Superman: Man of Steel

Tools    

More news in: Michael Shannon who is playing General Zod has gone on record as saying Zod is a "Badass MoFo"
Zod in the new movie is completely different to how many are expecting. He's definitely not Terrence Stamp.

Amy Adams who is playing Lois Lane in this film has also let slip that at one point she gets to use a "Lazer Tazer thing"

There's also rumours of Kryptonian weapons making a show on Earth when Zod shows up.

Yoda's definitely right though with his last post... the new Superman, as I've said in the past as well, is more of a torn soul stuck between whether or not he should use his powers to save us. Are we worthy of saving and are we worth his time and effort?

He's also feared by humans which, if rumours are true, leads to a fight between him and the Military... making more confusion for the Man Of Steel as to whether he should really care for us or not.

An interview released today with Man Of Steel writer David S Goyer.

Interviewer: "You are quite good at writing two kinds of stories: fantasy completely original stories, with a supernatural aspect, and also adaptations (especially from comic-books) that you reinvent in an original way. We know you're working on a new comic-book adaptation, a DC Comics adaptation. What does this work have in common with you previous works?"

David Goyer: "Are we talking about Man of Steel? What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is trying to bring the same naturalistic approach that we used adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want out stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It's not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn't necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would have the presence of Superman in the real world? What I really like to do is writing "genre" stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci's Demons, and I'll do the same with Man of Steel."

Henry Cavill plays Superman in the June 14, 2013 release. Amy Adams stars as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane, and Laurence Fishburne as her editor-in-chief, Perry White. Starring as Clark Kent's adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, are Diane Lane and Kevin Costner.

Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Michael Shannon, and Faora, Zod's evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman's native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman's mother, played by Ayelet Zurer, and Superman's father, Jor-El, portrayed by Russell Crowe. Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy.

Ben Child's Blog with The Guardian on Friday 5th Oct.

Some might say it's a strange old time to be making a Superman film. Three years ago, when fledgling details of Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's Man of Steel first began to emerge, The Dark Knight had just changed the face of comic book movies by driving all before it at the box office with a steely, noir-edged take that seemed to suggest spandex and power rings might have had their day. It was no surprise that the new take on Superman looked set to mirror Batman in his next celluloid outing, even if few had ever imagined Kal-El as the stern, haunted and driven type.
  1. Man of Steel
  2. Production year: 2012
  3. Directors: Zack Snyder
  4. Cast: Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe
  5. More on this film
Unfortunately, in 2012 the comic-book movie landscape looks somewhat different. The Avengers, not The Dark Knight Rises, has been the year's biggest film. Joss Whedon's multi-character flick found a fresh, postmodern comedic way to engage audiences which owes very little to Nolan's movies. If there's one thing worse than the idea of a moody Superman, it's a wise-cracking Superman, so we should perhaps count our lucky stars that Whedon wasn't hired earlier by Marvel Studios, yet next year's Man of Steel still has the feel of a project arriving out of time. Consider the US box-office failure last month of Pete Travis and Alex Garland's extremely furrow-browed Dredd, a stylish, no-nonsense, visceral blast of a movie, yet one clearly forged in the light of The Dark Knight's earlier success. With Batman presumably due in a few years at the multiplexes, it may just be a long, long while until we see another "dark" superhero film breaking box-office records.
Could that be why David S Goyer, the Dark Knight and Man of Steel co-writer who first persuaded Nolan to come on board as "godfather" to the latter project, is suddenly making noises to the effect that the new Superman won't be dark at all? "Christopher Nolan and I have been trying to bring the naturalism of the Batman trilogy," Goyer said earlier this week at the Rome fiction festival, where he was promoting his new television series Da Vinci's Demons. "Our approach has always been naturalist, realistic; we always try to imagine these stories as if they could happen in the same world in which we live. It is not an easy thing with Superman, and this does not necessarily mean that it will be a dark film, but in working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this really happened.
"How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman in the real world have? What I like to do are stories set in 'genres' which, however, are not cartoons, or comics. I did the same thing with Da Vinci's Demons, and I will do the same with The Man of Steel."
Of course, Nolan and Snyder were not the ones who put the "dark" label on the new Superman movie. Rather, it is a phrase bloggers have used to describe the film in the wake of a low-key, pomp-free trailer and shots of British actor Henry Cavill wearing a Supes costume that appears to have been through the wash a few times too many. Perhaps realistic does not mean dark, but there is a definite sense that Man of Steel is plumping for a less obviously exuberant take on the most famous comic book myth of them all.
Personally, I'm inclined to give Nolan and Goyer the benefit of the doubt, not least because their approach has a certain freshness about it. We should also bear in mind that the movie's ability to enrapture and enchant is not going to be entirely dependent on its first five minutes. A Superman film with a more naturalistic origins story ought to give Snyder extra room for manoeuvre when it comes to the razzmatazz further down the line. On first watching Batman Begins, I remember thinking Nolan's occasionally doleful first film about the caped crusader was a little underwhelming in comparison to some of the earlier big screen iterations. Yet in the intervening years, I've come to far prefer it to any of the Tim Burton or (God forbid) Joel Schumacher entries in the canon.
If Nolan wants to give us a Man of Steel whose youth is largely spent in tedious manual-labour employment in cold parts of north America (as he appears to be in the trailer), then so be it, provided this is ultimately contrasted with Kal-El's joyous transformation into Superman later on. The DC Comic book character is supposed to be a life-affirming embodiment of hope for mankind, a crystallisation of all that is good in the human spirit, ironically enshrined in the form of an alien from another planet. There's no way he's going to be bumming around Maine for the whole movie, but maybe in these difficult times he needs to know how that feels in order to get under the skin of the human condition.
It's easy to forget that Superman was conceived at the height of the Great Depression and debuted at the start of the second world war. In terms of recent history, you don't get times much "darker" than those. Perhaps in adopting an approach that notes the grim and precarious nature of life for many Americans in the 21st century, Nolan and Goyer are not straying quite so far from the orthodox path after all.

Some interesting stuff there.

My thoughts on the new look Supe...

Dark, brooding, real.

It can only be a good thing.
Childs has hit quite a point too... is the darker version of superheroes getting out of date already? Especially with the lighter and more humourous Avengers outweighing the darker and dingier The Dark Knight Rises this year?

I'd say not...

Looking over the years with films gone by, my own personal way of thinking is that the darker movies tend to stand out more than those that were more brightly coloured and neon lit.

Look at the original Batman films compared with Schumacher's take on the franchise... and even Alien 3 compared to the first two Alien films. Ok, the original two Alien movies were dark, but the tone of Alien 3 wasn't accepted by fans at the start... I admit, I didn't like it either, but as years have progressed, I've come to love Alien 3 just as much as the first two... if not more (*I'm now preparing to duck from everyone's abuse now*).

Man Of Steel has been labelled as 'dark' not by the filmmakers, but by Fanboys and Bloggers (pointed out by Childs, above), and I can only hope that it is darker than the previous screen-outings of Superman.

It'll add a fresher turn of events for The Supe and comparing it to the various Batman movies is wrong in my eyes... Batman has already been seen as dark and mysterious back the late 80s and was hard for some fans to accept due to the concept of The Bat no longer having cheesey dialogue and a lycra suit failing to hide a beer-gut...

... Nolan basically tweeked that darker brooding idea and added a realistic tone and background. They were awesome films for sure, but it's an idea that over time, was accepted by the populous after Burton's original take.

This new look of Superman has never been seen on screen before... only occasionally in the comics... so is this the Burton version of Batman replaying itself through Snyder, Goyer and Nolan?...an idea that fans are dubious about but will fall in love with as time goes on?
Could this more realistic tone for everybody's favourite Man Of Steel be the future?

I sincerely hope so... as long as the movie is a good'un then it's definitely about time Superman was updated, tweeked, reimagined (in a loyal way, of course) and brought into the modern world... a real world...

... a world without dippy weather changing satellites and supervillains with perfectly combed radioactive mullet hairstyles.
In saying that though, could this new take be another product of its time like Superman 3 & 4?
Again, I kinda hope so... just without the cheese.

so freakin' pumped for this!

An adjusted version of the Comicon trailer... somebody has edited the screen so it's more clear than the original footage.
It's still a bit fuzzy and the crowd noises are still there but it's a darn sight better than what it was.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I really enjoyed that trailer. Consider me officially excited.

Suspect's Reviews

Niiiice! More news on Man Of Steel:

For a start, I've seen Iron Man and Iron Man 2, I've also seen the 3 million versions of Hulk that have been churned out over the past 6 months...

... I haven't seen Thor or Captain America though, mainly through not realising they were part of the tie-in market of The Avengers when they first came out in cinemas...

... but I have seen The Avengers and was disappointed that yet another Hulk was in the movie. Even though Avengers' Hulk was better than the past ones.

All this marketing ploy of connecting movies together to make ensemble superhero movies like Avengers and The Justice League might be all fun and games, but it's still a money making ploy for me...

... and having the new Superman, a superhero that is extremely dear to my heart, become yet another money spinner for more and more cashed in sequels and movie tie-ins would be, for me, more than disappointing.

However the good news is, the new Supe is a stand alone, like Nolan's new Batman Trilogy.
Also, would the new take on Supe actually work with this new ploy of tying movies together? Well, just like the new Batpants, no it wouldn't...

... this new Realistic Escapism (a phrase I coined in a recent thread on this forum) that seems to be laced throughout cinema recently would certainly not work in a world like The Avengers'.

It's a thought that has been running through my mind since I first heard of Superman being rebooted... will they do a dippy tie-in franchise and use the new Superman as a jumping off point to reboot all sorts of heroes to make The Justice League a possibility?

Turns out no... this Man Of Steel is one of a kind...

... and I was glad.

The news from November 2011, posted by akatemple at the end of page 11 of this thread says that the writers have may already been working on a sequel to Man Of Steel but, as akatemple said, it sounds a bit premature to be true...

... news from the frontline (Snyder) as of November 2012, is that sequel plans aren't happening... he's gone on record as saying they are taking things one day at a time and are holding back plans as it's too early to look at the future of Superman just yet. They haven't even finished filming the first one...

Ok... around up on the news I have posted over the past few months on Man Of Steel...

The movie is being made in IMAX, not in 3D at all. Nolan, a stalwart hater of 3D said so himself.

The Comicon trailer had fans crying... I have seen the trailer and it looks rather good.

The effects department, as with Nolan's Batfilms, have kept effects as practical as possible. CGI is kept off to one side and used only when really needed.
More realism being added to the movie is storyline, layout, look and plot... also as with Nolan's Batfilms, it's being kept as real as possible.

A sizeable chunk of the film is set on Krypton and will have a showdown between General Zod (Michael Shannon) and Jor El (Russell Crowe)... setting up the feud in detail, that movies of the past never really showed in full.

The character of Zod's leather-clad squeeze Ursa, played by Sarah Douglas in Superman The Movie and Superman 2 has been returned to her original self as the character called Faora, now played by Antje Traue.

Supes (Henry Cavill) will be an outcast and a loner... and will spend a chunk of the film at odds with Human authorities, namely the Military, travelling the globe as Clark trying to find his purpose on Earth and what he should do with his powers... good things, or bad things...

Lois Lane (Amy Adams) is rumoured to not be just a typical damsel in distress, she's rumoured to be hands-on when the trouble starts and has been said at some point to get her hands on possible Kryptonian weaponry.

Michael Shannon has said his General Zod is not Terrence Stamp but is a "Badass MoFo".

Man Of Steel will not be a Superman that is viable for use in a Justice League movie.

As my last post said, director Snyder has quashed rumours of there being a sequel already in teh writing stage, it's just too early.

WARNING: "Man Of Steel" spoilers below
There may be a secret villain in the movie as yet to be officially revealed... Black Zero... who was revealed in the comics as the one secretly responsible for destroying Krypton.

---

New news I haven't posted yet is that relatives of Superman's creators have lost a court battle for the rights to the franchise.
Warner Brothers bought the rights years back fair and square, and the relatives of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster thought this was unfair... the courts didn't think so though.
If the creator's families had won, Man Of Steel may have needed to be cancelled. Close call really, as this court case ended only a couple of weeks ago...

Exactly, it's not as if they're short of a bob or two... Siegel and Shuster would have got a huge settlement anyway and royalties too that their relatives have been living off for the past few decades already... it's just seeing it as a case of Superman is huge again and they want a bigger cut.

New in is that General Zod won't be muttering "Kneel before Zod" in the new movie... Michael Shannon said so himself.

Ok, bit of dampener in the news department... Christopher Nolan's previous statement about not making the movie in the 3D Scam format has been reversed by the studios... it's to be released in the IMAX format, as planned from the very start, but has now been slated as a 3D film as well.

Looks like the poxy studios have more power than Christopher Nolan after all.

Bad form... really bad form.

I'm actually considering not seeing this now until it comes out on a sale price in the DVD shop.

Right, after all my reports and updating from the past x amount of months on my most anticipated movie ever, and I mean ever, even over The Dark Knight Rises, this news about 3D has killed my enthusiasm completely...

So after about 30 seconds of deliberating with my thoughts, I'm boycotting this thread and the movie and waiting for the DVD to appear at a sale price.

Yes, this is how much I despise the notion of 3D, I'm making a personal stand...

Oh, I can't wait for this man, thirteen years in this world and I'm looking for a fresh new superman ultimate reboot. They say this one is gonna be from the very beginning?

Really looking forward to this movie, I hope it's not another Superman Returns......

super excited for this, I have hopes for it to be better than the last Spiderman

I will not be watching this film if it's released in 3D either. Three-dimensional films make me pass out pretty soon after the glasses are on and the movie starts, the two times that this has happened I did not have to pay for a ticket, I'm lucky in that sense, but it has made me realise that it's not worth the cost.

From the information that has been posted already, excluding the mention of 3D, I am looking forward to its release! In fact, I am going to go look up more information and check out all the stars that will be involved.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm sure you can watch in 2D. Only the trashiest films are 3D only.