The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wow Terminator above Empire wtf hahaha.

I had Empire at number 20, it's a great fun ride!

And I am rooting for the Shining to win !

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just to echo everyone else's sentiments, WHAT?!

I can't believe Empire didn't make the top 3 at least. Perhaps it suffered from tactical voting by people who assumed it didn't need the votes. Still, at least it's top 5.

It will not be a surprise that Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was my number one film of the 80s. In fact, it's probably my number one film of all time. It's almost certainly the film I have watched most, and it doesn't get old. Star Wars is great, but Empire has got all the good stuff: Yoda, the Han and Leia romance, the Darth Vader-is-Luke's-father twist, Cloud City lightsaber battle, Han and Leia getting captured by Vader, Boba Fett.

Plus, how more 80s could it be? It's a sequel, with training montages and robots, and it's got Harrison Ford in it.

I get that some people don't love the Star Wars trilogy. But it's brilliant.

Empire was my number 11. I am floored it is only at number 5!

I still say Raiders of the Lost Ark will be number one.

Also for the record I would have voted for The Shining, but I submitted my list thinking The Shining was released in 1979, not 1980. A bit of a huge mistake there.

The Empire Strikes Back is great but I didn't vote for it.
+

OK, I'm even more shocked than I was. The Terminator higher than ESB? I mean, it's great, unless you care about acting and a decent script ... People do realise it's a James Cameron film right?

It will not be a surprise that Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was my number one film of the 80s. In fact, it's probably my number one film of all time. It's almost certainly the film I have watched most, and it doesn't get old. Star Wars is great, but Empire has got all the good stuff: Yoda, the Han and Leia romance, the Darth Vader-is-Luke's-father twist, Cloud City lightsaber battle, Han and Leia
getting captured by Vader, Boba Fett.

Next you'll be telling me Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

Oh, God, Raiders of the Lost Ark is so not '80s.

I would rather see The Shining be #1 than that film.

Also for the record I would have voted for The Shining, but I submitted my list thinking The Shining was released in 1979, not 1980. A bit of a huge mistake there.
You worthless piece of crap!

While I, too, am shocked, I'll save the full brunt of it until I see how many points separate the top five films. It's possible a number of them are mashed together so that a vote here or there would've made the difference between 5th and 2nd or 1st.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Empire got 15 pts. from me. Of the remaining four, they got 25, 23, 0 and zero pts. from me, but I like all of them.
Nowadays it's usually taken for granted that people think that The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the series, but I still don't buy it personally. Sure, the sequel is more-serious and darker, more-operatic, introduces the Jedi Yoda, and has one of the greatest reveals in film history, but it's just not really all that fun and then it ends anti-climatically. I love The Empire Strikes Back, but I love Star Wars much more.
On directing The Empire Strikes Back:

"I think it went beyond Star Wars. You had some humor, you got to know the characters a little better. I saw it as the second movement in an opera. That's why I wanted some of the things slower. And it ends in a way that you can't wait to see or to hear the vivace, the allegretto. I didn't have a climax at the end. I had an emotional climax."

"Of all the younger guys around, all the hot shots, why me? I remember [George Lucas] said, 'Well, because you know everything a Hollywood director is supposed to know, but you're not Hollywood.' I liked that."

- Irvin Kershner

This list is officially over.

It ended a day earlier than I wanted it to end.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Empire was my #3 (behind a bit of tactical voting for Blue Velvet, and the greatest film of all time at #1, TBLT).

I was certain it would make the top 3. Come on? Come on Mofo? If The Terminator wins over everything, I will be sad. It will make this list:

Just think. Without The Brave Little Toaster, Toy Story would never have happened. Pixar would not have been the same. Lassiter may not have ended up at Pixar. The Brave Little Toaster is one of the most influential animations of all time.

Reviews

I'm gonna put my balls in the blender on this one and say Raiders will win.
I'll take some of that ball juice with a lot of vodka, please.