Elliot Page comes out as transgender

Tools    

So saaaad

You should be even more happy if anyone finds you attractive!
Ha, I think, ironically, that’s more easily achieved. Someone in the office was watching a rerun of some Sia performance yesterday, and she said, ‘There are fans of all kinds of feet.’

Ha, I think, ironically, that’s more easily achieved. Someone in the office was watching a rerun of some Sia performance yesterday, and she said, ‘There are fans of all kinds of feet.’
I posted a photo of Sia in the “name the musician” thread here this week. Nobody had a clue who she is.

I posted a photo of Sia in the “name the musician” thread here this week. Nobody had a clue who she is.
Ouch. That’s not entirely warranted, surely? The lady rocks!

There’s a singer often compared to her called LP (Laura Pergolizzi). She’s a much better singer and not a single human being has heard of her, either.

There’s a singer often compared to her called LP (Laura Pergolizzi). She’s a much better singer and not a single human being has heard of her, either.
That would include me.

Does gaydar apply to females? (Aside from the ones with crew cuts, that is?)
Gaydar applies to everyone and everything

Eh, as a fan of old music, I don’t mind at all

That damn patriarchy. So damn crafty. Oppress woman by stealing their roles. Trick lesbians by marrying them. Job well done Elliot.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

That seems to be a case of rapid-onset gender dysphoria: when a teenager or young adult woman, typically lesbian, is socially influenced to identify as trans.* The logic is, well if you are a lesbian then instead of being part of the super oppressed group of lesbian women it's better to identify as a straight man and enjoy the benefits of heterosexual male privilege.

Obviously, being attracted to an attractive woman who later decides to identify as a man doesn't make you gay. Sexual attraction is related to biological sex not to gender identity.

*Unlike sexual orientation or biological sex, research shows that gender identity is a social construct so a person can choose how they would like to identify and this choice can vary over time.

That seems to be a case of rapid-onset gender dysphoria: when a teenager or young adult woman, typically lesbian, is socially influenced to identify as trans.* The logic is, well if you are a lesbian then instead of being part of the super oppressed group of lesbian women it's better to identify as a straight man and enjoy the benefits of heterosexual male privilege.

*Unlike sexual orientation or biological sex, research shows that gender identity is a social construct so a person can choose how they would like to identify and this choice can vary over time.
(emphasis added)

I’m confused. On the one hand, you say the woman is “socially influenced”, but, on the other hand, you say she can choose her identity.

That seems to be a case of rapid-onset gender dysphoria
Says who? His statement seems to imply this has been something he was working through for a while. Also: most people with gender dysphoria aren't just dropping that in casual conversation. You have no idea how long he may have been grappling with gender identity.

when a teenager or young adult woman, typically lesbian, is socially influenced to identify as trans.* The logic is, well if you are a lesbian then instead of being part of the super oppressed group of lesbian women it's better to identify as a straight man and enjoy the benefits of heterosexual male privilege.
Whose logic? Do you have actual examples of transmen who are like, "Yup, had enough of being a lesbian and decided to turn in my girl card for some of that sweet, sweet male privilege!"

I know plenty of lesbians and plenty of trans people, including a childhood best friend and also a cousin who are transmen. Never once have a heard a lesbian express that just "identifying as a straight man" would make their lives easier. And none of the transmen I know see it as some "all access pass". If anything, being openly transgender (transman or transwoman) makes their lives harder and a lot more dangerous, not easier.

Most of the lesbians I know who are tired of the woman-coded stuff tend to lean more toward identifying as non-binary, not trans.

There have, of course, historically been many women who have chosen to present as men in order to access spaces or opportunities they would have been denied as women. But all the Mulans of history were not transgender.

I know this is a big ask, but let's try to stick to the acting side of things. I recognize this topic, in particular, makes drawing that line tricky, but we can at least decide not to jump into the political side with both feet. And I don't know if we're missing much, anyway, if it's going to come down to dueling anecdotes.

For unusually borderline topics like this, the "no arguing politics" rule will ultimately be enforced one of two ways:
1) Everybody makes a good faith effort to pull back a bit when things become more political.
2) I have to shut down meaningful discussions super early because nobody does #1.
I prefer #1, personally.

You ready? You look ready.
Re acting: It's going to be interesting to see what roles they chose to play going forward. Kinda shoehorned themselves into a pickle with Umbrella Academy, so it will also be interesting to see how that gets handled.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

If someone persuades you to do something it can be simultaneously true that you were influenced and that you chose.
True, but I perceived (maybe incorrectly) a negative connotation in socially influenced.