Iron Man

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of Iron Man, which I saw at Midnight with a group of friends. It's every bit as good as you've heard. Pretty much everyone loved it, and the reaction to the extra scene after the credits was so uproarious that it drowned out some of the dialogue.

Iron Man

Hollywood hasn't always been entirely sure how to adapt comic books onto film. So much of the source material strived for social relevance by addressing the issues of its day, but people can be forgiven for concluding that fun escapism should be the chief goal of any adaptation. Who wants to take civics lessons from a guy bitten by a radioactive spider, after all?

The results have been somewhat schizophrenic, as the genre is inhabited by both carefree efforts like Fantastic Four, and somber, believable films like Batman Begins. Iron Man is one of the few capable of effectively splitting the difference. It manages to be an enjoyable distraction without becoming mindless entertainment.

It does this by focusing less on the suit, and more on the man inside. This man is Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), a billionaire weapons manufacturer who is, by all appearances, the most brilliant engineer the world has ever known. Downey plays Stark like a cross between Steve Jobs and Arthur Bach, and gets to deliver a wide array of one-liners. He's the kind of character so good at what he does, and so unapologetic about knowing it, that his manner transcends arrogance and becomes style.

This changes in the film's opening minutes, which introduce us to Stark's unique personality, and immediately throw his life into chaos as he's injured and apprehended by terrorists in Afghanistan armed with the weapons he created. They want him to build them a version of his latest invention, the Jericho missile, and provide him with all the tools he needs. Instead, he constructs a giant suit made of iron, which runs off of a miniature "arc reactor" in his chest, placed there to regulate the shrapnel in his body.

Stark escapes, and returns to the United States a changed man, deeply moved and conflicted by the things he's seen. Determined not to be remembered only for the destruction he helped inflict, he constructs a more elaborate version of the iron man suit from his home to help him track down and destroy weapons of his which have fallen into the wrong hands.

Iron Man works for a number of reasons, but the most notable is surely the cast. Gwyneth Paltrow plays Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts. Terrence Howard plays Air Force officer Jim Rhodes, and Jeff Bridges plays Stark Industries second in command, Obadiah Stane. Director Jon Favreau has wisely resisted the urge to cast megastars in the film's primary roles, instead opting for actors who inhabit their roles without overpowering them. The decision pays dividends from the title card to the credits by injecting a little extra gravitas into every scene.

A few things about Iron Man set it apart from other superhero films. For one, it's funnier than any superhero film you've ever seen, and a good deal wittier than most. Chalk this up to Downey, whose debaucherous depiction of the title character feels effortless every moment he's on the screen. It's also surprisingly light on action. There's plenty of great visual work here to gawk at, but it spends as much time on the development of the suit as its use. The most remarkable thing about this, however, is that it doesn't hurt the film one bit.

It's probably no coincidence that the first film fully financed and controlled by the new Marvel Studios exhibits such an affection for the world it depicts. The love for the story and its characters is evident in every frame.

I'd be terribly remiss if I didn't note the little bit of comic book candy after the credits. Marvel tops off an already great film with an exciting indication of what's to come. The extra scene constitutes a gutsy promise to Marvel fans that, if Iron Man is any indicator, they are fully prepared to deliver on.

Though many films have been made from Marvel properties to date, Iron Man feels like the start of something new. It is a comic book film created by people who know and love comic books, and figures to go down as one of the best superhero films ever made.

Quasi-spoilers follow. Nothing explicit, but just in case...

WARNING: "Iron Man" spoilers below
I love, love, love, love the way this film ended. I can appreciate the "with great power comes great responsibility" angle and like that other superhero films have emphasized the sacrifice involved, but that just wouldn't have worked here. The ended was completely in keeping with Stark's character. Loved it.

Great review Chris... I've always loved Downey and am really looking forward to seeing this...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

This movie rocked plus Chris did such a good review all i can say is the movie is a 10 for sure!!! i suggest you drop everything your doing and check it out!
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

You're a Genius all the time
That was a sweet review, Yoda-man. I agree 100% with everything you wrote and your overall rating for the movie is right on. Iron Man was the balls (pardon my french). I haven't seen Batman Begins since it came out, but I think it's safe to say this my absolute favorite superhero flick. I'm really happy Favreau gave Downey Jr. this kind of opportunity because casting him was a fairly risky move. But, like everyone else has said, Downey Jr. was completely perfect and hilarious and I can't imagine anyone else as Stark. What a cool flippin performance in a majorly cool movie.

And yeah, there were quite a few nerdgasms (those are nerd orgasms for all you lame-a-zoids) in my local theater when that extra scene tacked on after the credits appeared.

Jeez-o-man!! I can't get over how awesome this movie was. I'm going to try and see it again tomorrow. If The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones are half as good as this ruckus... that would be amazing.

I hope to see this over the weekend, but what excites me is that comicbook movies are still being produced that are exciting and great. I thought thus far that X-Men was a wonderful on screen adaptation, not 5 star or anything, but fun to watch, just as comics were fun to read. Iron Man was one of the comics I collected on a regular basis, along with quite a few others. Anyway even without seeing this yet, I almost know for sure I am going to love it. I know many are tired of comic adaptations, but there are a many great stories out there. I think the many that do not like comic films either do not like action/fiction or in mose cases are tired of lame movies with superhereos. I am a comicbook fan to the bone, and although there is not much on the stands today that I buy, the golden/silver/80's age of comics were a staple of reading for me, so it is nice to see this transition to film.

Fan-flipping-tastic! I like a lot of these comic movies even when they aren't very good so its kind of a bonus when they turn out to be quite good on top of it.

I think I may have liked this slightly more than the first Spiderman, just slightly though. I really loved all the stuff with the suits and the robotics and all that jazz. Only trouble I see now is, since the first one was so good, they had better keep most of the same team together or some of the fan's will be throwing Iron Man under the bus the same way they did to Spidey.

I don't really care though, I've said it once and I'll say it again I hope they make a million of these. Guys like me and 7thson and many others who read so many of these stories during the 80's can tell you that there is an almost limitless supply of avenues that Marvel studios can go down for story material. I hope they make them all.

Saw it yesterday. Amazing! My favorite comic book character. So cool, and the soundtrack is amazing

Colour out of Time
Saw it last night at the flicks ... great

Although for me and those that I saw it with ... that scene when Gwyneth was in that knee high black dress, got a bit distracted by her legs ... but it was a good distraction

Yeah I thought it was a very interesting cast. I liked it. Very well done movie. If this is the way Marvel studios plans to make all of their films from now on then BRAVO!

I saw this today, and completely agree with everything that's been said here. The casting choice of Robert Downey, Jr. was a stroke of genius. He was perfect.

Sadly, I was with my kids and we didn't stay through the credits.
::sigh:: I guess I'll just have to go see it again. Oh, the sacrifices I make....

Yeah, that one. Jrs ,scroll down where dude?

Does it spoil the ending of the actual film?
Sorry, wrong Iron Man thread. Here.....

"At the end of the credits
WARNING: "Iron Man" spoilers below
Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) comes home and finds Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) in his living room -staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative".

and no it doesn't ruin anything.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, over 100 Million for the weekend.

Nice job. I believe this is the 2nd film to to that, that is not a sequel, the first one was Spider-Man.

Suspect's Reviews