The most improving actor?

Tools    

Who is the actor / actress who started with a very lousy acting then eventually he improves? I think it's Leo, he has no choice but to improve his acting because he is too famous to be a lousy actor after Titanic.

Wow. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is awesome. Leo is awesome in that movie.

I do think this is a really good idea for a thread, though. And a tough one, too. Most great actors are great right out of the gate. To note one getting better at it is a tough call to make.

Many actors tend to get worse (Mark Walberg) rather than better. Most mid range actors have on days & off days.

Who is getting better?
I would say Tom Cruise – if properly cast. He has come a long way.

Theresa Russell has gotten much better.

Drew Barrymore.

I know I can think of some others, but I am drawing a blank. Have to put some thought into this one.

Good thread.

Who is the actor / actress who started with a very lousy acting then eventually he improves? I think it's Leo, he has no choice but to improve his acting because he is too famous to be a lousy actor after Titanic.
Ummm... he had a string of rock solid performances from the moment he started. He held his own opposite De Niro in his debut performance (This Boy's Life) and got an Oscar nomination the same year for What's Eating Gilbert Grape. And he's great in Titanic. I'm sick of males who are insecure with their sexuality bashing the film because it's melodramatic and romantic. It's a great movie.

One of my top pet peeves is people who dislike DiCaprio. Can't help it. I think he's among the most underrated actors in cinema history.

Anyways, actors don't really just "become" talented. They might make better career choices as they progress, but you can't learn talent. It either comes naturally or it doesn't.

So I personally don't like this thread topic. I just wanted to challenge your ridiculous choice.

See the trailer here:

Ummm... he had a string of rock solid performances from the moment he started.
Totally agree.

DiCaprio has improved with age, yes, but he was never "lousy" or even mediocre. He's always been good.

Each has his own opinion. I think he improved in the Departed. He's never been the same after that.

Each has his own opinion. I think he improved in the Departed. He's never been the same after that.

You mean in the two whole movies Leo's made since The Departed (being Body of Lies and Revolutionary Road)? Not much of a sample there, is it? And I'd say his work in Revolutionary Road is at least as good as both 2006 entries The Departed and Blood Diamond, acting wise. We'll have to see about his latest re-teaming with Scorsese, Shutter Island. And I'm no huge DiCaprio fan or anything.

But yes, as you say: to each their own.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You mean in the two whole movies Leo's made since The Departed (being Body of Lies and Revolutionary Road)? Not much of a sample there, is it? And I'd say his work in Revolutionary Road is at least as good as both 2006 entries The Departed and Blood Diamond, acting wise.
Haha, yep. You summed it up pretty well.

I must agree on Leo. He improved so well