Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Perfect Blue (Japan 1997)
Cannot technically call this a rewatch since I haven't seen it since it first came out and never in its entirety.
A psychological thriller that truly does not let you know what the f@ck just happened - and THAT actually entices, not frustrates. Bringing you back around for a series of rewatches to make your own theories.
I'll be rewatching this soon as well. Just gotta force myself to finish the damn 12th HOF and then I'll watch this. Probably this weekend.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll be rewatching this soon as well. Just gotta force myself to finish the damn 12th HOF and then I'll watch this. Probably this weekend.
Having a bit of a hard time wrapping things up as well. I've gotten two films from my library TWICE and was unable to get to them each time! UGH

That After Hours rating saddens me.
if it's any conciliation; it saddened me quite a bit too

Having a bit of a hard time wrapping things up as well. I've gotten two films from my library TWICE and was unable to get to them each time!
I'm just really not liking most of the nominations and it's making me lose my motivation to watch more. The only one I really liked that I hadn't previously seen was Man From Nowhere, and it's probably going to get disqualified since Royale went AWOL.

I only have Sanshiro Sugata left though.

Vertigo -
+

Rewatched this for Sean's thread. So perfect, it may be my favourite film. Will post my write-up when Sean opens the thread. Posted this in the Sci-Fi Countdown by accident

A Cure For Wellness (2017)

I actually haven't watched any of Verbinski's horror films, which seem to get the most praise, in terms of his filmography, so I didn't know what to expect. But, I'm a fan of his action/adventure films, like Pirates of the Caribbean, Rango, and The Lone Ranger, so I was actually looking forward to it. This is a very well shot movie, and it looks great, just like the movies mentioned, but in a more minimal, less busy way that this one doesn't call for. It's also bonkers. Part gonzo social commentary, part dark fantasy, part psychological horror, it's all over the place, but in an enjoyable way. I've heard some mild comparisons to some other movies, like The Shining, which I understand, it uses it seemingly horror shell as an outline, but does it's own thing, it definitely has it's own identity, though

It definitely delivers some scares, those really uncomfortable ones that really make you squirm in your seat. I feel like in a few instances they go out of their way to make it grimey when it sometimes doesn't call for it, but other than that it's all pretty effective. The acting is decent, Jason Isaacs is the best player there, he's an effective creep. I've always looked forward to seeing Dane DeHaan ever since I saw him in Chronicle, and he starts out as this guy you love to hate, but slowly I caught on to the fact that he's not really that interesting. He plays the kind of character that they wrote specifically to reform at the end to go along with the theme of the movie.

The third act is both the best, and worst part of the whole movie. It does a good job of wrapping things up, and it's where Verbinski really lets the absurdity run wild, but it can sometimes be a bit much, and I think some of it can betray the film's vague meanings, and themes with the way it's handled.

Overall, it's a good time. It's one of those movies that'll be fun to rewatch just to make sense of all of it's nuttiness, and to come up with your own conclusions. It's long, and it probably could've been shortened, but one thing it's definitely not is uninteresting.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A Cure For Wellness (2017)

I actually haven't watched any of Verbinski's horror films, which seem to get the most praise, in terms of his filmography, so I didn't know what to expect. But, I'm a fan of his action/adventure films, like Pirates of the Caribbean, Rango, and The Lone Ranger, so I was actually looking forward to it. This is a very well shot movie, and it looks great, just like the movies mentioned, but in a more minimal, less busy way that this one doesn't call for. It's also bonkers. Part gonzo social commentary, part dark fantasy, part psychological horror, it's all over the place, but in an enjoyable way. I've heard some mild comparisons to some other movies, like The Shining, which I understand, it uses it seemingly horror shell as an outline, but does it's own thing, it definitely has it's own identity, though

It definitely delivers some scares, those really uncomfortable ones that really make you squirm in your seat. I feel like in a few instances they go out of their way to make it grimey when it sometimes doesn't call for it, but other than that it's all pretty effective. The acting is decent, Jason Isaacs is the best player there, he's an effective creep. I've always looked forward to seeing Dane DeHaan ever since I saw him in Chronicle, and he starts out as this guy you love to hate, but slowly I caught on to the fact that he's not really that interesting. He plays the kind of character that they wrote specifically to reform at the end to go along with the theme of the movie.

The third act is both the best, and worst part of the whole movie. It does a good job of wrapping things up, and it's where Verbinski really lets the absurdity run wild, but it can sometimes be a bit much, and I think some of it can betray the film's vague meanings, and themes with the way it's handled.

Overall, it's a good time. It's one of those movies that'll be fun to rewatch just to make sense of all of it's nuttiness, and to come up with your own conclusions. It's long, and it probably could've been shortened, but one thing it's definitely not is uninteresting.
I definitely get a Shutter Island vibe from this one, but everything I've heard about it has been terrible. It bombed pretty hard at the box office this past weekend, so I doubt I'll see it in theatres.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User

The Lodger (1927)

A Jack the ripper type serial killer is on the loose targeting young blond-haired females. When a mysterious figure takes tenancy at her property, a landlady soon suspects that this could be him.

Incredible early Hitchcock that contains recurring theme on innocence and guilt. Tense atmosphere throughout and suspense created like only Hitch can do. For a movie that is now 90 years old its incredible how ahead of its time this was. In particular, the shot of the hand shown on the bannister whilst descending the stairs is out of this world.

+

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I Am Not a Serial Killer (2016)

Cool and original. Another indie film watching experience pays off. Good fit for Lloyd. I finally found "Lydia" from Breaking Bad. Loved the panda mask and all the intensity. Max Records is excellent.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	panda.png
Views:	421
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	29018