2017 Mofo Film Awards - The Nominations

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Has it really been a year already? Time certainly does fly.

I've definitely seen less films this year than last, and it was pretty much exclusively the big theatrical releases. If anyone has any recommendations, hit me up. I wouldn't have seen I, Daniel Blake last year if it wasn't for certain people promoting it here, and it would be nice to find another surprise favourite like that.
I, Daniel Blake is splendid. Little movie with a great power of impact

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A reference for eligible films are usually based on the widest release date.

So if a film has a very small limited run in 2016...but gets a wide release in early 2017, then we usually count it as 2017.

Of course I still get nominations for films from previous years so it doesn’t always stick.

If a film was included in Awards last year it is ineligible.

If you are unsure, post the film in the thread and we can discuss.

It does tend to favour North American releases.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The poster took me about 45 minutes. Very basic stuff like cutting it out of original image and adjusting size.

I didn’t mess around with colour at all. I used the clone tool to smooth out the smoke images so it’s not too rough.

One of the more fun aspects of this tradition is putting together the poster. I think it gets better with every year.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I, Daniel Blake is splendid. Little movie with a great power of impact
Thanks for the recommendation

Welcome to the human race...
I tend to let people define their own criteria for categories like that. It’s been a mixture of both in the past years.

I thought about pushing the deadline back a month and if there is enough support for it can still do that.

Thoughts on adding a Foreign Language Film this year everyone?
It was interesting to see the AV Club's film writers talk about their picks and use the phrasing "most welcome surprise" instead of the much more open-to-interpretation phrasing "biggest surprise". Even now, I'm still unsure if it's worth splitting into two distinct categories.

I'm okay with extending the deadline and adding a Foreign Language category.

And honestly i do enjoy this and i'm really grateful Suspect takes the time to do it. But the winners and nominees are always boring anyway, so many members only watch the blockbusters and oscar films so that's what fills everything up.
Yeah, that can't be helped - like he said, we can campaign for whatever films we want and encourage people to consider them, but in the end it really does shake down to a kind of lowest-common-denominator thing because not everyone can (or will) go out of their way to watch the off-beat stuff like Swiss Army Man or whatever. Having it take place after the official awards season wraps up also seems like it influences the results - it doesn't feel like coincidence that last year's Best Film winner was a tie between La La Land and Manchester by the Sea (a.k.a. a double-shot of "not Moonlight").

Yeah, that can't be helped - like he said, we can campaign for whatever films we want and encourage people to consider them, but in the end it really does shake down to a kind of lowest-common-denominator thing because not everyone can (or will) go out of their way to watch the off-beat stuff like Swiss Army Man or whatever. Having it take place after the official awards season wraps up also seems like it influences the results - it doesn't feel like coincidence that last year's Best Film winner was a tie between La La Land and Manchester by the Sea (a.k.a. a double-shot of "not Moonlight").
Yeah exactly. If we were to do the 2013 Awards now i don't think they'd turn out so typical but there's no way to avoid that and obviously you don't want to discourage participation.

So basically great job as always TUS and looking forward to sending my list,

yay getting pm'ed to vote for a movie the guy hasn't even saw

yeah getting pm'ed to vote for a movie the guy hasn't even saw
Just campaigning for my favorite film of the year.

And once again: I have seen it.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Originally Posted by Velvet
these movies all blow, stop spamming my inbox with this garbage
and you havent even watched it you fu**ing idiot
stop spamming me, you have **** taste. Like actual bottom of the barrel taste
Really mature.

Yeah, that's got to be the first "for your consideration" message someone's actually made. Could've been pasted straight into this thread, though.

Best Film of The Year

Best Director of the Year - Luca Guadagnino

Best Actor of the Year - Timothée Chalamet
(oh pretty plz with loads of sugar on top. he's a revelation in this.)

Best Supporting Actor of the Year - Michael Stuhlbarg

Best Screenplay of the Year - James Ivory

Most Memorable Scene of the Year - "The Peach Scene"

Best Cinematography of the Year - Sayombhu Mukdeeprom

In any case, I've already been hearing about Call Me By Your Name for months on end now to the point where I'm all but expecting to dislike it. Still, I remain optimistic and I may end up seeing it this weekend so we shall see.

Velvet is a member that is trying hard to morph into Minio, he did the same for SC both times he has failed and he should get his own personality. He has absolutely no authority to act as snobbish as he does but he does anyway. Question him on anything and he'll crumble.
Meanwhile, I am a moderately successful Holden Pike knock-off.