2017 Mofo Film Awards - The Nominations

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Hello Mofos....

Here we go yet again, another year down and another awards ceremony around the corner.

How many times have you watched the Golden Globes or the Oscars and wondered why your favourite film isn't nominated or roll your eyes at the obvious choice for the winner? Plenty of times, just like me. Well, here at Mofo you can voice your opinion and award films that matter.

Will Wonder Woman earn a Best Picture or Best Director nod at the Oscars? Who knows, but it might here....

Every year there are more and more participants, last year I believe we had 35 lists sent in, let's try and beat that this year.

The DEADLINE for your nominations is March 1st.

I started the thread a bit later this year, but the deadline has remained the same. See what movies you can and nominate them before this date. We will then have another month to watch any of the nominated films you might not have seen and will vote until April 1st. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Just watch as many movies as you can and send me your nominations before March 1st.

- You can nominate up to 5 choices for each category. You do not need to nominate 5, if you've only seen 3 films that you feel fit the category, by all means. But you cannot nominate more than 5.

- You are able to replace, change or add to your nominations up to and including the final deadline date.

- When nominating for Most Memorable Scene....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be as vague as possible. If a famous death scene is your most memorable scene, word it so that it does not give away anything surprising. Some of us still have to catch up on Star Wars....among other films.

- Please do not post your nominations here, but you are more than welcome to campaign for certain actors, films or directors. If you think Hugh Jackman deserves a nomination for his final performance as Logan, then shout it at the top of your lungs.

- When nominating an actor, please specify which film. Some people have more than one film released in any given year. Just so I don't assume anything.

- When nominating a Best Trailer, please indicate which trailer. Movies have more than one and I do not want to assume.

- This year will be a little different as we will have 10 Best Picture Nominees, giving more films a chance to make an impression.

Private Message me your nominations.

Wikipedia is a good source for films released in 2017. If you have any doubt, ask, people will be glad to help out.

The categories are:

Best Film of The Year

Worst Film of the Year

Best Director of the Year

Best Actor of the Year

Best Actress of the Year

Best Supporting Actor of the Year

Best Supporting Actress of the Year

Best Screenplay of the Year

Best Animated Film of the Year

Best Documentary Film of the Year

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Most Underrated Film of the Year

Most Memorable Scene of the Year

Best Trailer of the Year

Best Cast of the Year

Best Cinematography of the Year

Breakout Performance of the Year

Best Score

Best Visual Effects

Previous winners:

2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: La La Land & Manchester By The Sea

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land

You'll notice last year we had a tie for Best Picture. But you'll also notice that every year so far the Best Director and Best Picture have essentially lined up together. Will this year break that trend?

Are there any front runners for any category? Last year we saw some surprising nominations with Silence & The Nice Guys both getting Best Picture nods. Ryan Gosling nominated TWICE for Best Actor and American Honey surprising in a few categories.

I look forward to what you people choose this year.

Submitted Lists:

Ian
Raven73
GrantD2
Marlon Brando
The Rodent
Luis
BraedenG33
Cinemajack
Camo
Scarletlion
sawduck
rauldc14
Tugg
Ms. M
seanc
Cynema De Bergerac
Thursday Next
Cricket
Ultraviolence
HashtagBrownies
CiCi
Dirk120
Dani8
CosmicRunaway
Nope1172
Okay
Iroquois
Frightened Inmate No.2
Holden Pike
Sudden

Total: 30

Suspect's Reviews

Also, bonus points on who can quickly name every film in that poster.
From what I can see:
  • Ladybird
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  • It
  • Murder on the Orient Express
  • A Ghost Story
  • Dunkirk
  • Star Wars; The Last Jedi
  • Get Out
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • John Wick 2
  • Logan
  • The Emoji Movie
  • The Fate of the Furious
  • A Ghost Story
  • War for the Planet of the Apes
  • The Shape of Water
  • Spiderman: Homecoming

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
From what I can see:
  • Ladybird
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • It
  • A Ghost Story
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • John Wick 2
  • Logan
  • The Emoji Movie
  • A Ghost Story
  • The Shape of Water
Close, but you have one incorrect and are missing a few and mentioned A Ghost Story twice.

From what I can see:
  • Ladybird
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • It
  • A Ghost Story
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • John Wick 2
  • Logan
  • The Emoji Movie
  • A Ghost Story
  • The Shape of Water
Baby Driver
Justice League

Welcome to the human race...
Since we seem to add new categories each year, I wonder how well a foreign-language category would go over with people.

Yes, it is Baby Driver, not Fate of the Furious.

Still a few not mentioned.
Okay got it
  • Get Out
  • Shape of Water
  • Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
  • Lady Bird
  • A Ghost Story
  • Dunkirk
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Kingsman Golden Circle
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • IT
  • John Wick
  • Logan
  • Justice League
  • 3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri
  • Kong Skull Island
  • Star Wars Last Jedi
  • Baby Driver
  • Emoji Movie

Glad you're doing this again Suspect I think it's important for us to keep our MoFo traditions alive. I haven't watched many 2017 films but as always I will try and send in a ballot and participate.

Maybe I can even pick up a few 2017 recommendations from this thread.

Has it really been a year already? Time certainly does fly.

I've definitely seen less films this year than last, and it was pretty much exclusively the big theatrical releases. If anyone has any recommendations, hit me up. I wouldn't have seen I, Daniel Blake last year if it wasn't for certain people promoting it here, and it would be nice to find another surprise favourite like that.

Welcome to the human race...
I think I've watched more new releases this year than any other (by my reckoning, almost a hundred), and I still have to wait for quite a few of the big ones to come out in the next few months anyway (we don't get Phantom Thread and Lady Bird until February, for example). It's certainly been a real mixed bag this year and I'm hoping the nominees reflect how eclectic this year has truly been.

I've definitely seen less films this year than last, and it was pretty much exclusively the big theatrical releases. If anyone has any recommendations, hit me up. I wouldn't have seen I, Daniel Blake last year if it wasn't for certain people promoting it here, and it would be nice to find another surprise favourite like that.
Recommendations for Documentary

Vietnam War (Ken Burns)
Nature Boy
Icarus
Celtics/Lakers Best of Enemies
Kedi

What've you seen from this year? I could give a few recs

I wouldn't have seen I, Daniel Blake last year if it wasn't for certain people promoting it here,
I don't really have any recommendations right now that you won't already be aware of, if i see something i love that i think isn't getting much attention in the next few months you won't be able to miss me "promoting" it haha.

Think i'm only going to nominate/vote in half or less of the categories this year. Last year i voted for a bunch of random stuff i don't care about just to have a full ballot. Also not sure if i'll have seen enough by the end of March to send something i'm happy with but we'll see. I've currently watched 28. 27 that counts for this as i doubt you'll accept Finding Frances.

Glad you're doing this again

Glad you're setting this deadline. Most of the beloved films of the year won't be at my disposal until 2018.
It's always March 1st then the whole of March to watch stuff and vote. Personally i'd prefer it at the end of March and watching and voting in April but it's not much of a difference anyway.