underrated movies

Tools    

fbi
I love rocky movies and am appalled by how many people hate rocky 5.

I saw it when i was 12 and loved it then. seen it many times recently and still love it. Hey, its not the best movie ever but Its not the worst as many people make it out to be.

My friend was persuaded to see it again recently and he changed his mind. What do u guys think? please see it again and u will know what i mean.

another underrated movie is unbreakable by m night shyamalan.

A system of cells interlinked
Unbreakable isn't underrated, at all. It's highly regarded for the most part, and I know quite a few members on this site consider it a favorite. On Rotten Tomatoes, a data mining site that collects newspaper reviews, it clocks in at about 70% positive reviews, far from being underrated, even by the critics. I for one love Unbreakable.

That said, in the future, please use the search function on the site before creating a thread, as this subject has already been covered numerous times.

Click Here

or, for other "underrated" subjects, such as actors, directors etc, click here.

I saw it when i was 12 and loved it then. seen it many times recently and still love it. Hey, its not the best movie ever but Its not the worst as many people make it out to be.

My friend was persuaded to see it again recently and he changed his mind. What do u guys think? please see it again and u will know what i mean.
Before Rocky Balboa came out, I had a bit of free time on my hands, so I decided to watch all five Rocky movies leading up to it. Rocky V is the only one I didn't finish. I like the premise, actually, but just found it incredibly dull.

I'll have to agree with Sedai on this one; it was criminally underrated for awhile, but has since become one of those films that is referred to as underrated often enough that it isn't any more, if you follow. It took awhile, but I think Unbreakable is properly recognized today by a fair number of cinephiles.

I think the main complaint I heard about Unbreakable was that it "wasn't as good as The Sixth Sense", which isn't saying it's a bad film, but just that it wasn't as impressive as the then massively popular supernatural thriller.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
For me the thing about unbreakable was the lack of emotion in the characters, particularly the lead. It made the whole film feel leaden to me.

For me the thing about unbreakable was the lack of emotion in the characters, particularly the lead. It made the whole film feel leaden to me.
Lack of emotion? Willis was FANTASTIC in his role, which was chock full of emotion. This tormented, lost man is mesmerizing in his subtle desperation. I do not agree, at all. Everyone was so great in this film, especially Willis...

You want to talk about underrated films? Look no further than Ang Lee's Hulk . Talk a film that's as underappreciated as my girlfriend's cooking. I thought it was quite a beautiful film and particularly liked the idea of a psycho drama combined with a comic book twist. To say that Ang Lee was brave is the ultimate understatement.

Really and truly, Hulk trailers kind of tricked it's audience into thinking it was going to be another big and dumb summer blockbuster film, but, of course, it turned out to be something much more cerebral, therefore, I can understand why people were a bit puzzled by the film and why it didn't make the money it was predicted to make.

Not only was the film underrated, but the effects were too. People saying that the actual Hulk looked too cartoonish and ****, but these are the same people who gave a passing card to fricken' Spiderman, Superman Returns and King bleedin' Kong.

Lovely comic style editing techniques from Ang, and the first time that had been done on screen. Funny how people over looked that.

Yeah, like Shawshank Redemption, I think Ang Lee's Hulk will be considered a masterpiece in a few years.

Didn't much care for The Hulk. The completely trashed the character, and tacked on some sappy Father/Son rift that was so "After School Special."

Kong looked great, btw.

Unbreakable is M. Night's cult hit...and it will only get more and more of a cult following as time passes

Horrorphiliac

fbi
Unbreakable is M. Night's cult hit...and it will only get more and more of a cult following as time passes
glad to hear it. brilliant film.

Lack of emotion? Willis was FANTASTIC in his role, which was chock full of emotion. This tormented, lost man is mesmerizing in his subtle desperation. I do not agree, at all. Everyone was so great in this film, especially Willis...
Ok. I do disagree but there is no point in going over and over it.

If fact since this thread has what appears to be so many sacred cows for so many people and I disagree with most of them, I'll simply step away. I'm not here to start fire storms.

Each to their own and all that.

Firestorm? We just talkin, man

Perhaps illustrate some of the issues with the performances in a scene specific manner?

Probably won't surprise anyone to hear I have issues with Shyamalan's films, too. Especially that silly made for TV thing about the Village, with a bunch of old hippies scaring themselves and their kids. I thought The Others was awfully unspooky for a spook show. I've gotten more shivers out of cartoons of Casper the Friendly Ghost. (Or maybe it was just that actress, whatzerface, sleepwalking through yet another role.) Signs was silly--I'm just not into crop circles, "grays," or Mel Gibson. That other film about the kid who sees ghosts was better (I keep thinking of it as The Third Try when Shyamalan almost got it right), but it wasn't hard to spot the gimmick in that one. Moment the kid comes home from school, sees mom and the psychiatrist sitting in the living room and Mom gets up and leaves without saying a word, it was obvious what was happening. Still the kid was good to watch and I liked the way he handled all of his "sightings." But you can understand that, based on my reactions to those other films, I haven't rushed off to the one about the guy who may be a real-life superhero. Besides, I think that's already been done to a certain degree--I remember a movie about a kid who thinks he's become immortal after the death of his grandfather and goes around touching 3rd rails and stuff. Anyway, I favor regular human heroes with feet of clay like Dustin Hoffman who goes aboard a crashed aircraft to rob the victims and becomes instead the Hero by pulling folks to safety.

I saw it a looooong time ago. I can't get into real specifics because I don't remember it in detail. I just found it to be slow paced and Willis to seem wooden.

You don't think if I said I didn't like most of the movies on here, naming each one and saying why, that would start a firestorm of sorts? I think it would.

We can talk of course but some people do get emotional about their movies. Some take these things as a personal attack. It's understandable that they do. If a movie touched them on an emotional level and resonated for them it would seem like an attack if someone else strongly disliked it or thought it sucked. I totally get that.

I saw the first Rocky during an overseas flight and liked it. Didn't care much about the others--Rocky 2 was still fairly interesting but they dropped quickly in quality after that. Don't know if I ever got as far as Rocky 5. But I did meet the guy who played the Russian boxer in one Rocky and was surprised that he's shorter than me (I'm 5' 11"). Kirk Douglas was shorter than me, too.

fbi
I saw the first Rocky during an overseas flight and liked it. Didn't care much about the others--Rocky 2 was still fairly interesting but they dropped quickly in quality after that. Don't know if I ever got as far as Rocky 5. But I did meet the guy who played the Russian boxer in one Rocky and was surprised that he's shorter than me (I'm 5' 11"). Kirk Douglas was shorter than me, too.

the russian boxer? dolph lungren? I think u may have made a misatke there.
Stallone is 5'10-5'11. I met him in the balboa premiere and he didnt even look that short.

Now u look at rocky 4 where dolph is next to stallone. Dolph lungren towers over stallone. he must be something like 6'4.

The Others wasn't a Shyamalan film. It was...It's Amenabar, who also did Open Your Eyes (which was later re-made as Vanilla Sky, by C Crowe).

I really like Amenabar, a whole lot, and I liked The Others quite a bit.

Note: D Lundgren's bio says he is 6'5"

Probably won't surprise anyone to hear I have issues with Shyamalan's films, too...I thought The Others was awfully unspooky for a spook show. I've gotten more shivers out of cartoons of Casper the Friendly Ghost. (Or maybe it was just that actress, whatzerface, sleepwalking through yet another role?)

Yeah, well I'm no supporter of the guy either, but M. Night had absolutely nothing to do with The Others (2001) starring Nicole Kidman....other than to say it was the mega-success of The Sixth Sense that likely got it put into production. No, that flick was written and directed by Chilean filmmaker Alejandro Amenábar (Open Your Eyes, The Sea Inside).

And I, too, liked The Others. No masterpiece or incredibly difficult to unwravel, but a good psychological ghost story.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, For those who haven't seen them, check out Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) and Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside). The Sea Inside is not the most cheery film, but the lead, Javier Bardem is really good, and really plays the role well. It's been about two years since I saw either of these films, but, I remember being quite moved by both of them... Which reminds me...there is another film about a cuban writer that I liked a whole lot, as well...but the name escapes me...

I think the main complaint I heard about Unbreakable was that it "wasn't as good as The Sixth Sense", which isn't saying it's a bad film, but just that it wasn't as impressive as the then massively popular supernatural thriller.
Personally, I enjoyed Unbreakable more than The Sixth Sense. It had less flaws in it and the twist as well was just super duper.
Both films seemed to have that emotional downer to them though. I suppose I'd agree to what bleacheddecay said about the lack of emotion if he was primarily speaking of the positive, exhilarating kind.