Most Politically Correct Directors?

Tools    

It's funny you say this because I was just thinking, about an hour ago, about how I was handed this huge ****ing list of terms to not use and use others in place of them in essays and such when I arrived at the University Of Souther California in 1990. I was like, "What the **** is this?" And it was called "Politically Correct", without malice. It's actually what the people who were promoting it wanted to call it, not a term of derision.
Anyway, I remember getting really irritated, for whatever reason a 17 year-old white male does about **** that doesn't hurt him in any way, over learning that I was now supposed to call a "man-hole cover" a "person-hole cover". And for some reason, I really got pissy about this. I mean, like somehow this actually harmed me in some ****ing way. I don't know why it was really that particular term that bothered me, but I went on this whole thing with my professors about how it was actually called a man-hole so why wouldn't I just call it a ****ing man-hole cover?!!!
And I thought about it tonight as I watched something from the 1970s (actually an episode of The Electric Company) in which they referred to the "Weather-person" instead of the "Weatherman" and I was suddenly transported back to that time and that anger and wondered... "What the **** was I on about? Young men are just adorable."
This is actually the point I was trying to make this morning that I eventually abandoned. The idea that being asked to stop using a certain term is somehow taking something away from you.
example: "Black folks say the N-word all the time, so why can't I?" But you CAN use it, we're just telling you that everyone will think you're an A-hole whenever you do, so go for it. A-hole. I, as a non-racist person, have found this rule astoundingly easy to follow. It's like if someone decided "white folks shouldn't eat mud." Cool, I wasn't doing that anyway. Done.

A few months ago my baby-boomer aunt shared her outrage with Facebook over the news that Aunt Jemima was being retired. "PC Police are getting out of hand", "What's next?", and so on. This came as a shock to me because in all the years I've known her I was not aware of how passionate she was about her pancake mix, nor that she was so invested in this particular corporate mascot. Of course she was neither of those things in reality. She probably couldn't tell you what brand of pancake mix was in her kitchen right now if you asked her. And if Aunt Jemima had been replaced with a talking frog years ago she wouldn't have noticed. But the "you can't tell me what to do" mentality kicks in and suddenly she's boycotting a pancake mix that she may or may not have even bought in the past 10 years. So much unnecessary angst.

We’re all just a bunch of Slashers at the end of the day. If you think about it.

Because mah freedums!

Seriously, it's a ****in' mystery to me to. I'm like, "Oh that stings you? My bad, I don't love gettin' stung either." And that's it.
I will tell this story honestly here, realizing it is at my peril, but to reinforce your point which I could not agree with more: When I was coming up, calling someone "a fag" was commonplace and did not mean you were calling them gay in a derisive way or actually thought they were gay and wanted to say something hateful to them it meant you thought they were doing something really ****ing toolish and you were letting them know. That word got thrown out and I haven't used it in probably 25 years and I didn't really miss it. But I got to thinking about how that context of a particular type of toolishness really didn't have a word for it anymore and I was having dinner with a friend of mine who is gay and we were talking, as we always do, very openly about things and I said, "Ya know, I think now that it's been gone so long and all the venom should be out of it by now, maybe I'll bring the word 'fag' back like we used to use it in the day." And he got serious as a heart-attack for about 2 seconds and just said, "No you won't." And that was the end of that. Because I'm a ****ing grown-up. And when someone tells me, "Yo, that effects me and that **** ain't cool", that's the end of it. Ambiguously hurting other peoples' feelings for no reason is not the business I'm in. And I don't understand why it is for anyone else or why, even if they claim that's not their intent but they should have the RIGHT to or some ****, this is a hill to die on for some people.
My god-son turned into my god-daughter about a year and a half ago. He wanted to be called "she" now. Ya know what I call her? She. Cause that's what she wants and it doesn't hurt me a ****ing bit. Why is this a problem for like 40-50% of this country?
Sorry, rant over.
I think I told this story at Corrie, but in my quest to be the least popular person in my high school I decided that Lynyrd Skynyrd would be my favorite band in 1987. This meant that half of my wardrobe involved the Confederate flag. I somehow grew up in a majority-black city being completely unaware of the flag's racist connotations. Hard to believe, but true. One day a cool uncle that I admired pointed it out to me and I pretty much stopped cold turkey. No one had to tell me "Stop wearing that", I'm just a nice person that didn't like the idea of offending half the people I encountered in a given day.

Victim of The Night
This is actually the point I was trying to make this morning that I eventually abandoned. The idea that being asked to stop using a certain term is somehow taking something away from you.
example: "Black folks say the N-word all the time, so why can't I?" But you CAN use it, we're just telling you that everyone will think you're an A-hole whenever you do, so go for it. A-hole. I, as a non-racist person, have found this rule astoundingly easy to follow. It's like if someone decided "white folks shouldn't eat mud." Cool, I wasn't doing that anyway. Done.

A few months ago my baby-boomer aunt shared her outrage with Facebook over the news that Aunt Jemima was being retired. "PC Police are getting out of hand", "What's next?", and so on. This came as a shock to me because in all the years I've known her I was not aware of how passionate she was about her pancake mix, nor that she was so invested in this particular corporate mascot. Of course she was neither of those things in reality. She probably couldn't tell you what brand of pancake mix was in her kitchen right now if you asked her. And if Aunt Jemima had been replaced with a talking frog years ago she wouldn't have noticed. But the "you can't tell me what to do" mentality kicks in and suddenly she's boycotting a pancake mix that she may or may not have even bought in the past 10 years. So much unnecessary angst.
Dude. Your first paragraph. Exactly.

On Aunt Jemima.
Keep in mind, I am from The South. New Orleans (our home) was supposed to be the capital of The Confederate States Of America until they figured they might actually end up really being a sovereign nation and they wanted their capital to be close to the capital of The United States for political/economic reasons, or so the story goes.
I remember several years ago noticing that Aunt Jemima no longer had her head-wrap. And it struck me, like a train, "Holy ****, Aunt Jemima is some racist-ass ****." I mean, when I was a kid, there was no question she was a "mammy" and that was in the 1980s, not the 1920s or something. So they took the head-wrap off and gave her earrings and this was suddenly supposed to make the fact that they still had this mammy-character as their corporate mascot. I mean, I was like, "What the **** is going on here and how have I overlooked this my whole life?! No wonder Black people are still pissed off at the state of things (this was before we started seeing police and private citizens just murder black people on tv). And the fact is, that was not the first time they had "updated" ol' Aunt Jemima to at least be less of a disgrace than she had been for a hundred years. It just took us as a society, oh, I dunno, a century or so, to let go of our deeply ingrained racism (so deep I didn't even see it) and still, after 130 years of this, there are still people who think we're going too far by just getting rid of a racist stereotype from the Jim Crow days.
I mean, what will they take away from us next?!

I don't think the maple syrup Aunt Jemima was racist and I don't think that's why it was changed. It was changed because it's embarrassing to whites, as it reminds them of a time when blacks were slaves.

That and profit, going to a neutral package makes for less controversy for the company, which makes for more profit and less problems down the road.

This meant that half of my wardrobe involved the Confederate flag..

Lol, I was struck by the same terrible idea in highschool. Except I didn't listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I was in ****ing Toronto. So the excuses become even more hard to find.

I knew the confederate flag was something really uncool to wear at the time (anything in anyway related to country music in my neighbourhood was a social death knell), which is what the appeal was to me. But the racist element I never really considered. I have no idea why. Clearly I was dumb.

Likewise, I was in an extremely multi racial area and school, but somehow my fashion sense never seemed to cause even the slightest disturbance with anyone. The worst it got is one guy in my art class used to call me Stompin' Tom (as in Conners...it's a Canadian thing). A pretty mild attack considering where it would have gone today (and deservedly so)

And as a side note, of course there is only one photo of me in any of my highschool yearbooks. And that's what I've got on my head. My head bandana-brained in the confederacy. Defying the world to give me homework. At least you can't also see the cowboy boots I'm wearing. I wouldn't' want everyone I've ever known to have their brains burst with shame and embarrassment.

Victim of The Night
I think I told this story at Corrie, but in my quest to be the least popular person in my high school I decided that Lynyrd Skynyrd would be my favorite band in 1987. This meant that half of my wardrobe involved the Confederate flag. I somehow grew up in a majority-black city being completely unaware of the flag's racist connotations. Hard to believe, but true. One day a cool uncle that I admired pointed it out to me and I pretty much stopped cold turkey. No one had to tell me "Stop wearing that", I'm just a nice person that didn't like the idea of offending half the people I encountered in a given day.
Dude. Exactly.
I grew up in the exact same way in the same city, and it just took some folks, when I was in college explaining to me how it meant something to them and that something wasn't nuttin' nice as we say down here (and that's a whole story, there), and that was the end of that flag for me.
And I was not harmed by this change. None of my freedoms were lost. My First Amendment rights were not violated. I just grew the **** up and did the right thing and it wasn't hard and I didn't need a pat on the back for it and in the end it was no big deal at all, it just faded from my life because, as you say, I'm not an as5hole.

I knew the confederate flag was something really uncool to wear at the time, which is what the appeal was to me (being super lame and as undesirable as possible), but the racist element I never really considered. I have no idea why. Clearly I was dumb.
Yes, exactly. At my school the cool kids were preppies and the outcasts were into metal. Metal wasn't uncool enough for my (one) friend and I so we decided Southern Rock would be the most efficient friend-repellent.

Victim of The Night
I don't think the maple syrup Aunt Jemima was racist and I don't think that's why it was changed. It was changed because it's embarrassing to whites, as it reminds them of a time when blacks were slaves.

That and profit, going to a neutral package makes for less controversy for the company, which makes for more profit and less problems down the road.
Just to clarify, you don't think it was changed because it was racist or you don't think it was racist?
And I would say that even if it was changed because it was embarrassing to whites, it was embarrassing to whites because it's racist and a whole lot of whites are kinda embarrassed about that.

Just to clarify, you don't think it was changed because it was racist or you don't think it was racist?
And I would say that even if it was changed because it was embarrassing to whites, it was embarrassing to whites because it's racist and a whole lot of whites are kinda embarrassed about that.
Both. I don't think it was racist, but it was racially insensitive, which is a different thing. Real racism would be defined by the belief or actions that one's race is superior to another race and usually involves hatred or mistrust of another race.

I think the packing was embarrassing to whites (and embarrassing to the company) because it reminds them of past racism (slavery). And it was changed for increasing profits. As any product deemed racist will have less sales.

Just for the record I do think the company should have changed it, I just think their motives were mostly self serving. Which is fine for them to be self serving as they are a capitalist company.

Dude. Exactly.
I grew up in the exact same way in the same city, and it just took some folks, when I was in college explaining to me how it meant something to them and that something wasn't nuttin' nice as we say down here (and that's a whole story, there), and that was the end of that flag for me.
And I was not harmed by this change. None of my freedoms were lost. My First Amendment rights were not violated. I just grew the **** up and did the right thing and it wasn't hard and I didn't need a pat on the back for it and in the end it was no big deal at all, it just faded from my life because, as you say, I'm not an as5hole.
Right, and it's important to stress that I was 17 and this was pretty much my IDENTITY. This was the equivalent of a Goth kid throwing out his trench coat and eyeliner. Like, what am I supposed to wear now? And I wasn't even confronted about it ever, it's all because my uncle made a joke like, "Don't wear that shirt on So-and-so Street" (a black neighborhood). I asked why, he explained, and I felt like a d--k and stopped wearing the stuff.

Both. I don't think it was racist, but it was racially insensitive, which is a different thing. Real racism would be defined by the belief or actions that one's race is superior to another race and usually involves hatred or mistrust of another race.

I think the packing was embarrassing to whites (and embarrassing to the company) because it reminds them of past racism (slavery). And it was changed for increasing profits. As any product deemed racist will have less sales.

Just for the record I do think the company should have changed it, I just think their motives were mostly self serving. Which is fine for them to be self serving as they are a capitalist company.
I'm less interested in why they made the change than in why the change threw my aunt into such a seething rage about something that has little to no effect on her life.

Ha! Ouch. Point taken.
It wasn't a specific jab at anyone. It's just interesting that some people will act as if language/terminology isn't a big deal in one context, but will burn the house down if you're not on the same page as them in a different context.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I live in a black majority city, and never found the appeal of using epithets. Is that the ultimate problem for whites? "They get to say it, but not me?" sounds like a baby who needs a nap. Almost half of the people who come over are black, but we've never talked about race.

Also, it was the studios doing the blacklisting, after the HUAC hearings. People went to prison for perjury, but if they didn't name names, the studios fired them outright, or would let their contract run out. Many went from movies to television.

And I have absolutely no idea what the military budget has to do with any of this.

You know what its for, BAIT for a flame war.
(gets flamethrower ready)

Sorry, continue with your reasoned arguments gentlemen and ladies.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
When it comes to documentaries, one of my favorite movies of all time is Sicko. But my friend doesn't like it because she thought it was too biased and picked a side, instead of remaining neutral and objective. But isn't a documentary more powerful when it picks a side and has a passion there, rather than just sticking to both sides and being neutral?