"The Hurt Locker," Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
"Sherlock Holmes," Hans Zimmer
"Up," Michael Giacchino

ORIGINAL SONG
"Almost There" from "The Princess and the Frog" Randy Newman
"Down in New Orleans" from "The Princess and the Frog," Randy Newman
"Loin de Paname" from "Paris 36," Reinhardt Wagner and Frank Thomas
"Take It All" from "Nine," Maury Yeston
"The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)" from "Crazy Heart," Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

COSTUME
"Bright Star"
"Coco Before Chanel"
"The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"
"Nine"
"The Young Victoria"

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
"Burma VJ"
"The Cove"
"Food, Inc"
"The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers"
"Which Way Home"

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)
"China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province"
"The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner"
"The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant"
"Music by Prudence"
"Rabbit a la Berlin"

FILM EDITING
"Avatar"
"District 9"
"The Hurt Locker"
"Inglourious Basterds"
"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

MAKE-UP
"Il Divo"
"Star Trek"
"The Young Victoria"

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
"French Roast"
"Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty"
"The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte)"
"Logorama"
"A Matter of Loaf and Death"

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
"The Door"
"Instead of Abracadabra"
"Kavi"
"Miracle Fish"
"The New Tenants"

VISUAL EFFECTS
"Avatar"
"District 9"
"Star Trek"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Is it me is this a pretty weak year? Technical accomplishments aside, don't see Avatar due a Best Pic nod, extra nominations or not. Hope Hurt Locker cleans up, Crazy Heart hasn't been released yet but looking forward to seeing Bridges in it. Had hoped Rockwell get a mention for Moon

I am so sick and tired of always seeing Meryl Streep nominated.

What is it about her that really drives everyone wild? Sure, she's done a few good movies. I haven't seen Julie & Julia yet, or It's Complicated, but everytime I see that woman in a movie now, I just think, there's Meryl Streep again!

And no matter what it is, she gets nominated. It feels like it's mandatory to nominate her. I hope this is the last time we get another Meryl Streep nomination. Nothing against the woman, I just cannot understand it. It is like some fetish by always having her nominated -- too many people must see her as a dominatrix figure or something, 'cause she's always dominating the awards!

In the Beginning...
Is it me is this a pretty weak year? Technical accomplishments aside, don't see Avatar due a Best Pic nod, extra nominations or not. Hope Hurt Locker cleans up, Crazy Heart hasn't been released yet but looking forward to seeing Bridges in it. Had hoped Rockwell get a mention for Moon
Yeah, I think it's obvious the Academy is trying to go mainstream with its choices, particularly with so many nominations going to Inglorious Basterds. As much as I liked Avatar as a fun flick, I don't think it should have been nominated. I'd like to say it won't win, but hell, I don't know...

Sam Rockwell most certainly got snubbed, as did Moon itself. Where the Wild Things Are got snubbed on many counts; I was hoping to see Gandolfini swoop in with a Best Supporting nod. Likewise, The Fantastic Mr. Fox should have been recognized for more than just its animated style. I'm glad to see District 9 grab a Best Picture nom, but can't figure out why Neill Blomkamp wasn't nominated and Quentin Tarantino was.

Unless this is one of those years where they decide to give Oscars to people who don't deserve them.

I secretly hoped Anderson would pick up a Direction nom for Fox but not surprised he didn't. Still extremely underwhelmed

I am so sick and tired of always seeing Meryl Streep nominated.

What is it about her that really drives everyone wild? Sure, she's done a few good movies. I haven't seen Julie & Julia yet, or It's Complicated, but everytime I see that woman in a movie now, I just think, there's Meryl Streep again!

And no matter what it is, she gets nominated. It feels like it's mandatory to nominate her. I hope this is the last time we get another Meryl Streep nomination. Nothing against the woman, I just cannot understand it. It is like some fetish by always having her nominated -- too many people must see her as a dominatrix figure or something, 'cause she's always dominating the awards!
Do I even have to answer this. SHES AN EXCELLENT ACTRESS
Derrrrrrr
And yes you will see her nominated again!

Well, I would like to see Meryl Streep just completely fail for once. I want a Meryl Streep film where she does a TERRIBLE acting job! Can anybody think of one?

I'm not trying to be mean -- well, maybe I am a little -- I have nothing personally against this woman, but I'm just sick of her being nominated all the time.

Actually, I do have something against Meryl personally -- MAMMA MIA!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The House of the Spirits - she's hopelessly miscast. I couldn't stand her in The Hours either, but then again I couldn't stand anything about The Hours.

I wonder which films would have made it onto the Best Picture shortlist if they'd stuck to five films.
The general assumption is that the "real" five nominees are the ones that were also nominated in the Best Director category. So, in this case: Avatar, Precious, Inglourious Basterds, Up in the Air, and The Hurt Locker.

It does; I just consider pre-nomination news and speculation to be one topic, and reaction to the actual nominations to be another, just as we have threads for movies before they're released, and another after for the reviews.

Also, Holds has created this kind of thread for a few years running now, so it's kind of a mini-tradition.

I couldn't stand her in The Hours either, but then again I couldn't stand anything about The Hours.
I remember trying to watch that WAAAAAY back in 2004. For me, The Hours turned into The Hours I Slept.

Does anyone really give any of the actresses nominated with Sandra Bullock a chance? I think this is her 'Julia Roberts' year. In other words, this is the one time they can give her an Oscar for all the money she's made for Hollywood over the years.

It seems that Jeff Bridges is a lock for Best Actor, too.

I agree; I think all four of the acting categories have heavy, heavy favorites; Bullock, Bridges, Mo'Nique (I can't believe I have to type her name that way...), and Waltz.

You ready? You look ready.
Seriously? Not a single nod for The Road?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Is it fair for Avatar to be nominated in the category of best picture?

Shouldn't films that are mostly animated be limited to Best Animated Feature Film?

Also, that Sam Rockwell was not nominated for Moon or Duncan Jones for that matter says it all. The Oscars are all hype. It's all about who has their money invested.