The MoFo Top Neo-noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Well, to be fair, this is me doing things I'm really not supposed to do, but it's all for the better.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, to be fair, this is me doing things I'm really not supposed to do, but it's all for the better.
Thank you for doing it! I know it's a ton of work and can be a hassle.

Thank you for doing it! I know it's a ton of work and can be a hassle.
Thanks. I really didn't mean it as in "I'm bothered, I shouldn't be doing this", but more in the context of how they said they didn't miss running these countdowns, and me reassuring them that it should be a fairly easy job

I was running through the countdown and PM'd a couple of you, regarding some questionable picks that were apparently mistakes. I will appreciate if those that I PM'd reply as soon as possible, so I can fix things on my side. Thanks!

I was going to make a joke about, "oh shit, I didn't know Grave of the Fireflies had a remake," but then I remembered over 20 years ago when the independent video store accidentally gave me the American remake of Breathless. So that's my suspect #1 here.

As we prepare for the countdowns to start, we recommend a bottle of scotch or vodka to properly get in the noir/neo-noir mood.

"At Wiki it needs to say "noir", "film noir", or "neo-noir" in the movie's first section in the first or second sentence. Alternatively, it could be on a "neo-noir" category at the bottom of the page."

TMDB... OK, these rules were just way too effing complicated. I'm just so annoyed right now.
Transferring my reply to the proper thread for the benefit of other posters...

First and foremost, the film in question (Strange Days) could've been deemed eligible based solely on IMDb and TMDB. Both options were mentioned in the opening post. On top of that, the Wikipedia article clearly references it as a film with notable "noir" traits. I know it's not explicitly in the "first or second sentence", but the way its noir influences are referenced on the opening paragraph should've warranted at least an inquiry on the thread; especially if you felt so strongly about it.

Moreover, there were at least two instances where the case of Strange Days was brought up during the thread: I mentioned it back in November as an example of the fusions of neo-noir with other genres (see here), and then, a couple of weeks ago, @Thursday Next asked specifically about its eligiblity. You can see my reply here.

Now, I'm sorry if all of these seemed too complicated, but it's a complicated classification. That said, I think the rules were delineated clearly in the opening post, they were clarified multiple times through the thread, and there was ample time to bring forth any questions about eligibility. Plenty of you did; about other films and about this specific film.

I think we're pretty close, but I had some family stuff to attend to over the weekend that stopped me from 100% completing my end of some code stuff. But I think that should be done today. Sorry, my fault.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence