Films you think I NEED to see before I start building my Top 100?

Tools    

IMO you should watch Lynch movies in the weirdest way you can think. Like, edit all his work (don't forget his shorts!) into a piece all scattered like. One long film! And then add some Katy Perry or Burzum to it and enjoy!

He might hate you for it, but so what!

He might hate you for it, but so what!
Are you kidding? Lynch would love that. If it was up to him, to watch his movies you'd have to watch a dvd titled only "Lynch" that plays random parts of his movie throughout.

@Luis
Try a sampler, one film each from the various critically acclaimed directors (past and present directors). Then try a film from each decade, better yet from each year. And try a film from each genre: surrealism, neo realism, slow cinema, docudrama, etc...and my favorite classic noir, along with other genres and styles.

If anybody wants to suggest some great 30's directors as long as they have at least five made in the 30's then go ahead and i'll add them.
You might try Michael Curtiz large volume of work in the 1930s and influential too.

@LuisYou might try Michael Curtiz large volume of work in the 1930s and influential too.
Good idea! I've seen three of his films, only Angels With Dirty Faces from his 30's stuff then The Sea Wold and Casablanca obviously. Seems like Casablanca was more of a studio thing than his own film similar to Victor Fleming and Gone With The Wind/Wizard of Oz. I added The Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, Dodge City and Under a Texas Moon.

I realized often went by the route what influence, what inspire, what essential to/top for [insert name] and it's not only applied for movie, for most of part it's just for my favorite and the name came often
Like this one

For essential sum of critic alike, there also this too great list, far superior than then imdb or any of those kind
http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

Well i still havent decided my top of anything tho'

Pro-tip: work your way up to Inland Empire. If you dig Blue Velvet, watch (some of) Twin Peaks and if you dig that, watch Mulholland Dr.

Only then watch Inland...
This.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

TSPDT is an average of the various lists made about films. It's definitely a good place to start but insanely hard to navigate since it's always like 1000 films.

Here's the Letterboxd list for the TSPDT 1000 and TSPDT 1000 of the 21st Century

You can use the dropdowns to sort them by popularity, release date or average rating or whatever.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
I have my movies I consider essential, but in this case, I would say, just watch a lot of movies and pick from them. A top 100 list is typically personal favorites, and everyone has different taste. Don't let what other people consider classic influence you.

It sounds like an awful lot of hard work.
Doing a Top 100 is, before you even get to wondering what you should have seen .

The more old films you've seen, the more your list is historic.

The more foriegn films you've seen, the more your list is diverse.

Bottom line is don't stick of USA films. Expand as much as possible.

I'm turning 25 next year, so that'll be when I do my first 100 greatest films list on this forum. I'm going to try and watch as much as I can within the next 9 months.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Friday the 13th 1-5 and 8, superbad, clerks, beverly hills cop, scott pilgrim vs the world. my favs

Luis , I think it s great to try and watch classics. Since you are a young adult, I am going to recommend some classics that are enduring (for me and many others) but not too harsh or graphically violent. And I ll mention a few comedies b/c we need to laugh as well as be caught up by drama
Here s a top ten I would recommend any intellectually curious and culturally adventurous person who was born in (or just at the start) of this century to explore:
1-To Kill A Mockingbird
2- Gone With the Wind
3- Witness
4- The Odd Couple
5-Tree of Life
6- Play Misty for Me
7- E.T.
8- any Indiana Jones movie
9- Fargo
10- Moonstruck.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/mrmin...serve-a-cookie
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In regards to pre-1975 movies (before directors like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas rose to fame), I recommend looking over these directors and going off from there:

Charles Chaplin - City Lights (1931), Modern Times (1936), The Great Dictator (1940)

Frank Capra - It Happened One Night (1934), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Victor Fleming - Captains Courageous (1937), Gone with the Wind (1939), The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Michael Curtiz - The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Casablanca (1942), White Christmas (1954)

John Ford - Stagecoach (1939), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), The Searchers (1956)

Orson Welles - Citizen Kane (1941), The Lady from Shanghai (1947), Touch of Evil (1958)

John Huston - The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), The African Queen (1951)

Otto Preminger - Laura (1944), The Man with the Golden Arm (1955), Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

William Wyler - The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Roman Holiday (1953), Ben-Hur (1959)

Billy Wilder - Sunset Boulevard (1950), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Apartment (1960)

Elia Kazan - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955)

Robert Wise - The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), West Side Story (1961), The Sound of Music (1965)

Fred Zinnemann - High Noon (1952), From Here to Eternity (1953), The Day of the Jackal (1973)

Alfred Hitchcock - Rear Window (1954), Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960)

John Sturges - Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), The Magnificent Seven (1960), The Great Escape (1963)

Sidney Lumet - 12 Angry Men (1957), Serpico (1973), Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

David Lean - The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Doctor Zhivago (1965)

Stanley Kubrick - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Mike Nichols - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), The Graduate (1967), Catch-22 (1970)

Franklin J. Schaffner - Planet of the Apes (1968), Patton (1970), Papillon (1973)

And of course, the Walt Disney Animation Studios movies.

This is an excellent list and a smart way of finding out about the must see classics, like Wizard of Oz (wanted to mention it) and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

If I can further indulge myself, and Luis, while borrowing the idea of following great directors from electro, I am going to suggest some must see s based on actors whose work is worth getting to know
Gene Hackman - Bonnie and Clyde
I never Sang For My Father

Robert Duvall - The Apostle

Julia Roberts - Steel Magnolias
Erin Brochovich

Sally Field - Murphy s Romance

Clint Eastwood- In the Line of Fire

Walter Mathau -plaza Siute
the taking of Pelham 123

Jack Lemmon - odd couple
- The China Syndrome

Jason Robards - a thousand clowns
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Harrison Ford - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan
6 Days 7 Nights
K 19

Paul Newman -The Sting
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Tom Cruise - Rainman
Top Gun

Audrey Heoburn and Cary Grant- Charade

Julie Andrews - The Sound of Music

And finally one of the most talented and versatile actors of his time:
Jack Nicholson -Five Easy Pieces A MUST SEE

You could see almost any movie by these stars , I ve left a few movies out., but I think this list is long enough as it is lol. Just be aware - there s good reason these talents became A-listers

Alright, I've refined my list to emphasize on what I believe to be the 10 most essential directors from Classical Hollywood (1920s-1960s):

Charles Chaplin - The Kid (1921), Modern Times (1936), The Great Dictator (1940)

Frank Capra - It Happened One Night (1934), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Orson Welles - Citizen Kane (1941), The Lady from Shanghai (1947), Touch of Evil (1958)

John Huston - The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), The African Queen (1951)

William Wyler - The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Roman Holiday (1953), Ben-Hur (1959)

Billy Wilder - Sunset Boulevard (1950), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Apartment (1960)

Elia Kazan - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955)

Alfred Hitchcock - Rear Window (1954), Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960)

Stanley Kubrick - Paths of Glory (1957), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

David Lean - The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Doctor Zhivago (1965)