Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Running Scared (2006) - Wayne Kramer

- First of all I didn't expect nothing about this flick but it starts with a band and it end with a bang. Entertaining all way through with Gangsters, Mobs, Pimp and even pedophile. This flick is definitely one of the craziest flick ever made. Paul Walker is pretty good and Vera Farmiga is totally gorgeous. I LOVE the scene of the hockey ice (my favorite of the movie and one of the best I've ever seen in this kind of flick). The storyline is great and as a lot of awesome characters (which is great). Great recommendation Crick I definitely gonna buy it in blu-ray and it's a new favorite of mine.
-

Running Scared (2006) - Wayne Kramer

- First of all I didn't expect nothing about this flick but it starts with a band and it end with a bang. Entertaining all way through with Gangsters, Mobs, Pimp and even pedophile. This flick is definitely one of the craziest flick ever made. Paul Walker is pretty good and Vera Farmiga is totally gorgeous. I LOVE the scene of the hockey ice (my favorite of the movie and one of the best I've ever seen in this kind of flick). The storyline is great and as a lot of awesome characters (which is great). Great recommendation Crick I definitely gonna buy it in blu-ray and it's a new favorite of mine.
-
I knew you'd love it buddy!

Psycho Pass: Movie (2015)

The best part was the heavily accented Engrish. Still a pretty good movie, better than the 2nd season of the TV show but much weaker than the 1st season. Had some issues with the plot (it's pretty conventional at times) but it surprised me a little in the end.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Punch-Drunk Love - 6/10 - Decent acting, decent dialogue, decent story, and decent cinematography. Overall: decent.

Now I haven't seen many 2016 movies, but sadly Hail, Caesar is the worst one yet.

Hail, Caesar directed by Joel and Ethan Coen -
Hail, Caesar can be best described as follows, "wasted potential". You've got the Coen Brothers (not only directing but writing), George Clooney, Josh Brolin, Roger Deakins, boatloads of great talent. The premise of the film itself leaves so much room for good humor and character, and it's just wasted, on a disconnected story I didn't care about at any point during the film. About halfway through you start to realize that nothing matters, the story the film itself in no ways effects the characters or the universe it takes place in. Every person the story tries to make note of and garner your attention with just fails to bring any flourish to the sometimes hammy dialogue and poor scene pacing. In the end, all the jokes, all the ideas, and everything the movie had going for it, just flushes itself down the toilet because you just don't care, and it doesn't really matter. I'm being repetitive because I feel so compelled to stress that this isn't even an okay movie, it's a bad one. And if you're like myself, and had high hopes for it, I urge you to not waste your time. Go watch O Brother, Where Art Thou? again, it'd be more entertaining.

The Revenant - 2015

Finally caught it the other night. Looking like Leo is finally going get that Oscar. He was awesome per usual. Although he needs to do a straight up comedy after watching how intense this was. Hardy was great too. Well acted all around. Inarritu slayed his direction for the second straight film. The whole shooting with natural light did make a difference. It looked beautiful. Going into it I heard it was really gory and brutal to watch a points. I didn't find it that hard to watch, I mean there were times I turned away but nothing worse than say a Tarantino flick. I was completely sucked into the action and it was a bitch watching him go through his journey.

My problems with the flick come in two fold and they are just personal taste problems. To me his survival was over the top. If this wasn't a movie there is no way he survives some of the stuff he is put through. But whatever, it's a movie I'll believe these are survivable events. (they are not ha). Secondly, the movie is very compelling, but I think I would have rather seen the conflict between the Indians and white men and more in depth on Leo's wife/son relationship. The movie works fine as a revenge/survival tale, but to me, a tale of these men's survival from the Indians and the dynamic between the two groups would have been even more compelling. Could have made it a survival tale from that as well.

The problems are just personal taste. The movie is an entertaining and beautiful piece of film though. Most certainly worth a look and probably is pretty repeatable viewing.

3.3 out of 5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Nausicaa (1984)

The best animation, no the best movie ever made. To compare it to other movies is almost an insult: this is great art on a transcendental level. Even the rest of Miyazaki's work pales in comparison.

In a timeline, it goes like this:

431 BC: Parthenon

1504 AD: David

1824 AD: 9th Symphony

1884 AD: Starry Night

1984 AD: Nausicaa

Although, I still think that the manga is superior.

Guap, you forgot to include several Sexy Celebrity threads to your "Great Art" timeline.

The Terminator
The Boy... Nice movie but didn't like too much 7/10

Joe (2014)

In Secret (2013)

Nausicaa (1984)

The best animation, no the best movie ever made. To compare it to other movies is almost an insult: this is great art on a transcendental level. Even the rest of Miyazaki's work pales in comparison.

In a timeline, it goes like this:

431 BC: Parthenon

1504 AD: David

1824 AD: 9th Symphony

1884 AD: Starry Night

1984 AD: Nausicaa

Although, I still think that the manga is superior.
You forgot the Iliad and Bach's Mass in B Minor

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Brooklyn

This is my favorite film I've seen from 2015. And it's the most unlikely choice. This will be a passions classic years down the road. The score is excellent, the acting superb, and the direction is flawless. The story is a beautiful one too. Recommend it to anybody. I loved Larsen in the room but maybe Ronan deserves the Oscar. Will it stand the test of time? I'm not sure but on first viewing it was really quite captivating to me.

+

I have to return some videotapes...
Miller's Crossing (1990) - Joel and Ethan Coen

Really surprised by this, this film is a great love letter to all of the mob movies that come before it. Does it have problems? Sure, but it is still a really good movie. It's basically two hours of double crossing and intricately crafted story arcs all overlapping each other. It also stands out form the average mob story by adding fresh characters to the genre and introducing some comedy sprinkled through. At times, it can get a little ahead of itself and becomes a little too on the nose by trying to pay too much homage to classic cinema, but it is still nice. Marcia Harden gives a great performance that I haven't really seen from her before and she brought some intensity to the role. My problem is that Tom Reagan is very stiff in the film and he doesn't really fit to well in his character; its really noticeable in some scenes too. Another problem, is I don't really buy their relationship at all over the course of the movie. A minor spoiler:

WARNING: "" spoilers below
Didn't make much sense to me that she would stay with him for so long after all the ****** ways he treated her, even though in the end they stay together.

Turturro may be called annoying in this part, but I thought he fit it relatively well and he did go over the top a little at times, he still kept me pretty engaged. The ending didn't really satisfy all the build up, but I wouldn't say it left me disappointed either. Overall, it is a fun film with a lot of clever writing and great character interaction, but what holds me back from loving it is Reagan was so wrong for the role.

+

My laptop explodes, I go inactive for a while, and 50 new members join. Lol. Anyway...

Unfolded in that cloy way that Spielberg war thrillers do - asking you to buy into the over-sentimentality. Solid performances and a passable plot, but nothing really amazing about it. To be honest, I'm surprised it was nominated for an Oscar.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

The first 25 minutes was alright, Linda Blair was actually pretty cute and the concept of synchronized minds through hypnosis was intriguing... Kind of surprised Linda Blair agreed to this when Ellen Burstyn basically lit a torch, grabbed a pitchfork and chased the idea of her appearing in a "sequel" clear out of town. And it's clear she made the right decision, dabbling in African mysticism/christianity, POV shots of locusts in flight, stock footage of animals running on open savannah and at times hilarious set pieces this film never seems to find its footing. Oh well, turns out after 10 years I still don't care for it much, time to move on to the third in the series, which if I remember is at least worthy of being a sequel.

This might catch me some flack, but I finally watched Lawrence of Arabia (1962), but didn't really care for it storywise.

I'll be the first to say it's got stunning cinematography, a mesmerizing & beautiful musical score, it is epic in its sweep and the acting by some of the greatest stars ever is good.

BUT, the critics of those who call the movie boring say anyone who isn't engrossed for 4 hours, is not getting into the story.

My problem with the story is there are no sympathetic groups or characters.
It's basically the story of a man leading a people to freedom. But usually, those seeking freedom in a story put on film are depicted as sympathetic - not the case here.

To wit: the only sympathetic Arab is Lawrence's guide who is murdered at the well by Ali (Omar Sharif). Lawrence even calls Ali a murderer, but then ends up making Ali his chief ally. We never really understand why Lawrence loves the Arab people or the desert so much (since his introduction to them is having his only Arab friend murdered and then befriending the guy who murdered him.) Why is Lawrence so intent on fighting for people shown (in the movie) to engage in barbarism and pointless tribal violence? i.e. The protagonists are not sympathetic, nor are the British who are helping the Arabs against the Turks (but shown to be an Imperialist power only using the other parties to pursue their own interests).

Throughout the movie, the Arabs are portrayed as barbaric, unjust, violent, petty, brutal, merciless, thieving, calculating, disloyal - so it's hard to get behind the idea that Lawrence sees a nobility in them worth fighting for. (Again, his right-hand-man is the guy who murdered Lawrence's own guide & friend just for drinking at a well. And again, it might be easier to swallow that Lawrence is a loyal Brit utilizing these Arab pawns for his own government, but we're presented over & over with the idea that Lawrence is serving some far greater cause that supersedes patriotism.)

The characterization we're given is that Lawrence is an idealist with noble values, and he answers to higher callings than simply serving the interests of the British Empire. Yet it seems he devolves from noble values to adopt the barbarism of the Arab tribes.

Early on, he risks his own life & his mission to save a single lost man in the desert (amazing his cohorts at his no-man-left-behind philosophy), but later, summarily executes that same man without so much as a trial or letting the man give his side of the story. In later parts we see Lawrence almost going mad by adopting the blood-lust of the tribal barbarians he's sided with.

So the feeling was lost on me that we're supposed to be inspired by Lawrence or see him as a heroic Moses-type character trying to lead an oppressed people to freedom. In the film, the Arabs aren't presented as oppressed, just as murdering barbarians. Thus, I never got into rooting for anyone in the movie as no one seems worth rooting for.

Hopefully, someone will set me straight!