Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I enjoy Grease, but it is the last movie in the world I would be surprised over someone disliking. Like, it's an aggressively dopey movie, with such a goofy tone that (if one isn't on its wavelength) it could quickly veer off into irritating territory.

I enjoy Grease, but it is the last movie in the world I would be surprised over someone disliking. Like, it's an aggressively dopey movie, with such a goofy tone that (if one isn't on its wavelength) it could quickly veer off into irritating territory.
Right. And on the flip side, despite being pretty lukewarm on it, I can totally see why some people LOVE it.

It's not so much "I don't get it!" as it is "Yeah, I get it. Not for me, thanks."

SHADOWS
(1959, Cassavetes)

"I thought being with you would be so important - would mean so much. That afterwards two people would be as close as it's possible to get. But, instead, we're just two strangers."

Set in New York City, Shadows follows the lives of three black siblings: struggling jazz musicians Ben and Hugh, and their light-skinned, younger sister Lelia, and their relationships with several other characters. The focus of the story falls mostly on Lelia (Lelia Goldoni), who starts a relationship with Tony (Anthony Ray). But things get complicated when he meets her brothers and finds out she's black.

Shadows is an interesting experiment. Filmed in 1957, released in 1958, and reworked in 1959, it went through a metamorphosis of sorts. The film was devised and promoted as a mostly improvisational work, which might've resulted in the poor reception it had on its first release. Cassavetes then went back to the drawing board to rework the film. This tinkering is probably the source of my main issue, which has to do with the rather loose narrative.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Victim of The Night
You know what, I will meet you halfway.

It's the best movie I've ever seen where a 30-year-old high schooler learned the importance of getting a perm and taking up smoking so that a boy will like you.

Victim of The Night
That's what makes it great. It's unapologetically upbeat and all in.

The Last Picture Show - (1971)

This film really took me back and reminded me of what life (and sex) was like during those 'just graduating high school' days - it was so relatable and as a coming of age drama The Last Picture Show is grounded but fun. There's a lot of emotional grist to this, with the close relationships typical to a small town playing a role in shaking up everyone whenever something with a lot of gravity happens. That might be a death, a break-up or someone leaving. Jeff Bridges went from television to being an Oscar-nominated actor in a major film, and never looked back. I really enjoyed watching him in Bad Company, which came out soon after this. The black and white cinematography, with it's soft dream-like glow, really works well for this. Glad to have finally seen it.

8/10
This is one of my favorite films. It still holds up today. I saw this film in London while the band I was in was on tour from the States. It made me so homesick that I wanted to get on a plane and go back home! And I'll be forever grateful to Orson Welles for telling Bogdanovich that he must shoot the film in black and white.

DRIVING MISS DAISY
(1989, Beresford)

Daisy: "Hoke?"
Hoke: "Yes'm."
Daisy: "You're my best friend."
Hoke: "No, go on Miss Daisy."
Daisy: "No, really, you are... You are."

Set in 1948, Driving Miss Daisy follows Daisy (Jessica Tandy), a widowed and retired schoolteacher that is forced by her son to take a chauffeur (Morgan Freeman) after a small car accident. Despite her initial reluctance and bigotry against Hoke, we see how their relationship grows and evolves through the course of 20 years.

My friend @ApexPredator said it best when he told me that it worked "best as a character study of two people who are missing something and find a connection that leads to friendship ... As a civil rights film, it's less effective.", and I like how accurate that is. Thankfully, the film has Tandy and Freeman to make that connection feel like something somewhat believable and pleasant, despite the shortcomings of the script.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

The Queen of Spades, 1949

Herman (Anton Walbrook) is a military officer who is always hesitant to play cards for fear of losing his money. He reads in a book about an elderly countess (Edith Evans) who traded her soul for the ability to win at cards. Determined to learn her secret, Herman sets about seducing her ward, Lizaveta (Yvonne Mitchell), so that he can have access to the countess's home. One of Herman's comrades, Andrei (Ronald Howard), realizes he doesn't intend to actually be with Lizaveta and tries to stop what's happening. But Herman is determined to learn the secret at any cost.

It's been years since a friend first recommended this film, and I was delighted to see it pop up on one of my services. This is a visually rich twist on the old devil's bargain/monkey paw situation.

Herman makes for a fascinating anti-hero. He's the kind of man who believes that he is essentially owed greatness and wealth by the world and carries around a sort of exasperation at not having been handed the things he wants. He is so certain that it is right and correct for him to have the information he needs that he never stops to question the unethical, hurtful things he does to get it.

I also really enjoyed the character of the countess. Here you have a woman who has supposedly been enmeshed in a devil's bargain for decades. At times she seems lost in time and place, greeting people only to realize that she actually knew their grandfather or great aunt. She is also deeply paranoid, disliking it if anyone comes up behind her. But is she actually the woman from the legend, or is she merely an elderly woman with a normal fear of death and the unknown?

Outside of the story itself, the visuals in this film are great. I couldn't find a still of it, but there's a moment when Herman approaches Lizaveta and though she's looking in a mirror, it's his face that fills the glass. The movie utilizes angles and close-ups to put us into the point of view of the different characters. I especially liked a scene--imagined from the book about people who lost their souls--in which the forfeited souls are portrayed as tiny figures under bell jars. It's very reminiscent of a similar scene from Bride of Frankenstein.

The curse/bargain itself is kept vague, and I think that this was a great choice. It keeps the film from getting bogged down in a question of how the "rules" work. It also means that we do not know exactly the price that the countess has paid for her gift at cards. When Herman tells her that he would gladly assume the price of her gift, he does not even know what he is agreeing to.

The film is mostly taken up with Herman's scheming. His plans finally start to gel in the last act, and the movie ends with a very memorable finale. While the overall arc of the film might be predictable, it's all tied up (sort of . . . ) in a very satisfying way.

Good stuff!

That's what makes it great. It's unapologetically upbeat and all in.
Now this I agree with.

It's like, hey ladies,
WARNING: spoilers below
go ahead and have unprotected sex! Sure, you'll be worried for a week or two that you're pregnant. But then it will just turn out you aren't! YAY!

I'm not a huge Grease fan, but the high point is clearly Hopelessly Devoted to You. *sigh*

EDIT: I somehow didn't get around to seeing it until sometime in the past 20 years. But thanks to a neighborhood girl who owned the LP, I had the soundtrack memorized as a kid.
Facts.

Complaining about the age of the high school students and/or the "messages" of Grease is like complaining about the wires in Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. I can see them just like you can, but where you see a weakness, I see a homespun charm.

I guess Grease works for me in a similar way. Sure, there are flaws. But I'm willing to overlook them for the fun parts and nostalgia.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Grease, 1978

Australian transplant Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) has a summer fling with a guy named Danny (John Travolta). But when the school year begins, and the two learn they attend the same high school, Sandy is shocked to find that Danny hangs out with a greaser crowd and feels the need to keep up a tough guy persona. As the school year goes on, complete with dance contests and drag races, it's unclear whether good girl Sandy and bad boy Danny can make it as a couple.

A few years ago, my local high school put on a production of Grease that I took my young students to see. At the time, I was like "Yikes!", because it wasn't the best. Now, years later, I owe those high schoolers an apology. They weren't the problem. Grease is the problem.

I will grant the film that at times its particular energy and the musical numbers intersect really well. "Beauty School Drop Out" is really funny. "You're the One That I Want" is really catchy. "Together Forever" is a fun, energetic closing number. It's also a film whose cast is clearly talented as performers. Newton-John and Travolta go all-in on their song and dance numbers. Stockard Channing, DiDi Conn, and Jeff Conaway are really solid and funny in their supporting roles.

I also enjoyed the set design and costumes, which really reflect the 70s looking back at the 50s. The colors pop, the dresses flow.

But while there are several strong elements to this film, the story is a bust. There are various plot lines---romantic dramas, Conn's character dropping out of school, a pregnancy scare, rivalry with another group of greasers---but I felt apathetic to just about all of it. A moment here or there makes an impact. Danny wanting to drop his tough guy act, only to chicken out and play the role despite knowing he's pushing Sandy away. Or Channing's barely concealed fear and vulnerability over an unexpected pregnancy. But for the most part I struggled to care about any of it, and the movie doesn't spend enough time on any of the subplots to really develop the conflicts or their impacts on the kids.

And the kids. The "kids". There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's people old enough to HAVE high school aged children playing teenagers. While this is obviously a really common practice in movies and TV, these actors and actresses really really look like they are in their 20s/30s. It kept jumping out at me through the whole runtime, despite the film's goofy tone and the fact that it's obviously not going for realism.

Fine, but not one I'd be eager to revisit.

It's a shame that you didn't like Grease more. I'll agree that it has some issues with the story, and especially the ages of the actors, but overall it's a lot of fun, it has some great songs, and it's a musical that I've seen many, many times. I think the good stuff far outweighs the minor issues.

Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

Men (2022)

I forgot the opening line.

By NEON - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71522525

Triangle of Sadness - (2022)

Been looking forward to this film from Ruben Östlund and it really didn't let me down - there's been some great new films coming out these days and I'm happy about that - but this is something special. After Force Majeure and The Square I thought there might have been a let-down, but Triangle of Sadness is one of the best films I've ever seen about the rich - a perfect allegory for what's going on these days, and the insane attitudes of those who are wealthy. It has some truly knockout scenes, and some of the most inanely awful characters you're ever likely to come across. Around two-thirds take place on a yacht where the crew and servants have been instructed to say yes to absolutely anything the guests ask of them - which leads to all kind of lunacy. This film really deserved it's Palme d'Or, and is a film that illustrates our time in a really meaningful way. I don't like to give much away for those who are going to see the film - especially when it's this good. Highly recommended.

9/10

Latest Review : Mona Lisa (1986)

Victim of The Night
Now this I agree with.

It's like, hey ladies,
WARNING: spoilers below
go ahead and have unprotected sex! Sure, you'll be worried for a week or two that you're pregnant. But then it will just turn out you aren't! YAY!

You are a big meanie.

A system of cells interlinked
@Wooley

If you want your reviews tagged for the system, please drop a popcorn rating into the posts.

Thanks!

Victim of The Night
@Wooley

If you want your reviews tagged for the system, please drop a popcorn rating into the posts.

Thanks!
Shit, I forgot!

It's a shame that you didn't like Grease more. I'll agree that it has some issues with the story, and especially the ages of the actors, but overall it's a lot of fun, it has some great songs, and it's a musical that I've seen many, many times. I think the good stuff far outweighs the minor issues.
The ages of the actors things was a more minor complaint.

Really I felt like the story was thin and so were the characters. There were a lot of parts that I could tell were supposed to be a lot of fun (like the long montage of Danny doing the different PE events) that just didn't engage me.

It didn't work its magic on me, and so all those little nitpicks just started rearing their heads.

The Queen of Spades, 1949

Herman (Anton Walbrook) is a military officer who is always hesitant to play cards for fear of losing his money. He reads in a book about an elderly countess (Edith Evans) who traded her soul for the ability to win at cards. Determined to learn her secret, Herman sets about seducing her ward, Lizaveta (Yvonne Mitchell), so that he can have access to the countess's home. One of Herman's comrades, Andrei (Ronald Howard), realizes he doesn't intend to actually be with Lizaveta and tries to stop what's happening. But Herman is determined to learn the secret at any cost.
This was beautifully filmed. A gorgeous black and white movie. I was really looking for something from the 40's that I hadn't seen and was good. Thanks for the recommendation, Takoma.

Snapshot (aka The Day After Halloween), 1979

Angela (Sigrid Thornton) is a young woman who works as a hairdresser, and finds herself chafing under the constant criticism of her overbearing mother and supposedly perfect little sister. One day a client at Angela's saloon, Madeline (Chantal Contouri), poaches Angela away to come and do some modeling for a friend of hers, Linsey (Hugh Keays-Byrne). After reluctantly agreeing to do a topless shoot, Angela finds herself the object of a lot of attention, most of it unwelcome. And things get worse as her much-older boyfriend, Daryl (Vincent Gil) steps up his campaign of stalking and harassment.
I enjoyed this movie. It was exactly the kind of 70's cheese I was looking for. The ending was wild. I don't know if Madeline is saving Angela or she is just another dangerous person.