Westerns

Tools    

I'm basically looking for some great Westerns to watch, after how blown away I was after watching Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (which you may've noticed made its way into my top 10). I really want to see some more Westerns, so far I've seen 'The Man With No Name' series, Unforgiven, and a few of Eastwood's other Westerns.

A few I would recommend are:

Once Upon a Time in the West
The Magnificent Seven

And if you haven't seen The Outlaw Josey Wales I highly recommend it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Stacks of good old westerns: Pretty much anything 1940's, 1950's and 1960's from these lists and many others besides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_films

It's very rare that I come across a western film I don't like. Don't forget the TV series too. I picked up Rawhide cheap off of ioffer site and am up to episode 175 (out of 217) and not one bad episode yet.

Check out some of the existing threads on the topic of Westerns, like THIS ONE and THIS ONE.

If Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid floats your boat I'd suggest maybe starting with The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), The Professionals (1966) or Silverado (1985). Then if you're still diggin' the genre start goin' a little deeper.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Don't forget the comedies: Evil Roy Slade, Paint Your Wagon, Blazing Saddles, Support Your Local Sheriff, Support Your Local Gunfighter, etc.

Check out some of the existing threads on the topic of Westerns, like THIS ONE and THIS ONE.

If Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid floats your boat I'd suggest maybe starting with The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), The Professionals (1966) or Silverado (1985). Then if you're still diggin' the genre start goin' a little deeper.
I've been meaning to see The Outlaw Josey Wales because Eastwood is my all-time favorite actor. The Professionals and Silverado look pretty interesting as well.

The best western ever.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lots of great choices there. I don't think you've seen Little Big Man yet. I also love One-Eyed Jacks, Red River, Dances With Wolves, and Barbarosa. Even though it's set in the 1920s, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a western in both form and content. Many of the members here could list hundreds upon hundreds more crackerjack westerns. I remember my grandma saying that she liked all movies except westerns, and she said it was because too many people got shot, but I figured it was because it reminded her of when she was a little girl (she was born in 1890).

If The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is classified as a western, it would be a tight race between that film and The Wild Bunch, for me at least. I love that flick.

Semper Fooey
Scalphunters

SPOILER WARNING: This is a great scene, but it comes at the end, just another minute or two to go. Looks better in full screen mode.

One of the best and certainly the most realistic Westerns depicting actual cowboys and their way of life is Monty Walsh. The Wild West of unfenced plains and cattle drives up from Texas only lasted 2-3 decades--well within one lifetime--and was pretty much gone by the 1890s. Walsh captures the sunset of that West when the big ranchs were owned and fenced by British corporations, range cattle froze in horrific winter northeners, and the whole cattle industry was in transit from open range to feed lots. Some cowboys out of work tried to make the transition to store keeper and some with nothing else to do but run with bad company drifted into crime. Monty Walsh captures that reality and spirit. On the other end, Red River looks at the start of the cowboy era. Another good film that captures life on the trail is Cowboy in which Jack Lemmon plays a real person, a Chicago hotel clerk who bought into a cattle herd and worked as a cowhand in the drive north. In the process, the real clerk learned that cowboying isn't as romantic as books and films show it.

A good Western more in the Hollywood tradition with shootouts and such is Shane in that it shows fairly authentically the clash between the big ranchers who have grazed their cattle on public lands so long that they think they own it and the small farmers who come later and try to settle that land. The local "town" where both do business is just a widespot in the road, and the hired killers representing both sides are icy cold in their deadly actions. Another good example of land feuds that were frequent in the Old West is The Big Country in which Gregory Peck plays a owner-captain of a sailing ship who comes West to marry the daughter of a big rancher after they met back east. Like Shane, The Big Country has one of the most realistic fist-fights ever filmed. And there's some shooting, too.

If you want to see what it was really like between the settlers on the Texas frontier and deadly Kiowas and Comanches they fought, then you need to see The Searchers and The Unforgiven (starring Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn). There was a deep, enduring hatred between the Texans on the western frontier and the Indian tribes of that area that is very well depicted in both of these films.

there's a frog in my snake oil
On the off-kilter humour side, always had a soft spot for Judge Roy Bean...

I am guessing you meant Monte Walsh.. I have seen bits of the remake.
I am guessing I can't spell Monte. Selleck's (probably misspelled that too, but wtf) remake actually wasn't bad. Wasn't any different so I'm not sure why a remake was necessary since the original is not all that old, plus starring both Lee Marvin and Jack Palance and some gifted character actors who are hard to beat.

(I figured Monty was short for Montgomery, a moniker no cowhand would want to be branded with. Guess Monte could be short for something, too--like "3-Card-Monte" Walsh )