Steven Speilberg Vs. Netflix

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah I guess that's true, it's just the Oscars never had that attitude before. Before it was Hollywood theatrical releases only. If it was an indie or straight to video film, it was out. Why now have they decided to be have more equality, what changed?

Ostensibly, the Oscars are about rewarding excellence in film - right? (It's really about politics and popularity, but it's supposed to be about rewarding excellence.)

Spot on.
I mean... all you have to do to win an Oscar is make Les Misérables or maybe a drama about some sort of political/racial struggle during wartime, featuring an ensemble cast... and even if the movie is awful, you're guaranteed at least 1 Oscar.

With the controversial snubs over the years and now the actual nominations and winners, the Oscars are laughable.
Actually, they always have been tbh.

It’s hard to find a wide enough audience for a Spanish languaged black and white period piece or an anthology of increasingly nihilistic western fables.

Netflix will take you up on your oddities. Roma got a major awards campaign and they’re putting in the work for Scorsese’s The Irishman* too (and a few other hopefuls due out this year.)

*has Marty said anything about his buddy’s oppositions?
Roma was a release by a major director though, whilst you wouldn't expect it to get blockbuster level coverage you would expect more than the tiny number of screens it got and even on those screen I believe Netflix didn't actually rent out the film, they just took control and 100% of the takings.

Personally I'd say yes a decent cinema release should be needed for an Oscar nom and preferable a physical home release as well, if a streaming service wants to offer it at the same time or even before I don't think that should be a problem.

Also 'going to the movies' and watching at home are not the same thing.. it's the same ballpark..

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield
Eating a bitch out and giving a bitch a foot massage ain't even the same ****ing thing.

Yeah, the only defense of this move is one that admits the Oscars are not primarily about rewarding artistic merit. Which is a reasonable position. If someone wants to say "look, the Oscars exist to bring attention to the industry as a whole," that's reasonable. But right now they're clearly trying to benefit from the insinuation that it's based purely on artistic merit. And the ceremony itself has been trying to have it both ways for awhile. Netflix is forcing people to basically come out and say these things, even if we all knew they were true already.

Frankly, it might be good. If they just admit the Oscars are about X and not Y, the ceremony figures to get better once it stops pretending to be two things at once.

Netflix is fighting back.

The war is on!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...berg-response/
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

If Netflix just aimed for theatrical releases, wouldn't they make more money and win more awards anyway?

This would be a solution, but they would make less $€
Why would they make less? After theater release, the movie would go to Netflix after, so wouldn't they make more then, cause they release it in theaters first, then Netflix?

Why would they make less? After theater release, the movie would go to Netflix after, so wouldn't they make more then, cause they release it in theaters first, then Netflix?
Martin Scorsese's film The Irishman, a Netflix production, will be released in theaters before arriving on the streaming network service. I'm already predicting the movie will be up for tons of awards next year. I guess Speilberg wouldn't mind too since it will be released in theaters first.

The entire point of having exclusives is that you can't get them anywhere else, thus incentivizing people to use your service.

We need a poll on this thread. I'm betting when this issue is resolved, the Academy will decide to allow movie's from streaming services like Netflix to be included in the Oscars...even if they don't have a broad theatrical release. I wonder how other MoFos feel the outcome will be?

The entire point of having exclusives is that you can't get them anywhere else, thus incentivizing people to use your service.
Well I figured that Netflix can make just as much money in the theater as well, cause it would still go them, and thus therefore, still using their service, but maybe I'm wrong

Netflix certainly seems to disagree, at least. It's not surprising, though: they're primarily a logistics company. The cost of streaming content is very cheap, particularly for them, who've become experts at it. There's a lot more work involved in distributing films.

Martin Scorsese's film The Irishman, a Netflix production, will be released in theaters before arriving on the streaming network service. I'm already predicting the movie will be up for tons of awards next year. I guess Speilberg wouldn't mind too since it will be released in theaters first.
Roma was in theaters as well. Quite a few of there's have been.