Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

When We Were Kings, 1996

This film documents the events leading up to the 1974 “Rumble in the Jungle” fight between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (called Zaire at the time). When the fight is delayed by a month and a half due to a minor injury to one of the fighters, anticipation grows leading up to the showdown.

Compelling from beginning to end, this film captures the simplicity of Ali’s disarming charisma and the complexity of the sociopolitical context of the boxing match.

Full review

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, 2005

With a mix of interviews and archival footage, this documentary explores the shady business practices of the Enron Corporation and the huge impact of its ultimate failure.

Equal parts infuriating and illuminating, this is a great deep dive into a piece of recent history with which I was only mildly familiar.

Full review

By https://www.cinematerial.com/movies/...926/p/a1v2ei5e, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6449189

Moulin Rouge - (1952)

This film focuses on the life of famed artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (played by José Ferrer - who also plays his father in flashbacks) and is really worth a look. His aristocratic family were inbred to the point of afflicting the poor guy with legs that broke, wouldn't heal, and wouldn't grow - which didn't affect his painting, but sadly tormented him in every other way. He'd drink himself to an early grave, dying at the age of 36. (He's played by John Leguizamo in Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge!) I was really impressed by this, with it's narrowing down on the man's art itself and primarily on the two lost opportunities he had for love. Toulouse-Lautrec learns early that some ladies find his malformation too ugly to overlook - and this hardens his soul and makes it impossible for those who do grow fond of him to get through that their feelings are genuine. Despite such prominent billing, Zsa Zsa Gabor doesn't play one of these two women (the actresses that do are Colette Marchand and Suzanne Flon) - instead only appearing briefly for a few song and dance numbers. Toulouse-Lautrec's pain concerning lost chances at love, amid the wonderous world of 1890 to 1900s Paris, makes it feel like he's living through the canvas he paints on. A young Peter Cushing turns up late as a suitor for one of Toulouse-Lautrec's love interests. Ferrer's performance is curt, and taciturn, and modelled I think on the way aristocrats with generations of breeding might talk once they've descended into the hoi polloi. A really moving, interesting, colourful and enjoyably musical movie. It could have done with more Moulin Rouge - considering the fact that it's called Moulin Rouge.

7.5/10
I agree. A wonderful film with a brilliant performance by Ferrer, and first rate direction by John Huston.

It's funny. When I think of that film I see Ferrer's T-Lautrec in black and white, even though the film was shot in brilliant 3 strip Technicolor by Oswald Morris.

TL was a great Post-Impressionist painter (along with van Gogh and Cezanne), but a sad character.

For All Mankind, 1989

Mixing archival footage and interviews, this film recounts the challenges and successes of various moon-landing missions throughout the years.

The mix of awe-inspiring visuals and personal testimonies creates a compelling blend of the intimate and the infinite.

Full review

I forgot the opening line.

By All Movie Guide [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12403719

A Streetcar Named Desire - (1995)

I love the original cinematic adaptation of the Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire, with Marlon Brando heating up the screen as bull of a man Stanley Kowalski - and I love the play itself. That's why I was curious to see this made-for-TV production of the play, with Alec Baldwin as Stanley, Jessica Lange as Blanche DuBois, Diane Lane as Stella and John Goodman as Mitch. With that cast I just knew I had to see how the performers handled the material. Lange ended up winning a Golden Globe, and overall the performances are really good - my only criticism is towards Baldwin as he seems to love the Brando performance so much that he seems to be emulating the great actor instead of taking the character on himself. It's a sad story, like nearly all Tennessee Williams stories are, and it never fails to sadden me (in the right kind of way.) This was okay. Always in the mood for Streetcar, no matter who's doing it.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Point Break - 1991

One I missed growing up. Probably would have enjoyed it more if I caught it in the 90s. Way over the top absurd but that's what they were going for. Swayze was the best part I think. It was absurd but decently fun. It was a bit much for me though. The ending made me lol for real. Fun flick but missed my window for really latching on to it.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

BKB

Rewatch. I think this movie became better after all these years. It's actually fire
When this came out, it sort of suffered from being the 1st sequel coming off such a fantastic movie in the 1st AVENGERS that it was hard to live up to that.. Sort of like how The DARK KNIGHT was so incredibly well done that The DARK KNIGHT RISES paled in comparison

Terrific re-enactment. Really enjoyed it. Unbelievable all 13 kids got out alive. Definitely would be much better on the big screen, but my iPad had to suffice. Good extras too.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Point Break - 1991

One I missed growing up. Probably would have enjoyed it more if I caught it in the 90s. Way over the top absurd but that's what they were going for. Swayze was the best part I think. It was absurd but decently fun. It was a bit much for me though. The ending made me lol for real. Fun flick but missed my window for really latching on to it.

Prime Busey!

Exit Through the Gift Shop, 2010

This documentary follows the story of Thierry Guetta, a man who relentlessly documented his own life and eventually became obsessed with documenting underground street artists. Collecting hours and hours of footage, Guetta himself becomes the center of the narrative when he decides to become a street artist himself. Present first as a subject and then as a narrator, a delightfully baffled Banksy (who directed the film) oversees the events of the film.

Asking interesting questions about what qualifies as art or originality, this is a hilarious collision of personalities set inside the “art world.”

Full review

Titicut Follies, 1967

This fly-on-the-wall documentary gives us an inside look at the people and culture inside of the Bridgewater State Hospital for the Criminally Insane.

Unsettling on multiple levels, this film highlights the powerlessness that people--any people--can experience once placed in the custody of an institution.

Full review

Tron (1982)

Classic movie, haven't seen it since the 80's so my memory of it is patchy at best. Since I'm an adult now I much better understand the concept. Some of the greatest visuals of any scifi flick. Relevant to the current AI crisis.

10/10

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37784628

Frozen - (2013)

I hear this one is popular with the kids, and I can really see why. It's also a film that has absolutely no consensus when it comes time to see how everyone rates it. Well, how does it look? It's looks beautiful - one of the best looking animated films I've ever seen, with snow-filled landscapes, animals and icy architecture that's dazzling. It also sounds great, with plenty of extremely catchy tunes - a little pop-music, but fitting all the same, and enjoyable. The funny stuff is very winsome, and I thought that this movie was full of clever comedy that works for adults and kids. The story takes inspiration from Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale "The Snow Queen", which is popular in Russia, but isn't adapted quite as much in English-speaking countries - so it's a nice change. You've gotta give this one to the kids - they've voted with their nagging insistence to see Frozen again, and this animated film is set to unleash a wave of nostalgia in the decades to come. Already a classic - and I think excellent.

9/10

By www.moviegoods.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7085309

Picnic - (1955)

This was one of the strangest 50s melodramas I've ever seen - and I'm still trying to work out what it all meant. William Holden unleashes his sex appeal as Hal Carter, and when he's not taking his shirt off and flaunting his tanned, muscular physique his shirt is getting ripped off in various contrived ways. He plays Hal Carter, a drifter and a bit of a tale-teller who comes across an old pal, and falls in love with his girl, Madge (Kim Novak). Many of the events take place at an annual picnic, where Madge has been voted a kind of May Queen, and where various intrigue and romance takes place. Hal's animal magnetism and testosterone seems to upset the natural balance of order amongst the townsfolk, and it unleashes some really crazy dramatic moments. There's some kind of battle between sensible planning, and pure emotional spontaneity in this movie, and it wants to shake up the mundane order and encourage passion - to hell with the comfort of the predictable. I'm not sure how much I liked this, but I won't be forgetting it any time soon.

6/10

By Impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=21058600

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - (2006)

This is pretty much standard Liam Lynch/Jack Black stuff, but several big name cameos from the likes of Tim Robbins, John C. Reilly, Meat Loaf, Amy Poehler and Ben Stiller lift it from mediocrity and make it heaps of fun. I mean, just look at those names - every one of them making comedy magic in their individual scenes. Thank goodness, because they're all funnier than Jack Black and Kyle Gass, who manage to hold our interest and at least be amusing. I'd watch this movie again for that reason alone - those guest star set-pieces.

7/10

Bob Dylan: Dont Look Back, 1967

This documentary follows Bob Dylan on his 1965 tour through England. The footage includes interviews, performances, and interactions between Dylan and other musicians at the various venues.

This is a fascinating portrait of an artist on the rise with engaging sequences portraying different facets of fame and performance.

Full review

Deliver Us from Evil, 2006

From the 1970s until the 1990s, Catholic priest Oliver O’Grady molested and raped dozens of (known) victims that he gained access to via his role in the church. The extent of his crimes were enabled by a Church system that used their authority to prevent the crimes from being reported to the police and shuffled O’Grady around from community to community every time accusations came to light.

The phrase “burn it all down” comes to mind as the film uncovers layers and layers of corruption, all centered on a man who clearly feels no remorse for the lasting damage he’s done to dozens of children.

Full review