The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm disappointed The Fog of War was so low down the list. I had it as my number one. I thought it was a completely absorbing portrait of an influential man, a quiet piece of film making that revealed so much more than expected. Well recommended if you've not seen it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Five for me so far.

2. Salesman #80
4. Little Dieter Needs To Fly #71
5. Roger & Me #66
9. Burden of Dreams #75
25. Brother's Keeper #78

I'm hoping that at least one more makes it.

#fingerscrossedforpippa

They made a doc about her arse?

Two I've not seen here, but I'd really like to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams. I think it was the first film I ever wanted to see in 3D, too. But, unfortunately, I don't think it was anywhere near me when it was released.

[quote=christine;1450007]I'm disappointed The Fog of War was so low down the list./quote]
Yeah, like I said I'm pretty sure that if more had watched it it would have been much higher.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I had Close-Up at #3. Capturing the Friedmans is very good, and if you want to see Jarecki's best work I believe that's the miniseries The Jinx - just don't read anything about it beforehand.

I always forget Close Up is a Documentary, still haven't watched it yet. Capturing The Friedmans is probably very good but i must say it sounds very unpleasant. Will watch both at some point.

Finally a set I've seen both on.

I wouldn't consider Close-up a documentary, if I would have it probably would've been my number 1. I knew it was eligible, but don't really think it should be. I watched Capturing the Friedman's in preparation for the list, and it's pretty solid. I definitely would take the side of the family.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Capturing The Friedmans is one of those strange crime documentaries that we used to say could only be written for and happen in the movies, but now they almost seem to be the norm. It can certainly be debated what in hell really happened and why. I found a short write-up I did earlier on Close-Up here.
Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990)

I watched this film because it was in Harry Lime's Top 100. It tells the bizarre true-life story of Ali Sabzian, a poor Irani, who poses as prize-winning writer/director Mohsen Makhmalbaf to "infiltrate" the home and family of a Tehran businessman and basically attempt to make a movie. Although he's found out rather quickly and charged with petty fraud, Makhmalbaf's fellow director Abbas Kiarostami makes a film of the entire episode, recreating scenes and filming Sabzian's actual trial. What it all adds up to is an interesting look at the Irani justice system and a portrait of a poor man who loves art so much that he'll do anything to try to give to others what films have given to him.

This film has been acclaimed from around the world, and its simple artistry allows the "character"'s humanity to shine through. It does make you think about what constitutes reality, not only in life but in movies. I especially liked the way the trial proceeded in that it was much more informal than our trials. Here the accused sits directly in front of the plaintiffs. I don't know if that was standard practice in Iran or if it's used as a cinematic gimmick, but it works well. In fact, although much of the film works well, the jagged nature of the storytelling and the recreations of what allegedly happened tend to diffuse the power of Close-Up for me. I realize that this isn't that much different than many of the most-honored documentaries of the last decade, but I'm still left here wondering if I'm watching a documentary or somebody taking advantage of a situation to make a "unique" movie in a unique manner. I would recommend Close-Up to everyone here who believes that it will appeal to them based on this write-up. On the other hand, if this doesn't seem like your cup of tea, you're probably correct, but it is an entryway into the interesting world of Iranian film and probably should be seen just for being so unusual.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Capturing The Friedmans was my #1 pick.

Granted, I could have picked any of my top 5 as a favourite but Jarecki's film has stuck with me for over a decade now. It works both as a film about the hysteria the particular crime detailed can create, and as a portrait of an eccentric middle class Jewish family who seemed determined to capture as much of their lives as possible on camera, decades before smartphones made it the norm.

I think it's an astonishing work.

A set I have seen both of. Friedman's was on my list. A well done and disturbing doc.

I love Kiarastomi but Close-Up is my least favorite so far of his films.

A miniseries should be taken as a whole, not judged episode to episode.
This is true, but I just can't say I was impressed. I liked it, but not to the extent of its reputation.