The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE)

Tools    

Appy-polly-loggies
Hey every one.. just wanted to see if any one else heard the rumor about The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE)... I heard it might be done by the famous director Peter Jackson... You know..He did that small Flick Lord Of the Rings.... ne ways I heard that if King Kong was successfull he would get the money needed to make his next movie!....

If he does do you guys think you would go and see it....or Mock it!??

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I hadn't heard about it.
I think part of the charm of the original is the corny 1950's-ness of it, but it also had a really good message. If they can update the sci in the sci-fi, it could find a new audience.

That might be interesting. I have the original in my collection and it's a classic to me like "War of the Worlds". I don't how they would do it now cause they would have to update it quite a bit, but I think if you had the RIGHT people working on it, it might be really good..

Someone needs their fill.
Wow, I've seen the origional and I thought it was really good. If Peter Jackson does it it'll be all the better. With the King Kong movie he's taking scenery from the old 30's film into the new one which I thought was fantastic.

I'd love to see it but I don't know how they'd make it contemporary. The original was about the cold war, communism/capitalism and "the bomb." And the insanity of blowing everything up over political ideology.

But today's big threat is terrorism. And radical fundamentalists don't give a damn what an alien and his robot have to say. You can't talk reason with the unreasonable. They'd almost have to work a religious angle in there somehow to address the problem of radical fundamentalism. Maybe show the radicals and everyone else the reality about God. Either existing or not existing.

It could be done but it would take a creative mind.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

My old question is- why?

The original was more than sucessful in making its points, why remake it now? Obviously the answer is money, but really, if the ONLY thing that can be added are new special effects- is it really worth it?

I don't understand why Hollywood keeps remaking GOOD movies. Remake the bad ones, the ones that stunk to begin with. It's your second chance to get them right. They already got the good ones right, so why not leave them alone?

Originally Posted by jillyrizzo
My old question is- why?

I don't understand why Hollywood keeps remaking GOOD movies.

Not to sound cruel , but Hollywood is about money, and by God Peter Jackson + Kong means $. I have not seen it yet, but it has to be at least worth a few dollars to see a remake that I loved to begin with.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Not to sound cruel , but Hollywood is about money, and by God Peter Jackson + Kong means $. I have not seen it yet, but it has to be at least worth a few dollars to see a remake that I loved to begin with.
The original King Kong is one of my favorite movies. Jackson didn't tarnish the legend one bit. I loved it.

The 76 Kong introduced the reciprocal relationship between Kong and the girl. That was a good move, it added interest to the story. But it did it in sort of a smarmy fashion. Jackson got it right. First, he hired Naomi Watts (brilliant) and she handles a situation that could very easily be cheesy (see the 76 version) in exactly the right way.

I agree with Twain,besides Kong is one of those movies that will be remade a dozen more times like Godzilla.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Reservoir Drought
With the King Kong movie he's taking scenery from the old 30's film into the new one which I thought was fantastic.
Now that sounds cool. I feel like I'm on the late show with this... but it still sounds cool to me. Did it blend well in the final cut?

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Now that sounds cool. I feel like I'm on the late show with this... but it still sounds cool to me. Did it blend well in the final cut?
Oh yeah.

Originally Posted by Twain
I'd love to see it but I don't know how they'd make it contemporary. The original was about the cold war, communism/capitalism and "the bomb." And the insanity of blowing everything up over political ideology.

But today's big threat is terrorism. And radical fundamentalists don't give a damn what an alien and his robot have to say. You can't talk reason with the unreasonable. They'd almost have to work a religious angle in there somehow to address the problem of radical fundamentalism. Maybe show the radicals and everyone else the reality about God. Either existing or not existing.

It could be done but it would take a creative mind.
I think one of the themes of the original was that the leaders of the world's greatest powers also didn't give a damn what an alien and his robot had to say. Klaatu had to shut off all of the world's electricity just to get the attention of the people who most needed to hear him. I don't know if that's any less relevant today.

I think that the present times make an exceptional canvas on which to work. You've got both world powers and tiny cells of extremists trying to make the rest of the world live the way that they think the ought. God, I *wish* Klaatu would shake some sense into us all. I also think that it's as likely as ever for a silver-jumpsuited-stranger wh olanded on the White House lawn to be shot first and asked questions later.

just laeve the movie alone there are way to many bad remakes out there as it is

There's treachery afoot!!!
Originally Posted by zombie ass kicker
just laeve the movie alone there are way to many bad remakes out there as it is
Agreed.

Do it. DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Conformist
Hey every one.. just wanted to see if any one else heard the rumor about The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE)... I heard it might be done by the famous director Peter Jackson... You know..He did that small Flick Lord Of the Rings.... ne ways I heard that if King Kong was successfull he would get the money needed to make his next movie!....

I actually watched the original for the first time recently. And yes I would definitely go see it if remade. That film is like 60 years old and needs a make over.

Scott Derrickson, director of Hell Raiser Inferno and Exorcism of Emily Rose has been chosen to direct this film. Give him a shot, really liked the depth of his first two.

Well, I've never paid to see remakes of King Kong--they could teach the monkey to do a song-and-dance act like the Monster in Young Frankenstein and it still wouldn't matter to me. So I don't plan to watch a remake of Day the Earth Stood Still--been there, seen that already.

What would interest me, however, is to have three contemporary directors make three versions of the same film simultaneously and independently--say, if John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock, and Raoul Walsh each have the same budget and the same amount of time to cast and film Some Like It Hot, each using basically the same technology then available, then I would be interested in seeing how the different directors cast the film and what changes they would make in the script. Would we get three different stories or three viewpoints of the same story? To me, that would more interesting than seeing a remake 50 years later when technology has changed, styles have changed, Hollywood's approach to financing and making movies has changed and we have a different caliber of actors, actresses, and directors.