The Bear

Tools    

This is excellent. It's a hectic look at the life of Carmy, a chef in a downtown restaurant. There is a load of subplot and there are funny moments as well as a lot of drama.

It's a love letter to all things Chicago, and feels like Uncut Gems in the Kitchen.

8 episodes.

Recommended.

I went through the whole series (I mean, it is only 8 episodes) pretty quickly when it was released. I agree that it's very strong. The acting is good and the way that they build the various relationships between the characters is enjoyable. I also loved how certain elements would pay off in later episodes (I'm sure you know at least one thing I'm talking about).

And I'm going to keep this really vague, but I have a LOT of respect for shows that can end a story in a way that they can stand on their own or leave space for another season.

This is excellent. It's a hectic look at the life of Carmy, a chef in a downtown restaurant. There is a load of subplot and there are funny moments as well as a lot of drama.

It's a love letter to all things Chicago, and feels like Uncut Gems in the Kitchen.

8 episodes.

Recommended.

I posted about this ages okay. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Loved it. And I believe there will be a season 2.

I posted about this ages okay. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Loved it. And I believe there will be a season 2.
Sorry, I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on it.

By coincidence, I just started this and already mostly through it. Yeah, such a watchable show. Kinetic, energetic, very entertaining. Great show just a handful of episodes in. Kinda glad I came to it a half-year late, too, because it'll make the wait for the second season a lot easier.

By coincidence, I just started this and already mostly through it. Yeah, such a watchable show. Kinetic, energetic, very entertaining. Great show just a handful of episodes in. Kinda glad I came to it a half-year late, too, because it'll make the wait for the second season a lot easier.
Me too. It just keeps getting better and better. The 8th? episode is a really outstanding piece of tv making which I won't spoil but it's tense as hell.

Looking forward to it. Probably tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Honestly, they're all tense. Every time someone bends down to light a pilot light or cut any food with any knife I preemptively cringe because the show immediately primes you to assume something's gonna go wrong.

You ready? You look ready.
Shameless going off the air is the best thing that ever happened to television because now we get to see Jeremy Allen White set free.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Sorry, I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on it.
I think I wrote about it in Limited Series thread. Whatever.

Looking forward to it. Probably tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Honestly, they're all tense. Every time someone bends down to light a pilot light or cut any food with any knife I preemptively cringe because the show immediately primes you to assume something's gonna go wrong.
Yes chef.

Watching season 2 now. Four episodes in & it’s somewhat different than season 1 because the restaurant is being refurbished & is not open yet.

Finished season 2. Quite the ride to say the least. Episode 6 was an hour long & took us on quite the journey.

Final episode has the restaurant up & running (just about) & there’s tons to unpack for a third season.

I have a huge crush on Richie. He’s damaged goods, but not fatally.

Just watched the pilot for this critically acclaimed series that in two seasons, has won, among other honors, ten Emmy Awards, and six Golden Globes. The main reason I wanted to watch this is because I'm a huge Jeremy Allen White fan, who won me over when he was playing Lip on the SHOWTIME series Shameless, so I knew I had to watch this at some point. The Series revolves around Carm, a gourmet chef who has returned to his hometown of Chicago to run his family's sandwich. The title character is revealed in the opening dream sequence, but not sure what it really means yet, and have had no backstory regarding Carm's life before Chicago. His interview with a sous chef revealed that Carm is one of the most famous chefs in the country, hope we get some backstory on that. This show is also featuring superior production values, especially the editing which reveals a passion for culinary arts that rivals The Menu and Pig. It's lots of fun watching Carm purchase the very best meat available like drug deals. Loving Ebon-Moss Bacharach as Richie, the only other employee at the shop who's white. It was also revealed in the pilot that Carm has only been here two weeks, impressively carving himself a niche already. Wow you can cut the tension in this kitchen like a knife. I guess there's a power struggle between Carm and Richie that hasn't been resolved yet because the place used to be managed by Richie, but when Carm's brother died, he left it to Carm and not Richie. Carm also seems to be exhibiting symptons of an ulcer. Love the way the food is photographed...it makes cooking look like a totally lost art form. Former SNL cast member Abby Elliott impressed in her introduction as Carm's sister. Fell in love with Carm when he was informed that his uncle wants to buy the place and he said not for sale without hesitation. They have established in the pilot that, even though his staff may not realize it yet. Carmy knows exactly what he's doing. "Dude, he's not a nice guy, he's just sad inside." Just realized that Carmy and Richie are cousins. Loving this. Creater and head writer Christopher Storer and Jeremy Allen White are crushing this.

Season One, Ep 2. OK, we're getting the backstory requested in my previous post. Is that Joel McHale playing his previous boss? What's a broken man sauce? "Can't operate at a higher level without consistency." Carmy scrubs that floor like Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest. Not since John Hughes has a director made Chicago looks as appealing as Christopher Storer The editing on this show is amazing. How did Sydney acquire that data to compile that report? Didn't that actress playing the heath inspector used to be Chicago PD? Sydney needs to dial it back a little, she just started. They're required to post that rating in the window? Loved the music behind Carmy's coming home scene. "Beware of bitches with notebooks." God, how long can Richie and Carmy co-exist? Interesting reveal as how Carmy's brother died. Oliver Platt playing a wiseguy, odd casting. OK, I guess there's a human somewhere under all of Richie's bluster. They're certainly trying to imbue some sympathy into the character while a certain ambitious insensitivity seems to be bubbling to the surface with Sydney. I knew there were some kind of health issues with Carmy. Would love some more insight into Carmy and his sister. Hope Carmy finds that note from his brother. Had a feeling those cigarettes were Carmy's but I was hoping I was wrong.

Season One, Ep 3. Not shocked by the reveal that Carmy is an alcoholic. That share Carmy was listening to was on the money, I hope he was listening. The staff shouldn't be yelling like that in front of the customers, but I also noticed that none of the customers left either. Love the flashbacks of Carmy's gournet days, more please. Love the movie poster of All the Right Moves on the will, just noticed that...interesting choice of kitchen decor. Why do I have a feeling that Nico is a thumb breaker? Who is Tina trying to sabotage? Do they want me hating Sydney only three episodes in? Why would Sydney try to get that container off the top shelf all by herself? Despite what he told Sydney, I still think Carmy is an alcoholic.

Season One, Ep 4. Those donuts and pastries looked amazing. That scene with Carmy and Richie was very funny. A definite line has been drawn between Sydney and Tina. More Oliver Platt, please. Personally, I've always preferred ketchup on my hot dog. Marcus is really a baker, how cool is that? I like that someone came to Carmy's defense at that party. I hope that "nap time" wasn't something more serious. Who was that guy busting Carmy's chops at the party? I guess nap time was serious. They are awfully calm regarding these drugged out kids. Didn't really realize Jimmy was family. It's a shame that Sydney and Tina are working so hard at heating each other.