Movie Tab II

Tools    

Blood Diamond (2006 - Edward Zwick)

Hmmm.... I don't know.... I wasn't that impressed really....

I don't know…. I really liked Blood Diamond… thought it was a gustsy in your face movie that tried to bring to light a few issues that some people might not be aware of...

In America, it's bling bling. But out here it's bling bang. ~ Archer (Blood Diamond)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked

I am having a nervous breakdance
I don't know…. I really liked Blood Diamond… thought it was a gustsy in your face movie that tried to bring to light a few issues that some people might not be aware of...

In America, it's bling bling. But out here it's bling bang. ~ Archer (Blood Diamond)
Yes, the theme is great, there's a need or this movie. I just thought it was a bit too much Hollywood..... sentimental speeches and predictable, sort of. I just think it wasn't as good as I perhaps had expected it to be.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It was alright. I think my lack of enthusiasm was in part due to the fact that I've seen a BBC documentary about the war in Sierra Leone and the child-soldiers, and it seemed like BD told that exact same story...the ending was over-the-top sentimental, it might have been better not to have the classical "bad-guy turns good guy because we're all basically good on the inside" cliche...:-/

Saw Sunshine again yesterday and loved it, again. Gorgeous.

Saw The Saragossa Manuscript today and it didn't click on the first viewing. I didn't hate it though, it was pretty interesting. I'll probably go back to it eventually.

Just re-watched Once Upon a Time in China 2. Nowhere near as good as the first, which has a better story and better acting. Aunt 13 has a more integral part in the first too. Here she has one scene photographing a procession on a crowded street and starting a riot. The rest of the movie she's basically reduced to a love interest and Foon is just comic relief. Not a bad movie but far from great.

Funny, i preferred Once Upon a Time in China 2 to [/i]1[/i], saw the two a year a part almost (still not popped 3 in the player yet) but thought the choreography, characters and handling was more effective in this one. I'm not a massive fan of the director (name's annoyingly slipped me) wirework though.

You ready? You look ready.
Sunshine- For the second time, still amazing.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Funny, i preferred Once Upon a Time in China 2 to [/i]1[/i], saw the two a year a part almost (still not popped 3 in the player yet) but thought the choreography, characters and handling was more effective in this one.
The choreography (or maybe just the editing) is cleaner in 2. It seems there are less obvious slip ups (where sound fx don't line up quite right or there are obvious discontinuities within a fight) but they're still there. That's something I think you either learn to cope with in Hong Kong cinema or you don't.

Can't agree with the rest of your assessment though, and feel like I should defend Part 1, which is one of my favorite movies. The bad guys are maybe a little less stereotyped than in the first movie but they're still pretty flat as characters. The romantic angle is played up even more strongly in this one but all the good parts are pale throwbacks (that shadow dance!) that become predictable the second time around. Yuen Biao, who played Leung Foon in the first movie, apparently left because they cut out a lot of his scenes; in response, it seems Tsui cast a much weaker actor and completely eviscerated the role so now all of the tension in his relationship with Wong becomes petty bickering over who gets to impress the girl.

I probably sound like I liked it less than I actually do. I think it's a decent martial arts flick with better than average acting, choreography, and story. It's just got none of the originality of the first movie. It's also quite lovely to look at, but somehow Tsui Hark didn't come up with any images as striking as these ones from the first movie: the bicycles in the rain scene with Foon and Aunt 13, the scene where Aunt 13's shadow caresses Wong's, Aunt 13 stopping to get a last photograph of Po Chi Lam as it burns, and the fight at the theater. Part 2 does have that opening scene with Wong Looking out the window of his train but that was about it, just everything else in this one I found pretty but not especially moving. Also, I said before that the villains in part one are generally pretty one-dimensional (this is especially true of the greedy westerners). There is one very strong exception with the character of Yim, Leung Foon's jaded, ambitious master. I especially liked the bit where Foon steals left-overs for Yim after witnessing his fight in the rain, in front of the bonfire. Maybe I'm just corny but I found that scene pretty touching.

I'm not a massive fan of the director (name's annoyingly slipped me) wirework though.
are you talking about Tsui Hark, the director of the movie, or Yuen Woo Ping, the action director? If you're just sick of wire-work but like ambitious martial arts choreography, you might check out Tsui Hark's later film, The Blade. It seems to be pretty divisive among martial arts fans that I know but it's a pretty interesting and dark swordplay flick that has some very over the top action scenes, that were supposedly done without the use of wires.

Yeh Lines, Tsui Hark was the name i was thinking, might watch The Blade then. Maybe it was were i saw the two so far apart, i found the first disappointing, though second viewing might wield more enjoyment, and in turn the Part 2, if i remember, had more fighting and less of those moments you mentioned, which i found (and i'm sure this isn't the intention just what i tihnk when watching) pretentious.

I thought this would happen, Sunshine is definitely this years Children of Men. Release over here to not much fanfare but acclaim, then it arrives over your end and everyone here loves it to bits lol.

A system of cells interlinked
Huo Yuan Jia (Yu, 2006) - Some great kung fu, but, a missed opportunity overall. I liked the first two acts, but then it swerves off the road into randomville. So, ya, some good kung-fu in it....

300 (2006) ~ 4 ½/5
Hot Fuzz (2007) ~ 4/5
The Godfather (1972) ~ 5/5
The Godfather II (1974) ~ 5/5
Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) ~ 3/5

Pathfinder (2007) ~ still trying to decide how to rate this one….

Piddy… I'm going to try to re-watch Blood Diamond this week and get back with you on it…

Yeh Lines, Tsui Hark was the name i was thinking, might watch The Blade then. Maybe it was were i saw the two so far apart, i found the first disappointing, though second viewing might wield more enjoyment, and in turn the Part 2, if i remember, had more fighting and less of those moments you mentioned, which i found (and i'm sure this isn't the intention just what i tihnk when watching) pretentious.
Fair enough, if you found it pretentious I guess there's no arguing with that (except to say that I didnt). I do recomend giving it another try though. The first time I tried watching it, I gave up after half an hour, but the second I fell in love. Any complaints you have about those scenes may apply to The Blade, though I still recomend that as well. Read my review of it HERE.

Huo Yuan Jia (Yu, 2006) - Some great kung fu, but, a missed opportunity overall.
What did you find missing? I didn't love Jet Li's Fearless either, but I haven't really given it much thought till now. I think it was more subdued than I was expecting, which isn't necesarily a bad thing. Also wonder how old Jet Li must be by now. I thought he did a pretty good job playing a young guy, for such an old guy.