set designer, editor and head hairstylist. At least one senior role was filled by someone from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group: the head of makeup, Luisa Abel, who is Hispanic.

Even without those hiring decisions, “Oppenheimer” would have qualified. That is because its studio, Universal, has created in-house programs, in-career training and audience development that help satisfy the rules for almost every picture it makes.

Since 2021, Universal has operated an extensive crew training program for underrepresented individuals. The majority of Universal movies participate, and “Oppenheimer” was no exception.

Universal, more so than some other studios, also has a diverse marketing and distribution team, including Dwight Caines, the studio’s president of domestic marketing, who is Black. (All of his counterparts at other major studios are white.)

Proponents of the standards said they were never meant to be a panacea for Hollywood’s representation problems but a way to start a larger conversation about diversity.

“The standards are not difficult to meet; I will be the first person to say that,” said Jeanell English, who worked at the academy on its impact and inclusion efforts until last summer. “But what they are doing is starting critical conversations in this community about representation.”

Had they been too strict, Ms. English added, “You would have lost a lot of support and momentum.”

The academy has been under criticism for years, especially after the “Oscars So White” movement in 2015 and 2016, when voters put forward all-white acting nominees.

There was improvement afterward as the academy undertook a major expansion of its membership. But some critics charge that change has not come fast enough. A new study on the gender, race and ethnicity of directors by the University of Southern California’s Annenberg Inclusion Initiative dismissed pledges to diversify as “performative acts by the entertainment industry and not real steps toward fostering change.”
And some worry that the standards can blinker artistic vision and don’t want the academy meddling in creative decisions.

“Yes, indeed, there should be diversification,” said F. Murray Abraham, a best actor winner. “But I hope our search for it will expand rather than inhibit our creative instincts.”

As loose as the new rules appear to be, there are still issues of exclusion. More than 250 Hollywood insiders signed an open letter in January imploring the academy to revise its standards to include Jews.

“While we applaud the academy’s efforts to increase diverse and authentic storytelling, an inclusion effort that excludes Jews is both steeped in and misunderstands antisemitism,” said the letter, whose signatories included Mayim Bialik, Tiffany Haddish and Amy Schumer.

As Universal found, the academy’s requirements raised another issue: the possibility of lawsuits. Studios have broad First Amendment protections in making casting decisions as a matter of artistic freedom. But the studios, not the academy, would be on the hook for any liability if a white male successfully sued for, say, having been denied a crew job because of the standards.
Universal’s lawyers also cautioned that asking certain questions of employees — detailed ones necessary to complete the academy’s forms — was illegal. (“Are you gay?” “Do you have a mental impairment?”) To get around that hurdle, the studio decided to approach 20 senior marketing executives with a question: This is the diversity information the academy wants — would you feel comfortable voluntarily sharing it? About half responded yes.

Meredith Shea, the academy’s chief membership, impact and industry officer, said the inclusion standards were always intended to be more of a prod, less of an edict.

“The goal is not to exclude,” Ms. Shea said. “It’s not to tell people what stories to tell, how to tell them, who to hire or how to cast. We just want everyone to have the widest lens possible throughout the filmmaking process. Are you at least having discussions about bringing people in who have been historically shut out?”

Marc Tracy contributed reporting.