The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I'm thinking probably Grand Budapest to get it over with.
LOL

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Withnail & I

AKA: The Belligerent Witticisms of the Perpetually Pissed

With A Day in the Life story line we visit two unemployed actors who are deathly afraid of the stark possibility that, at any given moment, they may become sober. With this looming normality hanging over them like the symbolic albatross - they search out the next bottle.
Therein lies the adventure.
In a similar vein as Romper Stomper which makes NO apologies or designs to formulate some parable in their portrayal of violence, Withnail & I mirrors it in the fact that their inebriation merely is what it is and nothing more. No tragedy, no inner pain that is numbed by intoxication; they are drunk and adamantly wish to remain so.
With that freedom this story is permitted to wander in blissful squalor from one misadventure to the next.
Filled with great and snarky dialogue that meanders like only the truly high can, Withnail & I is for anyone who lives life without a net and applauds excess.

The Grand Budpest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/12/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th HOF, edarsenal's nomination
Rewatch: No

This is the sixth Wes Anderson film that I have seen and the third that I've been obligated to watch for a MoFo Hall of Fame. (Can y'all do me a favor and stop nominating his crap, please?)

Once again, I like the the look of the film. Wes Anderson has a keen eye for color and camera angles. His films virtually pop off the screen. And were that enough to make me actually like a movie, I might be a fan. But it isn't. Yet again, I didn't buy his characters. They don't act or speak like real people (yes, I know he's not trying to make them seem real, but damn it, that doesn't mean I have to like it) - though Gustave seemed far more believably human than most Anderson creations. So I do give some credit for that but he's still not human enough for me to care what happened to him. I also don't find Anderson's particular brand of quirk at all amusing and this was no exception. As with the other five Anderson films I've seen - The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rushmore, and Moonrise Kingdom - I spent most the movie with a completely straight face. That is, when I wasn't muttering "This sucks" or checking to see how much longer it would be until the end.

-

Yeah, no. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hated it. It didn't piss me off. I wasn't yelling obscenities at the screen. I just really didn't like it.

The Man From Nowhere

Firstly, i had a copy of this which was horribly dubbed i didn't realize it was until i tried to watch it. I actually watched the first ten minutes of it because it was hilarious hearing these American-dude voices badly dubbed over the actors was kind of brilliant . It was fine though i already knew where else to watch it.

Man this was great. Action movies are more miss than hit for me these days but i thought the story and performances were really well done. The interactions between Cha and So-Mi in particular, he was a bit of a moody emo type at first but i did buy into him genuinely caring for her despite them only having a few scenes together. The kid was adorable and really funny i loved her "Pawnshop Ghost and Garbage sounds like a good rock band" line. Their relationship wasn't exactly original i mean troubled kid grows attached to loner who turns out to be superhuman sounds like Leon: The Professional (just want to point out that he even had a cactus that meant alot to him like Leon and his flower) with obvious differences, but i honestly felt like their relationship was more believable than Leon and whatever Portmans characters name was even though they were together for a fraction of the time they were; the last scene before she is kidnapped with her "you are more mean but i don't hate you for it because then there would be no one that i like" line broke my heart. I think this is what sets this apart from alot of other Action Movies i don't care for when i watch them now i genuinely cared about the characters. That first half an hour did a much better job of getting me interested in the upcoming action than similar films like say Taken where the acting and dialogue is terrible so i don't really care what is going on. One thing i didn't think was necessary though was his wife being pregnant when she died, it wasn't bad but it was so obvious when you saw the first brief glimpse of her in what was clearly a hospital and also i really don't think they needed this to make Cha and So-Mi's relationship more meaningful. I'd have liked it more if it was from his simple interactions with her. Again though it wasn't a bad thing because it did explain why he was so distant and seemingly empty, would have preferred some other explanation though personally. The scene where they reunited was so beautiful and i actually really liked the twist even though i saw it coming. Ramworan had gave off a sympathetic vibe from his scenes with So-Mi which i thought was well done.

The villains were well developed as well (as a side note i'm terrible at remembering Korean names so i'm using wiki and i might get some of them mixed up); they really did feel like a sinister organization little things like the Oh Myung-gyu brutally slapping basically demeaning Man-Seok who'll later take over the organization himself and will be shown as callously brutal with the axe scene or even showing the lower down guys like Jong-Seoks wealth with the hottub he had gave off the impression of great power and that coupled with their brutality made this helpless young girl in their possession a drastic situation. The organ harvesting angle was also an interesting angle i wasn't expecting; makes it all the more horrifying. Jong Seok was a great villain. He was so campy and crazy loved his voice and facial expressions, he really came across menacing. Him and his brothers relationship was great i think it is a common one seen in movie or tv show villains; the psychotic one and his laidback but equally brutal partner but it was fun to watch anyway. Big Bear or whatever he was called was the man i wish he wasn't killed so soon i mean i understand that he served his purpose and more of him would've became repetitive but god that first fight where the guy runs out of nowhere at him and he picks him up and throws him through the window got one of the biggest laughs of the film from me. The police were great too, they were pretty clueless and funny. Detective Kim was probably my second favourite character after Cha actually. He didn't really even do anything he just somehow managed to be the coolest character in a film full of cool characters.

Anyway sorry for rambling i've barely even mentioned the action mostly because i'm not good at explaining what i liked about it.I thought it was a great idea not to show Cha Tae-sik fight until an hour in, even though when they finally did it was short and against nobodies it was still very effective with it being intercut with the cops reading his background for the first time. His brutality towards Jong-Saek when he found out what was happening to the children was amazing and so was the final wrist-slitting fight, the fight with Ramworan who was the only one that could actually fight him was a bit of a letdown though. The music was another thing that was excellent did a great job of building the tension and excitement.

Anyway great nom Royale . Not sure if it will hold up because action films rarely do
with me but i liked this alot. Barbara next for me.

I was the first to post about Withnail and I, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Never Let Me Go and The Man From Nowhere . That never happens usually after i post my write-up i read the ones that have already been done and get really annoyed because i said basically the same stuff haha.

Once again, I like the the look of the film. Wes Anderson has a keen eye for color and camera angles. His films virtually pop off the screen. And were that enough to make me actually like a movie, I might be a fan. But it isn't.
I find the exact same thing with his films. They're very pretty, but also very boring due to the completely unengaging characters.

I don't know when I'll get around to trying to rewatch Grand Budapest Hotel. When I tried to watch it before, I don't think I made it very far. I had to turn it off after Ralph Fiennes punched some guy. But I've since managed to sit through Moonrise Kingdom, and didn't absolutely hate it, so maybe I won't find this film so off-putting this time around. At least I'm really hoping that's the case.

Midnight Run

I had seen this many times, but it had probably been about 10 years since my last viewing. I had it at #101 when I did my top 200 about 5 years ago, 1 of 2 movies in this Hall of Fame to make that list, with the other being Romper Stomper at #179. This was also one of my father's favorite movies.

I think it has aged pretty well, at least better than a lot of other 80's movies. The only thing that I thought was really dated was the cheesy musical score. My taste has changed some in the last few years, but I still think it's an exceptionally funny and entertaining film. If you consider the movie an action/comedy, I think it could be the best one ever made, unless you consider Beverly Hills Cop an action/comedy, which happens to be from the same director. I don't actually think the action part of the movie is as effective as I once did, but I do still think the more serious moments blend in well with the comedy. The cast makes the movie, with De Niro and Grodin playing off of each other so well, and several scene stealing supporting performances. Dennis Farina is especially good, and he was once a Chicago cop before he got into acting. I don't watch enough old favorites anymore, so I'm glad this was nominated.

+

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
The Man From Nowhere

Firstly, i had a copy of this which was horribly dubbed i didn't realize it was until i tried to watch it. I actually watched the first ten minutes of it because it was hilarious hearing thesse American-dude voices badly dubbed over the actors was kind of brilliant . It was fine though i already knew where else to watch it.

Man this was great. Action movies are more miss than hit for me these days but i thought the story and performances were really well done. The interactions between Cha and So-Mi in particular, he was a bit of a moody emo type at first but i did buy into him genuinely caring for her despite them only having a few scenes together. The kid was adorable and really funny i loved her "Pawnshop Ghost and Garbage sounds like a good rock band" line. Their relationship wasn't exactly original i mean troubled kid grows attached to loner who turns out to be superhuman sounds like Leon: The Professional (just want to point out that he even had a cactus that meant alot to him like Leon and his flower) with obvious differences, but i honestly felt like their relationship was more believable than Leon and whatever Portmans characters name was even though they were together for a fraction of the time they were; the last scene before she is kidnapped with her "you are more mean but i don't hate you for it because then there would be no one that i like" line broke my heart. I think this is what sets this apart from alot of other Action Movies i don't care for when i watch them now i genuinely cared about the characters. That first half an hour did a much better job of getting me interested in the upcoming action than similar films like say Taken where the acting and dialogue is terrible so i don't really care what is going on. One thing i didn't think was necessery though was his wife being pregnant when she died, it wasn't bad but it was so obvious when you saw the first brief glimpse of her in what was clearly a hospital and also i really don't think they needed this to make Cha and So-Mi's relationship more meaningful. I'd have liked it more if it was from his simple interactions with her. Again though it wasn't a bad thing because it did explain why he was so distant and seemingly empty, would have preferred some other explanation though personally. The scene where they reunited was so beautiful and i actually really liked the twist even though i saw it coming. Ramworan had gave off a sympathetic vibe from his scenes with So-Mi which i thought was well done.

The villains were well developed as well (as a side note i'm terrible at remembering Korean names so i'm using wiki and i might get some of them mixed up); they really did feel like a sinister organization little things like the Oh Myung-gyu brutally slapping basically demeaning Man-Seok who'll later take over the organization himself and will be shown as callously brutal with the axe scene or even showing the lower down guys like Jong-Seoks wealth with the hottub scene gave off the impression of great power and that coupled with their brutality made this helpless young girl in their possession a drastic situation. The organ harvesting angle was also an interesting angle i wasn't expecting; makes it all the more horrifying. Jong Seok was a great villain. He was so campy and crazy loved his voice and facial expressions, he really came across menacing. Him and his brothers relationship was great i think it is a common one seen in movie or tv show villains; the psychotic one and his laidback but equally brutal partner but it was fun to watch anyway. Big Bear or whatever he was called was the man i wish he wasn't killed so soon i mean i understand that he served his purpose and more of him would've became repetitive but god that first fight where the guy runs out of nowhere at him and he picks him up and throws him through the window got one of the biggest laughs of the film from me. The police were great too, they were pretty clueless and funny. Detective Kim was probably my second favourite character after Cha actually. He didn't really even do anything he just somehow managed to be the coolest character in a film full of cool characters.

Anyway sorry for rambling i've barely even mentioned the action mostly because i'm not good at explaining what i liked about it.I thought it was a great idea not to show Cha Tae-sik fight until an hour in, even though when they finally did it was short and against nobodies it was still very effective with it being intercut with the cops reading his background for the first time. His brutality towards Jong-Saek when he found out what was happening to the children was amazing and so was the final wrist-slitting fight, the fight with Ramworan who was the only one that could actually fight him was a bit of a letdown though. The music was another thing that was excellent did a great job of building the tension and excitement.

Anyway great nom Royale . Not sure if it will hold up because action films rarely do with me but i liked this alot. Barbara next for me.
Yeah, I thought action films might not hold up but this movie was different for me, so I gave it a shot

Midnight Run

As i said i'm going to make short posts about the films that i'm not going to rewatch, i'll start with this.

Midnight Run is both one of my favourite comedies and one of my favourite films in general. I first watched it when i was about 12 and loved it but could never remember its name until i stumbled upon it one youtube about five years ago, didn't expect it to hold up like so many haven't as i've got older but it absolutely did and i bought it and have watched it multiple times since. Along with My Cousin Vinny and The Burbs it's my go to cheesy comedy that always relaxes me and puts me an extremely good mood every time without fail. It's not just the humour although i do find it hilarious, i mean there's some films i find funnier that i don't like nearly as much. And the film is certainly no masterpiece; Deniro's character is a very cliche ex cop with baggage and the mafia are extremely one note, his family story really isn't special at all and i don't feel moved by his scene with his daughter. Regardless, it is so entertaining to me which i think is a combination of the humour, Grodin's performance as well as his chemistry with Deniro and just the general feel of the film that i can't quite explain.

Anyway great film, one of my favourites.

Yeah, I thought action films might not hold up but this movie was different for me, so I gave it a shot
For the record i meant hold up as in i don't think it will be quite as good if i rewatch it, hope i'm wrong though. I agree with this too though and said as much in my review.

Casablanca

Casablanca is a great film i truly think it deserves all the praise it gets but i don't seem to like it nearly as much as everyone else. It's so frustrating because i really can't tell you why, i don't have any problems with it and i think most elements are well done. It is masterfully shot, the whole cast are great; it's not one of my favourite Bogart performances but it is iconic for a reason, he pulls off that broken down, cynical man like noone else could and i can't even begin to imagine anyone else playing him. Ingrid Bergman is great too although i do somewhat agree with Topsy that she gets a bit over-dramatic for me in a couple of scenes and that's not a usual complaint for me (some of my favourite performances are exactly that like Vivien Leigh in both Streetcar and GWTW) but that is a minor squabble and it is pretty much cancelled out by her intense chemistry with Bogart, the romance is extremely well done. Then like Bogies performance the script is iconic for a reason; i know firsthand that people who haven't even seen it quote it; a friend of mine who definitely hasn't seen it once said "here's looking at you kid" in a bogie-like voice and he doesn't know why . Despite all this and after three watches it's just not a favourite of mine can't explain, don't get me wrong though i've enjoyed it every time; Swan hasn't found a new ally . Anyway yeah great film but not a favourite of mine, fully expect it to win and it will be a deserving winner.

I'll post about Joe later and Y Tu Mama Tambien last because i want to expand on why i love it since it is my nom.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
This was my first chance to get back to the library today. I own my nomination. So I probably will just save that for the end.

I will save the rewatch of Casablanca until TCM has their 31 Days of Oscar because it will most likely be shown during that time.

I will start this this week (probably tonight) with a rewatch of The Grand Budapest Hotel. And I will also watch Hiroshima Mon Amour and Never Let Me Go because those are the 3 that I can pick up from this library today.

I requested all of the others. But I am unable to obtain 3 of them:
U-Turn
Sanshiro Sugata
Joe

Actually, I can get U-Turn, but it is only on VHS and we know the situation with my VCR. Maybe I can get a new one in the very near future.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a way that I could watch those 3 films, please let me know. I plan on getting my computer fixed in February. So if there are any links, I will still be able to get this HoF done by the deadline. No worries there. Thank you.

I believe those are line breaks. They're not going to be obvious in the editor, but go to the beginning of each line and hit the back space, then replace it with a regular space. Then it should wrap normally.

I assume they got carried over from some other place, where they were originally written?

its not copied from anywhere if thats what you mean,Im typing it directly- like i am now.I`ll try that from now on then!

I find the exact same thing with his films. They're very pretty, but also very boring due to the completely unengaging characters.

I don't know when I'll get around to trying to rewatch Grand Budapest Hotel. When I tried to watch it before, I don't think I made it very far. I had to turn it off after Ralph Fiennes punched some guy. But I've since managed to sit through Moonrise Kingdom, and didn't absolutely hate it, so maybe I won't find this film so off-putting this time around. At least I'm really hoping that's the case.
If you`ve already seen it,or seen most of it and disliked it to the excent that you had to turn it off then i dont think you should have to rewatch it,lots of members dont rewatch unless its been so long they dont really remember it..Just judge it on that viewing,unless you want to of course

She said earlier she only watched about ten minutes (may be misremembering how long) of it though. Don't think that'd be fair on Ed and i think she said that herself.

I know you didn't know that, just pointing it out.